Arsenal, Pt. X: Boom-Xhaka-Laca!

Dr LBC

23 hours ago, The LBC said:

This.  Iwobi is a more natural #10 than a winger, but it's Arsenal... everyone starts on the wing or gets forced there at some point. 

Don't think this is really just an Arsenal thing, it's also a statement on where the sport has gone tactically with more and more managers deciding that playing a pure #10 is too much of a disadvantage defensively. Players who were #10's a decade or really even 5 ago are either having to learn how to play on the wing (ala James Rodriguez) or play deeper as a pure central midfielder (ala Kevin De Bruyne). We accommodated Ozil in the 4-2-3-1 but we were just about the last major club playing in that formation; the new 3 atb setup gives us quasi #10's but they end up playing wider and are expected to contribute more defensively than a pure #10. 

Iwobi doesn't have world class potential so it'll never make sense to play him as a #10 long-term wherever he ends up. He needs to learn how to play as a winger in order to succeed in his career. 

1 hour ago, khodder said:

I thought Cech could've done better on the first two Leicester goals

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Cech had a rough day.  The goals conceded were definitely group efforts - it seemed clear that no one was really organizing the defense, particularly on set pieces, but on the day, Cech stayed on his line way more than I would have liked.  A bit too passive of a day as a keeper from him for me.  Then again, while Ospina would have been more active, he'd also probably have gotten himself knocked unconscious inside of the first 20 minutes...

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Cech had a rough day.  The goals conceded were definitely group efforts - it seemed clear that no one was really organizing the defense, particularly on set pieces, but on the day, Cech stayed on his line way more than I would have liked.  A bit too passive of a day as a keeper from him for me.  Then again, while Ospina would have been more active, he'd also probably have gotten himself knocked unconscious inside of the first 20 minutes...

I think him coming and missing on the first goal made him a little hesitant on the second goal. He's experienced enough to put that behind him though.

Just now, Eagles $5$ said:

Was very impressed with Lacazette. I thought it will take some time for him to adjust, but it looks like he is going to score a lot of goal if he stays fit. 

What the deal with Sanchez??? Is it going to get sorted out soon?

Honestly, it's difficult to really put a finger on other than that "he wants to win" at its most base form.

The guy is ultra-competitive and I think the fact that a number of our players last season (and over the past several years) have gotten quite complacent and too-comfortable doesn't sit well with him.  You have to remember, this is a guy who came up under Marcelo Bielsa and is competitive as all hell.

I still won't be surprised if we ultimately do end up selling him abroad by or before deadline day, but the injury he has right now is legit (David Ornstein confirmed as much earlier this week).  The only reason I have a hard time believing the PSG connections is the circumstances under which the Neymar transfer happened.  If they bring in Alexis on the 50m+ rumored fee, they're almost certainly going to have to do some selling unless UEFA just completely blows off FFP where they're concerned (which given that they're owned by Qataris, I wouldn't put past them).

For me, anything less than 60m on the current market (and that with him going abroad), it's simply not worth it to me to sell him.  He's the sort that if he can play he's going to give it his all - it's not in him to dog it even if he's irritated.  And ultimately, having Alexis in the side gives Arsenal a markedly better chance of making it back to Top 4 and CL... where the money awarded for CL qualification is more than some of the paltry sums we've seen tossed out there as potential transfer fees to take him off our hands.

I would be surprised if we decide to sell Alexis at this point.  Unless PSG blows us out of the water with an 80+ million euro bid, I think Arsene will remain resolute on holding onto him.  I don't get the sense from Alexis that he's unhappy here; he just wants to compete in the Champions League.  He's a competitor.  I don't believe re-signing him is out of the realm of possibility if we have a good year and compete for the title, so I'm glad that Arsene and the Board has taken such a firm stance.

How about this opening weekend, eh?  It looks like this will be another season of big teams dropping points at unexpected times, so it should make for an interesting year.  I'm not too worried about conceding 3 goals against Leceister.  First of all, Leceister looks to be closer to their 15-16 form than their form last year.  Also, we were down our first 3 choice center backs, and far outshot Leceister on the day.  Going forward, it will be interesting to see what Wenger does with the wing backs.  I think Kolasinac should be a no-brainer at LWB, but Wenger clearly wants to reward Ox for his improved play and is reluctant to drop Bellerin.  On form, Hector shouldn't be starting, but I wonder if Wenger has the cojones to make that type of decision with Barca is his ear.

On 8/12/2017 at 1:00 PM, charger-man said:

I would be surprised if we decide to sell Alexis at this point.  Unless PSG blows us out of the water with an 80+ million euro bid, I think Arsene will remain resolute on holding onto him.  I don't get the sense from Alexis that he's unhappy here; he just wants to compete in the Champions League.  He's a competitor.  I don't believe re-signing him is out of the realm of possibility if we have a good year and compete for the title, so I'm glad that Arsene and the Board has taken such a firm stance.

How about this opening weekend, eh?  It looks like this will be another season of big teams dropping points at unexpected times, so it should make for an interesting year.  I'm not too worried about conceding 3 goals against Leceister.  First of all, Leceister looks to be closer to their 15-16 form than their form last year.  Also, we were down our first 3 choice center backs, and far outshot Leceister on the day.  Going forward, it will be interesting to see what Wenger does with the wing backs.  I think Kolasinac should be a no-brainer at LWB, but Wenger clearly wants to reward Ox for his improved play and is reluctant to drop Bellerin.  On form, Hector shouldn't be starting, but I wonder if Wenger has the cojones to make that type of decision with Barca is his ear.

Ox really isn't playing better than Hector is.

I do believe the aim is to play Kolasinac as a WB, but I won't be totally shocked if Arsene decides to roll with two "defensive" wingbacks, particularly since Hector really is as much a RW with mediocre cross as he is a natural RFB.  I think Ox starting on the left is also a product of Alexis not being fit (we'll see once the Liverpool match rolls around because that's the one he's projected to be fit for) and wanting someone who will carry the ball and make runs up that flank as it is "rewarding Ox" to try and entire him into an extension.

As to Alexis, I trust the reports that say we haven't actually received a bid for him yet, but that we will - because it only makes sense for someone to test out resolve.  That said, unless someone goes to ridiculous level, I just don't see Arsene doing it.  I think this is one of those instances where his stubbornness is going to kick in and he's picked his hill to die on.  I don't see Alexis as the sort to hand in a transfer request and I don't think Arsene does either.