Arsenal, Pt. X: Boom-Xhaka-Laca!

Dr LBC

26 minutes ago, marky mark said:

DIlxFEKXYAAVXC5.jpg

>:(

Posted it in the Transfer Thread but Arsenal have made money this window even when you include wages from the two signings. That is just astonishing. Their wage problems are either exponentially bigger than they let on or they're just an absolute joke. 

Hah remember how the defense of keeping Wenger for the past several years was "we don't want to become another Liverpool"? 

Funny how things work out!

Beyond the absolute shambles of the Alexis/Lemar transfer sagas I'm also completely floored that we never even made an attempt at signing a central midfielder this window. It was a clear need before the season even started at least from a depth standpoint and the start of the season only underlined the need for quality there with Xhaka and Ramsey looking completely out of sync.

Of course ignoring obvious needs in the transfer market is the Arsenal special, so it's not that surprising. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder whether Ozil was really injured or whether he was simply benched for this game and was saving face. Iwobi's pressing, energy, and discipline were all excellent and fit the overall team ethic for the day, a huge part of why we were able to mostly handle Chelsea defensively. I'm not sure Ozil could have replicated that. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

On 9/19/2017 at 11:55 AM, texans_uk said:

Remind me why Wenger wanted to sell Mustafi? 

So there's a few rumors I've heard, take them all with a grain of salt:

1. Mustafi just had a child and his wife wanted to be back on the continent so they could be closer to her family, which I believe is from Switzerland.

2. Mustafi and Wenger had a falling out of some sort

3. Mustafi was a StatsDNA signing, and Wenger, trying to stamp his authority over anything and everything Arsenal, wanted to sell him to stick it to the StatsDNA department.

I'd say 1 or 2 is much much more likely than 3, but 3 is fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ivan Gazidis launched an aggressive defence of Arsenal’s transfer policy at a stormy shareholders’ meeting on Thursday, in which he said the club had consistently over-performed when compared to their rivals over recent seasons.

The chief executive was heckled at times from the floor – as was the chairman, Sir Chips Keswick – and when what passed for an open Q&A session was abruptly halted and the meeting declared over, there were boos and a slow handclap.

Gazidis referenced a £200m spend on transfer fees in the last three years and he said the club ought to be judged by “objective metrics” - primarily, an equation that set Premier League points against expenditure. On that basis, he suggested Arsenal would come out on top of the pile.

Guardian Article

Laughable. Claiming they've over performed when they failed to meet their goal of CL football.