Arsenal, Pt. X: Boom-Xhaka-Laca!

Dr LBC

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

I never thought I'd feel sorry for Arsenal fans but I've never seen such a poorly run club or business. 

I just can't believe that they try and spin things and blaming it on income. They're the seventh richest club in the world. Sure they can't compete spending wise with United, City and Chelsea but come on. They can certainly give them a run for their money. 

• 4 weeks later...

What annoys me is the subject of a power shift. Like that result there dismisses the notion of a power shift. So if Spurs win at Wembley, is the power shift back on? Whether you think there is a power shift or not, it shouldn't be impacted by this recent result. It's a rivalry game, so anything can happen. If there is that debate then this result shouldn't change anything.

21 hours ago, marky mark said:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/sven-mislintat-appointed-head-recruitment

Dortmund's chief scout Sven Mislintat appointed as head of recruitment. He's been credited for recruiting the likes of Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Dembele, Kagawa, and Pulisic.

seems good

EDIT: Very excited to be linked with every Dortmund player for the next nine months.

Edited by rcon14

On 11/20/2017 at 8:21 AM, Kip Smithers said:

What annoys me is the subject of a power shift. Like that result there dismisses the notion of a power shift. So if Spurs win at Wembley, is the power shift back on? Whether you think there is a power shift or not, it shouldn't be impacted by this recent result. It's a rivalry game, so anything can happen. If there is that debate then this result shouldn't change anything.

The suggestion of a power shift from the beginning was premature.  I normally hate being the guy that flaunts silverware, but Tottenham need to actually win something in order for there to be an actual shift - and they haven't... in going-on 9 years.  Arsenal have won three trophies (all over which, in the view of most in Britain, are more significant trophies than the last one Spurs won) since Spurs last hoisted one in 2008.

If Spurs actually manage to advance past the Round of 16 in CL then there is deserved talk or backing to talk of a power shift, but until then it's been paper and pundit talk that has been fanned largely because Tottenham have two of the bigger names on the English side right now.

On 11/20/2017 at 10:05 AM, marky mark said:

https://www.arsenal.com/news/sven-mislintat-appointed-head-recruitment

Dortmund's chief scout Sven Mislintat appointed as head of recruitment. He's been credited for recruiting the likes of Lewandowski, Aubameyang, Dembele, Kagawa, and Pulisic.

So this means that we'll now be linked every summer with Aubameyang (and never sign him); I mean, someone had to fill Benzema's shoes in that regard...

15 minutes ago, The LBC said:

The suggestion of a power shift from the beginning was premature.  I normally hate being the guy that flaunts silverware, but Tottenham need to actually win something in order for there to be an actual shift - and they haven't... in going-on 9 years.  Arsenal have won three trophies (all over which, in the view of most in Britain, are more significant trophies than the last one Spurs won) since Spurs last hoisted one in 2008.

If Spurs actually manage to advance past the Round of 16 in CL then there is deserved talk or backing to talk of a power shift, but until then it's been paper and pundit talk that has been fanned largely because Tottenham have two of the bigger names on the English side right now.

I think that's fair. I just think that using Saturday's result as some sort of proof of no power shift is silly.

Just now, Kip Smithers said:

I think that's fair. I just think that using Saturday's result as some sort of proof of no power shift is silly.

Fair enough, sort of.  I'd contend there was never sufficient evidence of a power shift in the first place, so it's kind of moot whether Saturday's result would have trumped said shift.

Setting aside the current "shiny new thing" syndrome, the current Spurs side isn't terribly different from the Arsenal sides of '08/'09 and there was certainly no chatter of a "power shift" in London between Arsenal and Chelsea (granted, Chelsea had a 21-game unbeaten streak that season), because despite beating Chelsea at the Emirates, Arsenal still could get secure the 3 points against the other Top 4 sides in any of those other matches (and in fact took away losses to the likes of Chelsea and United).

Finishing about Arsenal once in 20+ years, "putting pressure" on eventual Champion Chelsea, blowing out Liverpool, and beating a clearly-out-of-form Real Madrid side does not a power shift make, particularly when there's still lean years from stadium building expenses to be survived.

Rumored that we're soon going to announce Barcelona's Raul Sanielhi as a new sporting director. This comes after last week when we announced Sven Mislintat - formerly chief scout at Dortmund - as new head of recruitment. Both are basically newly created positions at the club. 

Can hardly believe what I'm seeing but it damn well looks like we're finally prepping for life after Wenger. Seems like some great appointments too, Mislintat is extremely highly regarded and while it sounds like Sanielhi has had some missteps at Barca recently (failed pursuit of Coutinho and Verratti this summer) he was also involved in securing Suarez and Neymar among others and a decade+ career at a big club will certainly come with  wealth of connections/experience that will suit him well here.

Maybe the 'catalyst for change' talk wasn't complete nonsense after all.... 

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Wenger has said neither Ozil nor Sanchez are leaving in January. 

Either he is hoping Sanchez will carry them to 4th place. 

Or he's delusional and thinks they will sign a new contract. 

I think there's a chance Ozil goes in January if the Barca rumors are true but in general it's hard to know what kind of value you can get on players 6 months before their contract expires. 

Will also come down to who is available to bring in - if we are able to line up a purchase of a player like Fekir or Lemar that will certainly make it more likely that we sell.

Arsenal officially announced Raul Sanllehi as 'head of football operations.' Seems to be more of a contract negotiator/business side type, so it seems like the structure we're aiming for is one in which Sven Mislintat identifies and prioritizes targets and Sanllehi and the contracts team is responsible for getting the deal done. 

I know Wenger has 2 years left on his contract and the likelihood is always with him staying on indefinitely, but I do wonder whether we're setting up a scenario where he leaves this summer - avoiding the uncertainty of having him going into a season with 1 year left on his contract while also giving him the opportunity to take the England or France job at the beginning of an international cycle.  

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

21 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

avoiding the uncertainty of having him going into a season with 1 year left on his contract

Doesn't bother him

22 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

giving him the opportunity to take the England or France job at the beginning of an international cycle.  

You think France would touch him? England would take anyone.