Arsenal, Pt. X: Boom-Xhaka-Laca!

Dr LBC

These Auba links sound like BS to me, he played on the wing a lot earlier in his career but he's an out and out striker at this point in his career and it's the wide forward areas we'll need to strengthen again with Alexis (and probably Walcott too) leaving and Iwobi not really looking up to standard. I guess if Arsene is either thinking about playing Lacazette out wide, which would be awful, or he's thinking about moving to a 2 striker system, it's possible but I can't see it. 

11 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

These Auba links sound like BS to me, he played on the wing a lot earlier in his career but he's an out and out striker at this point in his career and it's the wide forward areas we'll need to strengthen again with Alexis (and probably Walcott too) leaving and Iwobi not really looking up to standard. I guess if Arsene is either thinking about playing Lacazette out wide, which would be awful, or he's thinking about moving to a 2 striker system, it's possible but I can't see it. 

He'd still need wide players either way. If Sanchez goes, it looks seriously lacking there, doesn't it

14 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He'd still need wide players either way. If Sanchez goes, it looks seriously lacking there, doesn't it

Oh absolutely, that's where a big need is. We basically have nothing there once Alexis leaves. Don't think Auba is the one to fill that void though. In terms of the guys we always get linked to it's Mahrez, Draxler, Lemar, and Fekir that at least feel like plausible targets. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Oh absolutely, that's where a big need is. We basically have nothing there once Alexis leaves. Don't think Auba is the one to fill that void though. In terms of the guys we always get linked to it's Mahrez, Draxler, Lemar, and Fekir that at least feel like plausible targets. 

Always thought Reus was a perfect fit, but that's gone now. What happened to him, just always injured? Arsenal been linked with Draxler for so long now lol.

45 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Always thought Reus was a perfect fit, but that's gone now. What happened to him, just always injured?

He would be perfect to replace Sanchez but I think he would die at Arsenal haha. Reus just returned to training after getting injured in May. 

On 1/4/2018 at 9:45 AM, marky mark said:

Mislintat's first signing

And he's likely loaned out to Werder Bremen for the remainder of the season immediately.  Good potential-for-the-future signing who needs more minutes and even Wenger said he wasn't ready for the first team here, but sometimes this is what you've got to do in order to get prospects these days.  We knock them for it all the time, but Chelsea's "buy them young, ship them out, and at worst case you sell them on for value later" model has done well by them.  Some Greek sources have talked Mavropanos up as having the capacity to develop into another Manolas or Sokratis, but he's not there yet.  Nice to see us actually looking at tall (6'4"), ball-winning defenders who need to work on their distribution and passing out of the backfield rather than putting the emphasis on the later and trying to coach the former into them.  Kind of feel like between this guy and Bielik we'll end up getting at least a quality rotational/3rd CB by or before 2020.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marky mark said:

He would be perfect to replace Sanchez but I think he would die at Arsenal haha. Reus just returned to training after getting injured in May. 

I still want/prefer Fekir and I'm terribly worried he's going to put in work to ratchet up his likely transfer cost this summer in the WC.  We severely need someone who can play the flank and put in a proper cross; we haven't had such a player since Sagna moved on.  It's been so apparent because you've got youngsters like Maitland-Niles and Nelson who aren't even natural wingback or wingers looking like the best in the squad at putting in crosses.

On 1/5/2018 at 8:04 PM, The LBC said:

I still want/prefer Fekir and I'm terribly worried he's going to put in work to ratchet up his likely transfer cost this summer in the WC.  We severely need someone who can play the flank and put in a proper cross; we haven't had such a player since Sagna moved on.  It's been so apparent because you've got youngsters like Maitland-Niles and Nelson who aren't even natural wingback or wingers looking like the best in the squad at putting in crosses.

I rate Fekir but I think he's more of a replacement for Ozil rather than Sanchez.

2 hours ago, marky mark said:

I rate Fekir but I think he's more of a replacement for Ozil rather than Sanchez.

Fekir's no #10.  He's the classic French wide forward (much more in the mold - I'm not saying he's the class of player but he plays a very similar style - to Griezmann).  I could see Mahrez being seen as an Ozil replacement, but not Fekir.

And that's all I really feel like talking about Arsenal today because I find myself not even mad (aside maybe at Jonathan Moss, but I've come to expect this from him so it's par for the course, should be expected, and played with the expectation he's going to be lazy, egotistical, and crap), I'm just disappointed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Nah Fekir is closer to Sanchez than he is Ozil. He can play anywhere behind the striker. @The LBC made the Griezmann comparison, that’s not far off. I view him more as a Dybala mold tbh.

Yeah, I was referring more to the role than an out-and-out player comp.  I watch a decent amount of Les Bleus and Blanc has deployed him, on his recent call-ups, in that wide-forward (usually on the right, but I think that's more due to preference of Martial and Lemar (and Payet before them) to play through the left).