Arsenal, Pt. X: Boom-Xhaka-Laca!

Dr LBC

27 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Nope.  Feels like Gadzidis caved to the pressure from fans who - let's be real - like to pretend they know as much about running a football club as people who have been immersed in the sport as high levels since youth and were never going to be happy with any hire because they were expecting/"demanding" managers to bail on CL-qualified clubs to come here to dig us out of Europa on a less-competitive budget compared to major rivals.  So he went with a "safe hire."

I can't help but feel like we hired the managerial equivalent of Pat Shurmur - someone who can keep you mildly competitive but who you're never going to perceive as a title-winning coach because he just lacks the gusto.

Gadzidis also better pray to whatever God he believes in that Arteta doesn't turn out to be a quality manager if and when he finally does get an appointment (fairly confident at this point it will be whenever Pep hits his usual burnout wall and vacates the post at City; if Arteta doesn't turn right around now and take over NYCFC with Vieira taking the Nice job), because pulling out in the 11th hour like this will have well and truly burned that bridge between us and Mikel.

That narrative - that Gazidis got 'cold feet' at the last second - seems to mostly coming from the ITK's and reporters spinning this after they turned out to be wrong in promising Arteta was the guy for the past week and a half. Seems more like Arteta was a candidate but not the only one, while the club went about quietly conducting a broader search process without leaking many of the rest of the names. Some of the stories that came out bigging up Arteta's role at City were likely coming from him/his camp as a way of campaigning for the job. 

I like the appointment a whole lot more than I do hiring someone like Arteta who may be great but is all just conjecture and wishcasting at this point about who he might be rather than who he actually is. Emery is a young guy who ran into some struggles in his first big job at PSG but also showed some promise, he's exactly what we need post-Wenger in terms of bringing in a manager with more tactical know-how and attention-to-detail, and coming from PSG means he's not completely in the dark about what it's like to work at a bigger club either. I think Arsenal is a great 2nd chance for him at a bigger club and he seems to have the right kind of personality/desire to succeed to try to make the most of that chance. 

On 5/21/2018 at 5:38 PM, BaltimoreTerp said:

That narrative - that Gazidis got 'cold feet' at the last second - seems to mostly coming from the ITK's and reporters spinning this after they turned out to be wrong in promising Arteta was the guy for the past week and a half. Seems more like Arteta was a candidate but not the only one, while the club went about quietly conducting a broader search process without leaking many of the rest of the names. Some of the stories that came out bigging up Arteta's role at City were likely coming from him/his camp as a way of campaigning for the job. 

I like the appointment a whole lot more than I do hiring someone like Arteta who may be great but is all just conjecture and wishcasting at this point about who he might be rather than who he actually is. Emery is a young guy who ran into some struggles in his first big job at PSG but also showed some promise, he's exactly what we need post-Wenger in terms of bringing in a manager with more tactical know-how and attention-to-detail, and coming from PSG means he's not completely in the dark about what it's like to work at a bigger club either. I think Arsenal is a great 2nd chance for him at a bigger club and he seems to have the right kind of personality/desire to succeed to try to make the most of that chance. 

I really like the hiring as well. Emery did very well at Valencia and Sevilla and I dont think he was terrible at PSG by any stretch of the imagination. If Arsenal give him time and support him while he builds the squad I think they could have found a worthy successor. 

14 minutes ago, texans_uk said:

Probably not what you need next year to challenge for top 4 though.

No, but it's a 17-year-old attacking mid prodigy (or close thereabouts) who would be signing his first professional contract - assuming he's specifically choose to follow Emery, it would be because he trusts the coach with his development, so if the coach tells him he needs to spend a year or two as a reservist or out on loan he's not likely to argue.  Choosing to not also look to the future while focusing solely on getting back into a highly-competitive Top 4 is flat out stupid, and I think you know that, too.

20 minutes ago, The LBC said:

No, but it's a 17-year-old attacking mid prodigy (or close thereabouts) who would be signing his first professional contract - assuming he's specifically choose to follow Emery, it would be because he trusts the coach with his development, so if the coach tells him he needs to spend a year or two as a reservist or out on loan he's not likely to argue.  Choosing to not also look to the future while focusing solely on getting back into a highly-competitive Top 4 is flat out stupid, and I think you know that, too.

Of course you need to look to the future.

But you have to think Liverpool just signed Fabinho and are after Allison and Fakhir.

Tottenham will invest heavily this summer as will City, Chelsea and United.

What's the old saying, if you aren't moving forward you are falling behind, and that's the direction Arsenal are going in right now.

Lichtsteiner, Sokratis and a 17 potential gem aren't steps forward.

I'll give Emery time as he's only just arrived and he could pull something out of the hat, and he has a history of working with an "inferior" squad previously. I would be anxious as an Arsenal fan though.

4 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Probably not what you need next year to challenge for top 4 though.

No one said that ?

Do you think Sokratis and Lichtsteiner could help fix our leadership issues? Which players do you think we should sign to improve our terrible away form?

7 minutes ago, marky mark said:

No one said that ?

Do you think Sokratis and Lichtsteiner could help fix our leadership issues? Which players do you think we should sign to improve our terrible away form?

Did having an aging Petr Cech or Per Mertesacker help this year?

If I was an Arsenal fan I wouldn't want to hear about signing 17 year old kids who could turn into the next Yano Sanogo.

I'd want to hear about concrete links to top players to help dig you out of the hole.

I can understand 

8 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Of course you need to look to the future.

But you have to think Liverpool just signed Fabinho and are after Allison and Fakhir.

Tottenham will invest heavily this summer as will City, Chelsea and United.

What's the old saying, if you aren't moving forward you are falling behind, and that's the direction Arsenal are going in right now.

Lichtsteiner, Sokratis and a 17 potential gem aren't steps forward.

I'll give Emery time as he's only just arrived and he could pull something out of the hat, and he has a history of working with an "inferior" squad previously. I would be anxious as an Arsenal fan though.

You've pinpointed in those 3 players one veteran depth player, one in-his-prime starter, and a wunderkind for the future.

If we can't sign players who will serve as veteran depth, players who are in their prime and ready to slot into the starting XI, or extremely talented youngsters yet to reach their prime, what exactly is the profile we should be looking for? 

Obviously we'd prefer to be lining up the Alisson's and Fabinho's and Bale's of the world but we know that's not where we're at right now as a club and we have to make due with that. It took Klopp a couple of years of building before he got to this place where he can lure anyone he wants to Liverpool. To rebuild the club first he had to work with what he had, coach that team up, and take aim at the mid-level/high ceiling type signings like Mane and Wijnauldum and try to push the club forward that way. Emery will be asked to to do the same here to start, and it's not like the cupboard here is bare either, especially considering Mikhi and Auba are basically still new to the club as well. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Did having an aging Petr Cech or Per Mertesacker help this year?

If I was an Arsenal fan I wouldn't want to hear about signing 17 year old kids who could turn into the next Yano Sanogo.

I'd want to hear about concrete links to top players to help dig you out of the hole.

Well, some of us don't have the benefit of supporting clubs who will throw audacious sums of money at top players to the point that they don't care that you finished 6th and aren't able to offer them Champions League football immediately.

• Like 1