NFL Draft Thread Part 2 : Post-Draft Talk (UDFA Talk here as well)

steelcurtain29

On 2018-05-03 at 3:22 PM, warfelg said:

I agree if he needed this to light a fire he needs better motivation. But I’ll add that’s not how I read it.

Bens a drama queen. We all know this. That’s all this was. Stir up some drama. Good news for us is every time he stirs up drama he plays at an MVP level. So keep stirring up some drama Ben! Maybe we should ask Favre to suit up!

the problem is that while he wants  drama ,  he has the most talent in the NFL on his offence and what have we won? 

17 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

the problem is that while he wants  drama ,  he has the most talent in the NFL on his offence and what have we won? 

2 Super Bowls? I get what you're saying. This is the best Offense in the NFL (imo) but it isn't the Offense that USUALLY let's them down. It could be more consistent but in the one Playoff game against a top Defense (#1 or #2 depending on criteria) they scored 42pts and Ben threw for 469 yds and 5 TDs. What more do you want out of the Offense?

30 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The problem is our defense and its been proven that defense wins championships

That is such an overrated cliche.

Not downplaying that defense is important to winning championships, but I've grown to hate that saying.

In regards to Ben, this is why I didn't want to draft a quarterback early. He isn't the mentoring type. He is a drama queen and a d bag. If he were clearly regressing, I wouldn't mind... But I do think he can play another 3 to 5 years. Such a wasted pick considering how many shortcomings we have on defense.

1 hour ago, FourThreeMafia said:

In regards to Ben, this is why I didn't want to draft a quarterback early. He isn't the mentoring type. He is a drama queen and a d bag. If he were clearly regressing, I wouldn't mind... But I do think he can play another 3 to 5 years. Such a wasted pick considering how many shortcomings we have on defense.

Yeah, and also to your point, imagine if we drafted an RB early as well O.o. Bell would be 10x worse.

2 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Yeah, and also to your point, imagine if we drafted an RB early as well O.o. Bell would be 10x worse.

Exactly why I lobbied so hard against taking RB early. 

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not downplaying that defense is important to winning championships, but I've grown to hate that saying.

it is more true in the NBA because no one plays defense so when a team can play defense it generally comes out above it's opponents

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

My point is, no matter how good the offense is if you dont have a defense capabale of coming up big when you need it most, youre gonna have a hard time winning championships. We definitelty dont have that D.

13 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

My point is, no matter how good the offense is if you dont have a defense capabale of coming up big when you need it most, youre gonna have a hard time winning championships. We definitelty dont have that D.

I believe that D is important, not quite the way it was way back, but still important. my point was that with all the talent Ben has, he should be able too outscore teams no problem even if we have to score 40+pts. 

It doesn't appear we have the D, there would have too be break out seasons but dupree and burns and then the experiments would have to work and everyone has to stay healthy. If that all happens, it's quite a serving fo crow for us ain't it:o

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

It's not even a full defense anymore.  You need a good pass rush.  That's it.  Other than the Seattle and Bronco's those teams that won didn't really have a dominating corner, especially the teams that were in it.  They had a good corner, but they also had an impressive pass rush.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

It's not even a full defense anymore.  You need a good pass rush.  That's it.  Other than the Seattle and Bronco's those teams that won didn't really have a dominating corner, especially the teams that were in it.  They had a good corner, but they also had an impressive pass rush.

Our secondary was never special during the years our defense was dominant.    Troy was great, but beyond that the talent was, at best, solid.    Everyone knows by now what I thought of Ike Taylor, Ryan Clark had his moments but was never much more than a decent complimentary piece to Troy, and our corners beyond Ike were never really starting quality....but much like Ike, were made to look much better due to the dominant front 7 in front of them.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I can agree with that for the most part....I just hate that saying because it oversimplifies a complex answer, and people chant it like it sums up everything.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I have both a statement and a question. 

First the statement, the prospect of matthew thomas really excites me and I hope he makes the roster.

The question, if he does make the roster, who doesnt as a result?

with all the talk of various schemes, maybe the final 53 will have a different number of players for positions than usual.  We had 5 OLB last year, normally 4. Do we go back to 5?

Archived