NFL Draft Thread Part 2 : Post-Draft Talk (UDFA Talk here as well)

steelcurtain29

Just now, 95lloyd said:

The operative word being "seemingly".  We'll never know because he was taken in the first round by us.  That is where the Steelers valued him.  If we had taken Harrison would there have been a discussion of why we reached for him?  Some people wanted him at 28 but he fell to the bottom of the third round.  The fact is outside of the top 15-20 picks there were a bunch of guys with similar value.  The steelers selected the guy they thought best suited them,  only time will tell if the pick is a reach

Yes. Absolutely. Ditto (for me at least) for Jesse Bates and Justin Reid too. 

1 minute ago, 95lloyd said:

The operative word being "seemingly".  We'll never know because he was taken in the first round by us.  That is where the Steelers valued him.  If we had taken Harrison would there have been a discussion of why we reached for him?  Some people wanted him at 28 but he fell to the bottom of the third round.  The fact is outside of the top 15-20 picks there were a bunch of guys with similar value.  The steelers selected the guy they thought best suited them,  only time will tell if the pick is a reach

I really don't think Harrison would've been the right pick either.  I do think Harold Landry or Justin Reid would've been better picks, although to my surprise Justin Reid fell quite a distance.  Harrison, imo, isn't going to be a very good NFL safety, he isn't a coverage safety in the slightest.  I said as much prior to the draft.  Edmunds won't start on day one outside of sub-packages, believe that.  

16 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Understood 1st 2 picks but the rest of the draft failed to improve team for this year.

Liked Rudolph’s value but makes Dobbs pick even worse...had to burn 2 mid rd picks.

OT very raw...again long term it makes sense but he doesn’t dress this year most likely

Like Samuels but what is he? We have Nix....is he 3rd RB behind Conner? He probably replaces Grimble.

Allen isn’t that good IMO.

Guessing they sign another vet ILB?

Top 3 2019 needs....RB/ILB/OLB...again.

I think Samuels is Le'Veon Bell out of the backfield

30 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I feel bad for Henderson and guys like him. He’s a niche guy and it seems like his niche is drying up. The league continues to talk about how to replace him.

I used to love watching great returners. Too bad they’re going extinct.

Henderson is going to have to prove he can run the jet sweep better than Samuels. That he can provide contributions in the return game. And that he can cover kicks better than DHB. So it's like Henderson with all that or DHB? Plus, you save slightly under $1m if you go Henderson over DHB.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Thomas has some character red flags.  I was a little surprised the Steelers signed him.  His athleticism gives him a decent chance to make the team.

As stated, all I've seen as far as "red flags" have been academic. I don't see any arrests or oppositional behavior. It isn't clear to me if the academics is a learning disability thing or a discipline/maturity thing. I'm guessing the later considering if it was a learning disability we wouldn't be hearing it as an "off the field" issue. Well school is out. Grades don't matter. They met with him prior to the draft and whatever took place in the discussions went well enough for them to take a chance on him. Hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity and studies the playbook hard because it would appear we need him as much as he needs us. 

30 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

As stated, all I've seen as far as "red flags" have been academic. I don't see any arrests or oppositional behavior. It isn't clear to me if the academics is a learning disability thing or a discipline/maturity thing. I'm guessing the later considering if it was a learning disability we wouldn't be hearing it as an "off the field" issue. Well school is out. Grades don't matter. They met with him prior to the draft and whatever took place in the discussions went well enough for them to take a chance on him. Hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity and studies the playbook hard because it would appear we need him as much as he needs us. 

According to what I read, his "academic issues" came at the same time as the death of his mother.  Speculation was that both were directly linked.  I can't imagine what it's like to lose my mother, I'm fortunate that she's still around.  I can imagine that it would effect someone mentally.  I'm guessing this was the case and he suffered the consequences but he rebounded and got back on his feet so to speak.

20 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

According to what I read, his "academic issues" came at the same time as the death of his mother.  Speculation was that both were directly linked.  I can't imagine what it's like to lose my mother, I'm fortunate that she's still around.  I can imagine that it would effect someone mentally.  I'm guessing this was the case and he suffered the consequences but he rebounded and got back on his feet so to speak.

Agreed. I don't think know how I would have handled that at that age. Not well I'm sure. I wouldn't consider that a "red flag". There may have been some other issue(s) going on because I would like to think no team would hold that against him. Either way, all of that his behind him and he's a Steeler. All he needs to do is learn the playbook and let his play earn a him a long term deal. Fingers crossed. 

2 hours ago, Money said:

I like the center prospect. Morris. 37 reps. 35 1/2" vert. 7.34 3 cone. He's strong and nimble. Ideal characteristics for interior lineman

A guy on another Steelers board who knows his stuff said Morris has a real solid chance to stick...said injuries last 2 years hurt him draft wise.

Just now, steelcurtain29 said:

I like what I saw from Trey Johnson. Seems like he has great instincts and is a good tackler, but his speed looks concerning to me.

Johnson ran a 4.38 and when I see a guy getting beat with that type of speed, I immediately know it’s his technique.  He doesn’t have any cut ups but I’ll look at the MLB from last year that the Steelers liked. May find more info on him there.

1 minute ago, Armsteeld2 said:

Johnson ran a 4.38 and when I see a guy getting beat with that type of speed, I immediately know it’s his technique.  He doesn’t have any cut ups but I’ll look at the MLB from last year that the Steelers liked. May find more info on him there.

I saw that as well (his 40 time). That can't possibly be from the combine. Look at that pick in the end zone (early in the highlights) he tried to return. He got caught, QUICK. 

The team is getting the D ready for sub packages and the reason for these Safety picks.  This is making sense now,  I just want to see how they defend the run . That light nickel didn't work vs the run last year, see what happens this year.  

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27804/steelers-use-big-safeties-to-address-ryan-shazier-void

PITTSBURGH -- Mike Tomlin likes to reference that, in today's NFL, the Pittsburgh Steelers play "sub package football" about 70 percent of the time. Traditional sets with nose tackle and base safeties are becoming dated because of speedy three- and-four-receiver offenses.

Looking through the Steelers' 2018 draft through that lens helps understand why they selected two safeties despite a massive hole at inside linebacker due to Ryan Shazier's injury.

So the Steelers got crafty, drafting players who have experience as sub package linebackers on third downs in Terrell Edmunds and Marcus Allen.

When Tomlin turned on Edmunds' Virginia Tech tape, he saw a player who handled both safety spots and some linebacker duties on pass-heavy downs.

Tomlin wouldn't be crazy to look at Edmunds' measurables and see shades of a (skinnier) Shazier.

• Edmunds: 6-foot-1, 217 pounds, 4.47-second 40, 41.5-inch vertical, 134-inch broad jump, 32 3/4-inch arms, 10 1/2-inch hands

• Shazier: 6-1, 237, 4.4-second 42-inch vertical, 130-inch broad jump, 32 3/8-inch arms, 10-inch hands

Archived