NFL Draft Thread Part 2 : Post-Draft Talk (UDFA Talk here as well)

steelcurtain29

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

I really think that the Steelers would be foolish to give Ben Roethlisberger an extension which is why I expect it to happen. If you truly believe Rudolph is the guy that will replace Ben Roethlisberger and he shows signs of that early on, then you should not tie big money up into a guy that might result in major dead money. I don't mean to sound ungrateful to Ben Roethlisberger but you've got to leave yourself an out. There has to be a plan in place should Rudolph be the guy they believe they drafted to make the change and limit the  negative financial impact of your franchise.

They can write it  where nothing is guaranteed until the year they are playing and it is all salary.  Just options due in March and are one year.  So that single season is guaranteed each year.  Less risk.

19 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They can write it  where nothing is guaranteed until the year they are playing and it is all salary.  Just options due in March and are one year.  So that single season is guaranteed each year.  Less risk.

I agree however with all due respect to Ben Roethlisberger he does not strike me as the type that will accept such a contract. Given that his career is certainly closer to the end of the end the beginning like most players of age he's probably going to want more guaranteed money then not.

1 hour ago, JLambert58 said:

Thought this was an interesting take:

I actually agree with Colin Cowherd here and honestly I seldom do. Specifically because he is very much a New England Patriot idolizer. Having said that my issue with what Ben said is how he said it the wording of what he said. If he is there guy? He was drafted in the hopes that he is that is obvious no one was ever suggesting he would come in immediately and replace you the idea was for him to sit back and learn from a Hall of Fame quarterback no one is suggesting your job is in Jeopardy so there is no reason to get defensive about it. That was my issue. Having said that right now of course I would rather have Ben Roethlisberger on the field than any other quarterback on our roster including Mason Rudolph. He is a first-ballot hall-of-famer. He is one of three quarterbacks who have represented the AFC in the Super Bowl every season in the last 14 of 15 seasons. That is freaking insane. Now yes it's also been a while since then Roethlisberger has represented the AFC but the bottom line is still one of three quarterbacks and all three of those quarterbacks will be in the Hall of Fame. If his career ended today, I'm not real sure if Aaron Rodgers is a Hall of Fame quarterback maybe he is but I'm not sure I haven't watched his numbers close enough to say otherwise one way or another some of you may have a better idea. If he chose to retire today I believe Drew Brees would be at the very least of Fringe Hall of Fame quarterback but I don't believe he would get in as a first-ballot. If his career ended today in my mind Eli Manning is not a Hall of Fame quarterback neither is Philip Rivers. Right now in this league there are two virtually guaranteed Hall of Fame quarterbacks before you start to get arguable about others. Those two quarterbacks are the obvious Tom Brady and of course our quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. I'm not expecting him to come out and say he's going to teach his replacement or whatever but really all you needed to say was that they've got to do what they feel is best for their future but I'm going to be here and I'm going to give my best to this team focused on winning a Superbowl until I'm no longer here or something of that effect. The whole bit about him playing three to five years I don't even have a problem with that except for the context in which he said it.

I should say further that financials are an issue for both sides. My own take. Roethlisberger wants more money. The QB market has been reset and Ben wants to get paid. The team won't invest and for good reason. Plus, there is the likely aspect of a power play over Haley.

But I really doubt Rudolph is the answer. I think the contract is the biggest issue between the two sides right now.

4 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I really think that the Steelers would be foolish to give Ben Roethlisberger an extension which is why I expect it to happen. If you truly believe Rudolph is the guy that will replace Ben Roethlisberger and he shows signs of that early on, then you should not tie big money up into a guy that might result in major dead money. I don't mean to sound ungrateful to Ben Roethlisberger but you've got to leave yourself an out. There has to be a plan in place should Rudolph be the guy they believe they drafted to make the change and limit the  negative financial impact of your franchise.

You also dont hang your hat a 3rd round pick who needs ALOT of development to even have a chance at being a semi-decent starter.

This is part of the reason I didnt want to draft a QB this year.    Ben is still playing well and wants to play for a bit longer.  Now, we have a guy who wont help us win while Ben is playing (unless there is an injury) and may not see the field much in his rookie contract.

Like I said....this draft was atrocious.   Not so much from a pure talent standpoint, but a situational standpoint.      When we passed on RB in the first round, I thought we avoided a vomit-inducing draft, but I was sadly mistaken.    

I don't see why people can have a single problem with what Ben said.  I always chuckle a bit when people try to say it's a bad thing.  What's he supposed to do, sit there and go "I'm glad they found my replacement.  I'll help him take my job."?  No, screw that.  If my job brought in someone to eventually replace me I'm not looking to roll over.  I'm going to make them work for it and earn it.  

Ben's got the right mindset here.  Screw that other guy, I'm going to make them force me off the field.

If he said anything else I would be disappointed.

57 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I don't see why people can have a single problem with what Ben said.  I always chuckle a bit when people try to say it's a bad thing.  What's he supposed to do, sit there and go "I'm glad they found my replacement.  I'll help him take my job."?  No, screw that.  If my job brought in someone to eventually replace me I'm not looking to roll over.  I'm going to make them work for it and earn it.  

Ben's got the right mindset here.  Screw that other guy, I'm going to make them force me off the field.

If he said anything else I would be disappointed.

While I 100% agree, I am just worried that he could change his tune at any given time.

3 years ago, he said it was year to year.   Last year, he "considered" it (not seriously, but he played that game), and now he wants to play 3-5 more years?  

Either way, the team should be focused on winning WITH Ben, and the draft shows are way too focused on life AFTER him. 

3 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

While I 100% agree, I am just worried that he could change his tune at any given time.

3 years ago, he said it was year to year.   Last year, he "considered" it (not seriously, but he played that game), and now he wants to play 3-5 more years?  

Either way, the team should be focused on winning WITH Ben, and the draft shows are way too focused on life AFTER him. 

Again my issue isn't that then believes he can play another three to five years I honestly hope he does it's the context in which he said what he said. I'm not remotely expecting him to just roll over and die so to speak for a draft pick that hasn't proven anything and it needs to develop. I guess my issue was how negative it came across tord Mason Rudolph who only had positive things to say and frankly mature things to say about his need to take responsibility for himself that it wasn't Ben Roethlisberger's job to teach him. Having said that I can't help but agree with 43M, this this draft screams future and not let's win right now. If it was a less wind right now the Steelers would have found a way to make a deal happen to where they did not lose out on Rashaan Evans they could have traded up with the Seattle Seahawks and got in front of all of the people that they needed to to get Rashaan Evans they could have traded up with the Detroit Lions or the Green Bay Packers. I'm just saying. There were opportunities for them to make a deal in my opinion now. Now obviously I wasn't in the war run so I will never know whether or not they actually called those of the scenes but my point is this; if you were drafting for the right now you would have found a way to come up with Rashaan Evans. Evans was undoubtedly the best fit for this defense instead what you did was take a somewhat developmental sub package hybrid safety linebacker. I don't really have a problem with James Washington and I don't have a problem with Mason Rudolph. However yes Mason Rudolph does not pan out this will be the third failed quarterback pick in a row. And if you really want to get technical about all the guys we've had as backups to Ben Roethlisberger it's way more than 3. In the third round I believe they started to get way too about the future when they drafted an offensive tackle who is going to need developed in every way possible the talent is there the effort and the care to does not seem to be. They followed up by drafting a safety that have no business playing safety in this league he almost certainly will be moved to linebacker and while he is a good tackler and is good against the run there is no guarantee at all whatsoever that he will succeed at linebacker he's a guy that is going to need development at the position AKA for the future. Samuels was drafted because of the potential of losing Bell we needed depth at running back but he does a lot of similar things to Bell in my opinion and while I don't see him as an every-down back he could help lessen the blow of losing Bell when it happens. Another pick for the future.

Joshua Frazier strikes me as a person that won't even make the roster and if he does it won't be in a long-term situation.

How is it negative for him to say "I expect to play another 3-5 years" and "If he's that guy".

Wanna know what that says to me, along with Mason saying he doesn't expect Ben to teach him and he's got to learn.  It say's "Hey rook, you got to earn it, nothing is given."

More fake outrage from Steelers fans over a Ben statement.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

How is it negative for him to say "I expect to play another 3-5 years" and "If he's that guy".

Wanna know what that says to me, along with Mason saying he doesn't expect Ben to teach him and he's got to learn.  It say's "Hey rook, you got to earn it, nothing is given."

More fake outrage from Steelers fans over a Ben statement.

Again it was how he said it. And to be honest it was more fueled by the element that 43 brought up, just a couple of years ago he was saying that it was year to year, then he was talking about possible retirement and then as soon as we draft a quarterback that he actually thinks might be a threat to his career it's well even if he is the guy he's going to be sitting a while because I plan to play three to five more years oh really because you were just talking about retirement. Either be here and be committed or shut the hell up. That's my problem with it. Had it not been for his previous statements prior to this draft I wouldn't think anything of it. But Ben Roethlisberger has proved more than once to be about Ben and honestly I'm over it. you either want to be the quarterback of this team or you don't, stop being so finicky. It shouldn't take an unproven developmental quarterback to fuel the fire of you wanting to win and be a Pittsburgh Steeler

I honertly think its more about Haley being gone.  Haley neutered Ben.  So much.  Took away ability to audible, slowed down the offense when the hurry up was working, gave him limited to no audible plays.  So I think a huge amount of the retirement talk was about that.

But even at that who gives a flying you know what.

I'll always say this when a team drafts an heir apparent:

When the heck is the current player supposed to say?  Huh?  

"Oh yea that's great, I'll help him develop!" Well that sounds like a guy with one foot out the door.

Like I said, fake outrage because Ben said what every other player in this situation has said.

36 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I honertly think its more about Haley being gone.  Haley neutered Ben.  So much.  Took away ability to audible, slowed down the offense when the hurry up was working, gave him limited to no audible plays.  So I think a huge amount of the retirement talk was about that.

But even at that who gives a flying you know what.

I'll always say this when a team drafts an heir apparent:

When the heck is the current player supposed to say?  Huh?  

"Oh yea that's great, I'll help him develop!" Well that sounds like a guy with one foot out the door.

Like I said, fake outrage because Ben said what every other player in this situation has said.

Like I said it's more about what he has said in the past that rubbed me wrong with him saying this because an Heir Apparent shouldn't be the reason he's saying these things he should say them previously and then when he stays in after the fact maybe people would believe it but to me I'm not buying into what Bennett saying because he's done nothing to prove that that's how he really feels. It's not fake outrage outrage is about the wishy-washy attitude Ben has nothing more. You don't have to agree with me but it's not fake outrage and I'm not jumping on the bandwagon of some other trolling Steelers fans who are just as wishy-washy I'm speaking my own opinion

Archived