NFL Draft Thread Part 2 : Post-Draft Talk (UDFA Talk here as well)

steelcurtain29

@wwhickok The reason I say it’s fake outrage too is because of Ben came out and said “You know I’m glad they did this. I’ve been thinking about life after football for some time now.” I would be willing to bet the line would be “well then just retire if you won’t commit.”

You are now set up to call him out no matter what he does moving forward, and I’m not a fan of that at all. 

The following was written by a sports columnist and appeared in the Jan. 30, 1974 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette following the first five rounds of the 1974 NFL Draft, after the Steelers had picked Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, cornerback Jimmy Allen, and Webster:

“The Steelers seem to have come out of the first five rounds of the draft appreciably strengthened at wide receiver but nowhere else. They didn’t get a tight end, and the ones remaining are more suspect than prospect. They didn’t get a punter, although none of the nation’s best collegiate punters went in the first five rounds. They didn’t get an offensive tackle who might’ve shored up what could well become a weakness. What they did get was Swann, who seems to be a sure-pop to help; Lambert, who figures to be the No. 5 linebacker if he pans out; and three question marks.”

47 minutes ago, jebrick said:

The following was written by a sports columnist and appeared in the Jan. 30, 1974 edition of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette following the first five rounds of the 1974 NFL Draft, after the Steelers had picked Swann, Lambert, Stallworth, cornerback Jimmy Allen, and Webster:

I wish they would have just fired that bum, Noll, right then and there. 

4 hours ago, warfelg said:

@wwhickok The reason I say it’s fake outrage too is because of Ben came out and said “You know I’m glad they did this. I’ve been thinking about life after football for some time now.” I would be willing to bet the line would be “well then just retire if you won’t commit.”

You are now set up to call him out no matter what he does moving forward, and I’m not a fan of that at all. 

I think that's fair criticism toward me. However that's not what I'm about it bothered me but given the way you guys are explaining it I can see your point of view honestly I want whatever Ben wants he's done a lot for us and moving forward hopefully he is the guy for a long time but if he's not hopefully the next guy up is ready. I guess it does really come down to what somebody said earlier this is what lights of fire under in so be it I really don't feel like this is what should have lit a fire under him and sort of annoying because he's been so finicky in the past but I would also agree that I think Todd Haley had a lot to do with that

I agree if he needed this to light a fire he needs better motivation. But I’ll add that’s not how I read it.

Bens a drama queen. We all know this. That’s all this was. Stir up some drama. Good news for us is every time he stirs up drama he plays at an MVP level. So keep stirring up some drama Ben! Maybe we should ask Favre to suit up!

I think people are underestimating the contract thing right now. The QB market just ballooned thanks to the Redskins mismanagement of the Cousins situation. Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Matt Ryan. Even Tom Brady has been connected to talk about a pay bump/extension.

Roethlisberger is only going to get an extension if he creates the impression he intends to stay longer. So, last year Roethlisberger popped off at the mouth. Probably, in my view, out of frustration. This year? Well, Haley was canned and he sees dollar signs. He knows that if he keeps playing he's about to become ridiculously underpaid compared to other franchise QB's. Not just 3 years from now, but starting this year.

We're talking like $10 million dollars a year here. I don't think Ben cares that much about the Rudolph pick. I do think he's negotiating a bit in the media.

On 5/3/2018 at 3:22 PM, warfelg said:

I agree if he needed this to light a fire he needs better motivation. But I’ll add that’s not how I read it.

Bens a drama queen. We all know this. That’s all this was. Stir up some drama. Good news for us is every time he stirs up drama he plays at an MVP level. So keep stirring up some drama Ben! Maybe we should ask Favre to suit up!

Youre absolutely right.

Roethlisberger was pretty openly hostile in this interview. Which makes me think something more happened in between his public comments. Like perhaps speaking with one or both of the Tombert duo. He's also kind of...scornful to the Bryant trade.

Any guess on Rookie #'s I'm assuming they should be coming out any day soon

Edmunds- 32 (to start) not sure Ridley makes it out of camp, so maybe 22 after that 

Washington- 18

Rudolph- 2

Chuk- 74

Allen- 38 (32 if Edmunds changes)

Samuels-31

Frazier- 69

1 hour ago, JPeezy55 said:

Any guess on Rookie #'s I'm assuming they should be coming out any day soon

Edmunds- 32 (to start) not sure Ridley makes it out of camp, so maybe 22 after that 

Washington- 18

Rudolph- 2

Chuk- 74

Allen- 38 (32 if Edmunds changes)

Samuels-31

Frazier- 69

Berhe took 31.  The amount of guys changing numbers this off season is pretty extreme.  I can understand Haden wanting 23 back but then you got Davis 28 to 21, Hilton 31 to 28 lol Fricking Dominos.  Even Ridley went from 38 back to his old Pats number of 22.   

Personally I hope Washington reverses his college number and takes 82

29 minutes ago, 95lloyd said:

Berhe took 31.  The amount of guys changing numbers this off season is pretty extreme.  I can understand Haden wanting 23 back but then you got Davis 28 to 21, Hilton 31 to 28 lol Fricking Dominos.  Even Ridley went from 38 back to his old Pats number of 22.   

Personally I hope Washington reverses his college number and takes 82

Good point, I looked over Berhe on the roster. But yeah an extreme amount of changes this year thats for sure 

Archived