2018 Starting Lineups and Depth Chart

BullsandBroncos

13 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Chad kelly- i think he compares to Baker. He can move around, accurate, strong arm. I personally think  he wins the job. And the best players play. I think  a year of learning helped him. I think 2 years away from the game gives him an itch. I'm  excited.

*Facepalm emoji*

14 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I think hes a dark horse to start

He is absolutely not a dark horse to start. I'm sorry, but if Chad Kelly were half as good as everyone thinks, he wouldn't have been the last pick in the draft. Plain and simple. People are willing to overlook nearly everything about a QB in order to get a competent starter. That Kelly fell this far says something about his skill set. Could he eventually grow into something? Sure. But this is, once again, taking on a life of it's own from Broncos fans. It's absolutely wild.

Every year I predict the final 53 after the draft, I’m always wildly wrong, but just a bit of fun: 

QB: Case Keenum, Paxton Lynch

RB: Royce Freeman, Devontae Booker, DeAngelo Henderson, Phillip Lindsay

FB: Andy Janovich

WR: Demaryius Thomas, DaeSean Hamilton

WR: Emmanuel Sanders, Carlos Henderson

Slot: Courtland Sutton

TE: Jake Butt, Jeff Heuerman, Troy Fumagalli

LT: Garrett Bolles, Elijah Wilkinson

LG: Ronald Leary, Billy Turner

C: Matt Paradis, JJ Dielman

RG: Connor McGovern, Sam Jones

RT: Jared Veldheer

DE: Derek Wolfe, DeMarcus Walker

NT: Domata Peko, Kyle Peko

DE: Shelby Harris, Clinton McDonald, Adam Gotsis

OLB: Von Miller, Shaq Barrett

ILB: Brandon Marshall, Josey Jewell

ILB: Todd Davis, Zaire Anderson

OLB: Bradley Chubb, Shane Ray, Jeff Holland

CB: Chris Harris Jr, Brendan Langley

CB: Bradley Roby, Isaac Yiadom

Nickel: Trumaine Brock

FS: Justin Simmons, Jamal Carter

SS: Darian Stewart, Su’a Cravens, Will Parks

K: Taylor Bertolet 

P: Marquette King Jr

LS: Casey Kreiter 

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Every year I predict the final 53 after the draft, I’m always wildly wrong, but just a bit of fun: 

Not too shabby got sutton in the slot though?

35 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Not too shabby got sutton in the slot though?

I think what will actually happen is Sutton and Thomas will play outside and Sanders in the slot, but Sutton gets listed as “slot” because he’s the guy that only comes on to the field in 3 WR sets. Similar to how Roby has been our “nickel” corner for years even though he actually plays outside with CHJ in the slot. 

2 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I think what will actually happen is Sutton and Thomas will play outside and Sanders in the slot, but Sutton gets listed as “slot” because he’s the guy that only comes on to the field in 3 WR sets. Similar to how Roby has been our “nickel” corner for years even though he actually plays outside with CHJ in the slot. 

I can see that scenario

21 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Clinton McDonald will start over Shelby Harris , and Su'a will start over Stewart.  Otherwise it looks about right. Every time I look at the projected OL starters I am reminded why we are in the bottom 1/3 of the league in terms of POWER RANKINGS.  We have improved, but 7-9 is what this roster looks like.

Jake Butt, Demarcus Walker and Carlos Henderson are the key to this year.  If we do not get production from all 3 showing that they have 5 year + NFL careers.  We will be a team drafting in the Top 10 again.

36 minutes ago, BaldyBronco said:

Clinton McDonald will start over Shelby Harris , and Su'a will start over Stewart.  Otherwise it looks about right. Every time I look at the projected OL starters I am reminded why we are in the bottom 1/3 of the league in terms of POWER RANKINGS.  We have improved, but 7-9 is what this roster looks like.

Jake Butt, Demarcus Walker and Carlos Henderson are the key to this year.  If we do not get production from all 3 showing that they have 5 year + NFL careers.  We will be a team drafting in the Top 10 again.

McDonald's not been healthy enough to play more than 50 percent of the snaps.   Harris was excellent last year, and unlike McDonald, is still young enough to improve.    We do need McDonald until we know Gotsis is OK (and that he can play), and that Demarcus Walker  has bulked up & his technique has expanded beyond the spin move he used in college, but McDonald starting over Harris?  No way.  It's a bit of a moot point, since the DL has to rotate in, but I'd expect Harris will get more snaps that McDonald, to keep his 31 year-old legs fresh.   

Same deal with Cravens not replacing Stewart (for different reasons).   Stewart didn't transition nearly as well to the SS role with Simmons playing more FS, but Cravens is coming to play the hybrid LB/S for coverage, he'll be ideal when we go nickel with a cover LB/S role added (functional dime), to help cover the TE/RB's..   Cravens is coming to let Davis/Marshall sit on pass situations.   Cravens has talent, but it's far from realized - he's still got a ways to go to equal Stewart's ability in coverage, and Stewart's actually quite decent in run support, very sure tackler (but a better fit as a FS, too bad our 2 best safeties are FS's).   Stewart's starting barring injury.

Cravens and McDonald are both needed, but right now they're complimentary pieces.   Depth matters, though, especially without coverage ILB's. 

On 4/30/2018 at 12:05 PM, broncos67 said:

He is absolutely not a dark horse to start. I'm sorry, but if Chad Kelly were half as good as everyone thinks, he wouldn't have been the last pick in the draft. Plain and simple. People are willing to overlook nearly everything about a QB in order to get a competent starter. That Kelly fell this far says something about his skill set. Could he eventually grow into something? Sure. But this is, once again, taking on a life of it's own from Broncos fans. It's absolutely wild.

Case Keenum went undrafted and just signed a contract that guarantees him $25MM. 

46 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Case Keenum went undrafted and just signed a contract that guarantees him $25MM. 

.....and Paxton was drafted int he first round and massive resources and money were invested in him.  A.K.A.  Not a dark horse.   Give Chad Kelly a chance.  I can tell you one thing...He is NOT scared.

QB - Case Keenum, Paxton Lynch, Chad Kelly
RB - Royce Freeman, Devontae Booker, De'Angelo Henderson
FB - Andy Janovich
WR - Demaryius Thomas, Courtland Sutton, Jordan Taylor
WR - Emmanuel Sanders, Daeshaun Hamilton, Carlos Henderson
TE - Jake Butt, Jeff Heuerman, Troy Fumagalli
LT - Garett Bolles, Cyrus Kouandjio
LG - Ron Leary
C - Matt Paradis, JJ Dielman
RG - Connor McGovern, Billy Turner
RT - Jared Veldheer, Menelik Watson

LE - Derek Wolfe, Clinton McDonald
NT - Domata Peko, Kyle Peko
RE - Shelby Harris, DeMarcus Walker, ??? Adam Gotsis ???
LOLB - Bradley Chubb, Shaquil Barrett, Jeff Holland
LILB - Todd Davis, Josey Jewell
RILB - Brandon Marshall, Keishawn Bierria 
ROLB - Von Miller, Shane Ray 
LCB - Bradley Roby, Tramaine Brock, Brendan Langley
RCB - Chris Harris Jr, Isaac Yiadom 
SS - Darian Stewart, Su'a Cravens, Will Parks
FS - Justin Simmons

PK - Brandon McManus
P - Marquette King
LS - Casey Kreiter 

Get Max Garcia out of my face. Other notable omissions: Phillip Lindsay/David Williams (one makes practice squad), Isaiah McKenzie (just not enough talent as a WR to justify roster spot even if he gets past his issues), Sam Jones (practice squad after losing roster spot competition to Dielman), Zach Kerr (wasn't impressed with his play, saves almost 2 million), Zaire Anderson (this is almost 50/50 with Bierria, we'll see how much experience helps Zaire here), Jamal Carter (would like to keep him, but he's sort of repetitive with Cravens)

It's going to be tough to justify keeping Andy Janovich too unfortunately, but he makes it here. 

Archived