2018 Starting Lineups and Depth Chart

BullsandBroncos

The defense gave up last season and i don't blame them for it. Gotta be impossible to stay motivated with a completely incompetent offense for three years in a row and last season the ST made it even worse. 

19 minutes ago, champ11 said:

The defense gave up last season and i don't blame them for it. Gotta be impossible to stay motivated with a completely incompetent offense for three years in a row and last season the ST made it even worse. 

Yeah the ST was so bad - I think I completely repressed the memory there.   McKenzie was awful, but our coverage was just as bad.   

Ultimately, our lack of talent in the roster is the biggest culprit.  It's why I do wish Elway had it in his DNA to be willing to take one full rebuild year.  It's not there, though, and it's part of Elway's overall package as a GM, so I accept you can't just point out the bad, you have to point out all the good that comes with it.   But where Elway deserves blame is his abysmal drafting of late, especially on Day 2.  It may be too soon to tell, but Elway's change in draft MO at least shows he privately must recognize how flawed his old methods were.  

On that note - he's got to see that VJ has this season to show real progress or he's a goner.   Realistically we aren't a playoff team talent-wise.   But VJ can't be as unprepared as he was last year.   ST is all about coaching, it's not about talent (other than the K's of course, that's on them).   In that respect, we really missed out - even if Toub did nothing but turn around our ST's, he likely would have been a far better HC than VJ was last year.   And unlike Shanahan, there was no Elway-related baggage.     Then again, if Toub does better, we still are a terrible team and then maybe we don't pick nearly as high if we win 1 more game lol.   So that was a painful yet useful silver lining.  

I was on record as being a Shanahan supporter out of the 3 - but also 100 percent behind keeping VJ after the 2017 season, given that he didn't choose the roster on the team (and firing him would have denied us the chance to coach in the Senior Bowl, and likely we weren't a prime destination with our roster talent issues and Elway's absolute control).   I still stand by all of those statements - but there's no way VJ should be coaching this team beyond this year if we don't see a huge ST bump  (getting King and his hang time alone means this should happen) and improvement in our gameplan and execution.   Having amazing practice weeks only counts for so much.

Archived