2018 Starting Lineups and Depth Chart

BullsandBroncos

41 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think they’ll do whatever they can to justify keeping Watson. I’d expect him to work at OG this offseason to see if he can contribute there and be an ultimate utility lineman

He must have dirt on elway and Joseph. 

29 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I think they’ll do whatever they can to justify keeping Watson. I’d expect him to work at OG this offseason to see if he can contribute there and be an ultimate utility lineman

I'm curious why you think that? I looked at his salary today and we can save about $4.5 million above the dead cap by letting him go.

Do you think having a more mobile RG will help him? Granted, I only see about 3-4 games a year anymore but he seems really laterally challenged. Not very good with his hands either and pretty slow off the snap. That just a quick impression, I've only seen him a few times.

I'm just thinking that between Kouandjio and Wilkinson we should be able to man a RT spot a lot cheaper and just as well. I'd rather a younger guy with a bit more upside than Watson.

I thought about him at OG last year but can't see him anywhere but on the left side and we've got a bunch of guys there already.

Anyway, just curious about your thoughts.

22 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

6+ million in the hole no matter what, might as well see if he's capable of anything unless he's just a bad dude.

I don't think that's true. According to spotrac if we cut him pre 6/1 he counts as $2.6 million as dead cap and provides us $4.5 million in cap space. After 6/1 its $1.3 million dead cap and $5.8 million cap space. It seems to me like he'd have to show a lot in TC to keep from being a cap casualty. $7.2 million is a lot to pay a back up OT.

4 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think that's true. According to spotrac if we cut him pre 6/1 he counts as $2.6 million as dead cap and provides us $4.5 million in cap space. After 6/1 its $1.3 million dead cap and $5.8 million cap space. It seems to me like he'd have to show a lot in TC to keep from being a cap casualty. $7.2 million is a lot to pay a back up OT.

His salary is now guaranteed because of injury, as of March 18th. Spotrac mostly just copies from Over the Cap, so they probably just haven't stolen that particular info yet because on OTC it shows that a post June 1 cut only nets about 300,000 in cap savings. They can only save money now if they trade him. 

26 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

His salary is now guaranteed because of injury, as of March 18th. Spotrac mostly just copies from Over the Cap, so they probably just haven't stolen that particular info yet because on OTC it shows that a post June 1 cut only nets about 300,000 in cap savings. They can only save money now if they trade him. 

Klis confirmed the $ is guaranteed as of March 18.    If you looked at the bottom of his contract page the injury guarantee is in fact listed there.   He couldn’t pass a physical so we were screwed.   Can’t cut a guy who has an injury guarantee in that case.  First round 5th year options and priority FA get those clauses in their contract.   A little surprised Watson got it TBH.  Elway was probably more desperate for T help at that stage.   About reason #25 why Whitworth over Leary would have been a better FA  target (no guarantee we’d have signed him but remember Elway said they didn’t even pursue Whitworth because of age concerns.  Oh well). 

Von Stewart Marshall had those in their contracts.   No one published Watson had it in March but he did in fact - it was noted at the time of his signing. Sucks but it is what it is.  

EDIT:  Found the CBS report, which mentioned it - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/breaking-down-menelik-watsons-three-year-18-37-million-deal/

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Gee, that really sucks! I'll bet he's worn out the training staff during rehab.

I have  hope for Kelly to develop, he has a lot of talent. I still think Keenum is going to continue to improve and will develop into a real good QB. If Coach Wood isany good at all, our talented defense will make it so Keenum being good will be enough. Last year if the poor coaching and turnovers  cost us dearly. Hopefully Joseph and Woods learned something from last season's disaster, but probably not.

41 minutes ago, kansas bob said:

I have  hope for Kelly to develop, he has a lot of talent. I still think Keenum is going to continue to improve and will develop into a real good QB. If Coach Wood isany good at all, our talented defense will make it so Keenum being good will be enough. Last year if the poor coaching and turnovers  cost us dearly. Hopefully Joseph and Woods learned something from last season's disaster, but probably not.

Woods wasnt bad imo. The offense screwed him and the d over. When we got production on offense see jets game or colts d looked pretty good. 

Guys giving up like talib I think woods should of benched to make a statement thats my only complaint.

On 5/5/2018 at 9:00 AM, kansas bob said:

Was Joe Woods really the issue with last year? I know Woods is a popular scapegoat, for reasons I can't understand, but defense was far from the problem with the Broncos last year. 

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Was Joe Woods really the issue with last year? I know Woods is a popular scapegoat, for reaso ns I can't understand, but defense was far from the problem with the Broncos last year. 

Unless Woods could cover TE & RB's, or add more pass rush help to Von, yeah, he wasn't the problem on D.  And let's face it, the D wasn't spectacular, but it wasn't our problem last year - OL, QB play, lack of weapons all were bigger issues.   It really sucks that we whiffed hard on the 2017 draft at skill positions, because it wasn't realistic for us to address all the holes in our lineup.   Progress, yes for sure.   But it's going to take a while to get this team back into shape.

The only thing I can criticize Woods for were the big plays over the top where miscommunication was the obvious culprit. It happened way too often, even during the 3-1 start. Safeties and corners looking at each other throwing their hands up while receivers would run 50 yards under the ball into completely open space. We hardly ever saw it under Wade, one instance I can really remember was an 80 yard touchdown from Tyrell Williams in the last week of the 2015 regular season. 

They're probably better off cutting out all the "sugar" they talked about with the secondary and going back to what was basic and worked so well under Wade. The front 7 should be good enough to stop the run again regardless. 

Archived