Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft

Woz

Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft  

35 members have voted

1. 1. As of right now, what is your grade for the Redskins draft class in 2018?

• A (4.0)
    • A- (3.7)
    • B+ (3.3)
    • B (3.0)
    • B- (2.7)
    • C+ (2.3)
    • C (2.0)
    • C- (1.7)
    • D+ (1.3)
    • D (1.0)
    • D- (0.7)
    • F (0.0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/2018 at 04:00 AM

1.13 (13) - DT Da'ron Payne, Alabama
2.27 (59) - RB Derrius Guice, LSU
3.10 (74) - OT Geron Christian, Louisville
4.09 (109) - S Troy Apke, Penn State
5.26 (163) - DT Tim Settle, Virginia Tech
6.23 (197) - ILB Shaun Dion Hamilton
7.23 (241) - CB Greg Stroman, Virginia Tech
7.38 (256) - WR Trey Quinn, SMU

If you want to be a killjoy and claim you cannot grade a draft until three years later ... do it somewhere else. :D

1 13   team logo Da'Ron Payne DT, BAMA
Height: 6-2  Weight: 311

They needed to get help up front and he joins former Alabama teammate Jonathan Allen on that line. Solid move.

B  
2 59   team logo Derrius Guice RB, LSU 
Height: 5-10  Weight: 212

As a player, this is a great value. But there are major character concerns.

B+  
3 74   team logo Geron Christian OT, LVILLE
Height: 6-6  Weight: 318

He can take over for veteran Trent Williams at some point. Williams has had injury issues, so it's a smart pick.

B+  
4 109   team logo Troy Apke SS, PSU
Height: 6-2  Weight: 198

Super athlete with size. Not a great football player yet. Slow to react to run plays and route concepts.

D+  
5 163   team logo Tim Settle DT, VATECH
Height: 6-3  Weight: 335

Super-quick, one-gap DT in a nose tackle's body. Very disruptive. Can get washed out in run game. Nice added bulk for Washington.

A  
6 197   team logo Shaun Dion Hamilton ILB, BAMA
Height: 6-0  Weight: 233

When healthy, this is a second- or third-round pick. Multiple lower-body injuries at Alabama. Cruises from sideline to sideline. Reacts quickly. Solid blitzer.

A-  
7 241   team logo Greg Stroman CB, VATECH
Height: 6-0  Weight: 180

Highly productive slot cornerback who will get his hands on plenty of passes due to athleticism, awareness and vast experience at the college level. Quicker than fast.

A  
7 256   team logo Trey Quinn WR, SMU
Height: 6-0  Weight: 212

Quicker than fast YAC pass-catcher. Strong hands. Great elusiveness and vision in the open field.

A-  

Gets a solid B grade from me. So happy Guice is a Redskin now, and Payne.. while no Vita Vea.. should team with Settle to upgrade the run defense. I'd have picked a different name here and there, but overall, no complaints. :) 

I give it a B+.  If we had taken James over Payne in the 1st, it would be an A+ draft from me.  Also would have loved a guard or center in the mid rounds, but you can't fill all your needs in a draft, and when you try, that's when you end up with a bunch of busts.

So, let me start with my one complaint about this class (and you can guess what it is): no help for the interior of the offensive line. We've got a bunch of guys who either on one year deals, former cast offs, UDFA/futures guys, or some combination of all three.

It seems like the mitigation strategy is to have Ty Nsekhe move got guard and compete with Orlando Franklin for the gig. To facilitate that, they drafted Geron Christian who looks like he could step right into the swing tackle spot (something they would likely need to fill next year anyway since Nsekhe is one of the aforementioned free agents). Maybe he went a bit early, but the raw tools are there. B-

They also needed to help rebuild the depth of the defensive line so they didn't need to rely on bums like Terrell McClain and Ziggy Hood. Mission accomplished. While it hurts that Tampa Bay took Vita Vea one pick ahead of the Redskins and that they might have turned down a 2019 1st round pick, they got the guy they felt would help their line. Solid pick: B. They then waited for four extra rounds and got Tim Settle, a guy we had been discussing getting in the second if they didn't get Vea or Payne in the first. That's a solid A.

The other guy they were focused on was Derrius Guice. I was afraid they would have gone for him at 13, but to not only wait until the 2nd but to have the stones to trade down and still get him? A-. Only gets the minus because of the alleged "embarrassments" that are still lurking. That said, they seem like bullspit and hopefully put a serious chip on Guice's shoulder.

Finally, last year I ripped into the Redskins for their moves in Day 3. They started off this year with the surprising Troy Apke pick, an athletic freak with limited experience (I think they could have gone a different direction and gotten more value so this is a C), so I was afraid I was going to have to continue my tradition. However, Settle, Shaun Dion Hamilton (B+), Greg Stroman (A-), and Trey Quinn (A) were all incredibly solid picks.

Averaging all of those out using a 4.0 GPA scale comes in as a 3.3, or a B+. Sounds about right to me.

13 minutes ago, Woz said:

So, let me start with my one complaint about this class (and you can guess what it is): no help for the interior of the offensive line. We've got a bunch of guys who either on one year deals, former cast offs, UDFA/futures guys, or some combination of all three.

It seems like the mitigation strategy is to have Ty Nsekhe move got guard and compete with Orlando Franklin for the gig. To facilitate that, they drafted Geron Christian who looks like he could step right into the swing tackle spot (something they would likely need to fill next year anyway since Nsekhe is one of the aforementioned free agents). Maybe he went a bit early, but the raw tools are there. B-

They also needed to help rebuild the depth of the defensive line so they didn't need to rely on bums like Terrell McClain and Ziggy Hood. Mission accomplished. While it hurts that Tampa Bay took Vita Vea one pick ahead of the Redskins and that they might have turned down a 2019 1st round pick, they got the guy they felt would help their line. Solid pick: B. They then waited for four extra rounds and got Tim Settle, a guy we had been discussing getting in the second if they didn't get Vea or Payne in the first. That's a solid A.

The other guy they were focused on was Derrius Guice. I was afraid they would have gone for him at 13, but to not only wait until the 2nd but to have the stones to trade down and still get him? A-. Only gets the minus because of the alleged "embarrassments" that are still lurking. That said, they seem like bullspit and hopefully put a serious chip on Guice's shoulder.

Finally, last year I ripped into the Redskins for their moves in Day 3. They started off this year with the surprising Troy Apke pick, an athletic freak with limited experience (I think they could have gone a different direction and gotten more value so this is a C), so I was afraid I was going to have to continue my tradition. However, Settle, Shaun Dion Hamilton (B+), Greg Stroman (A-), and Trey Quinn (A) were all incredibly solid picks.

Averaging all of those out using a 4.0 GPA scale comes in as a 3.3, or a B+. Sounds about right to me.

You nailed it here. I went with B+. I would've gone A- but I think they were offered the Saints deal and they should have taken it. So they get downgraded half a letter grade from A- to B+

1.13 (13) - DT Da'ron Payne, Alabama - B - just a solid pick. We’ve talked about it.  
2.27 (59) - RB Derrius Guice, LSU - A - I hope there’s no issues
3.10 (74) - OT Geron Christian, Louisville - B- - this could really pan out in the future
4.09 (109) - S Troy Apke, Penn State - D - went way early
5.26 (163) - DT Tim Settle, Virginia Tech - B+ - didn’t really want him in 2nd or 3rd. Love it here. 
6.23 (197) - ILB Shaun Dion Hamilton - C+ - don’t know much but there were other better LBs 
7.23 (241) - CB Greg Stroman, Virginia Tech - B - I stood hard for either Hokie CB. Can return kicks and punts. Ballhawk too. 
7.38 (256) - WR Trey Quinn, SMU - A- - great pick

I give it an A-. 

I find it hard to believe that the Saints trade was on our table. Until I see a source. Reputable. 

The pick I question is the OT from Louisville. 

Every other pick was great. Killed day 3. Grabbed a 3rd round pick. Which should have been a G. 

Troy Apke is questionable considering his draft position, but great ST's guy and development guy like Nicholson. Especially with injuries in the secondary. Oh well. 

Very happy with all the picks but one. A-

There is no A+ So I settled- pun intended - for the solid A.

There isn’t one of these picks that I don’t like. If it were me, I would’ve taken Khyzir White, Whitehead, Watts or Allen over Apke in round 4, but I absolutely love his athletic ability, potential and upside at safety. I think he’s going to be a demon on special teams and eventually a starter - if Swearinger doesn’t stay for a 2nd contract. I wanted White extremely bad.

Settle, Hamilton, Stoman and Quinn do make up for the bit of a reach on Apke though. All 4 of those guys were worthy of higher selections than where we got them, we probably got a steal with all of them.

* Settle and a healthy Hamilton are worth 3rd round picks.

* Quinn and Stroman were worth 5th or 6th round picks.

All of those picks along with Payne and Guice get an A+ from me. 

Christian gets a B. Preferably he’s a guy you’d like to get probably in the late 3rd but if he gets stronger he could end up being a better version of Moses because he’s more athletic than Moses. 

I like Payne so much and am not sold that he would’ve been there for us with the GB pick at 27. So, I’m ok with not taking the trade down. I’ve said for years I don’t want to trade down from a top 15 pick to the mid to late 20s and lose out on the better prospects. I stand by that.

If Payne comes in and solidifies our NT position and our run D becomes a top 15 or even top 10 run D this year then no one will complain about not trading down because our D will be great.

In my mind we got two first round picks in this draft.

1. Payne

2. Guice - Guice is the second most talented rb in this draft class. We’re lucky he fell to us at the end of the 2nd because he was worth a top 25 pick.

Archived