Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft

Woz

Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft  

35 members have voted

1. 1. As of right now, what is your grade for the Redskins draft class in 2018?

• A (4.0)
    • A- (3.7)
    • B+ (3.3)
    • B (3.0)
    • B- (2.7)
    • C+ (2.3)
    • C (2.0)
    • C- (1.7)
    • D+ (1.3)
    • D (1.0)
    • D- (0.7)
    • F (0.0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/2018 at 04:00 AM

In hindsight I would of liked them to select different players in round 3 & 4. I kept mentioning ILB Malik Jefferson in the draft thread and he went a couple picks after our pick to the Bengals. Him along with Da'Shawn Hand in round 4. How cool would it have been to have the entire Alabama D-Line from a year ago?

But it doesn't really matter because the Payne/Guice combo gets an automatic A from me. I liked the Settle and Trey Quinn picks too.

Let’s not all get caught up in irrational exerberance. Yes it wasn’t a Brice Allen disaster. It was a solid draft. Let’s anakyze it a bit-

I preferred vea and Doug Williams all but said the same thing. Payne is a tough guy but one of the least athletic DT in a long time. One of our analytics kings @Woz posted how he very well may already peaked with Saban. He won’t be a Tracy rocker embarrassment but he’s no vea or Jon Allen either. So not being connected or respected around the league we may have been uninformed at let Vea get away to bucs

the trade he didn’t make with the saints is a big lost opportunity 

guice took some stones and congratulations are in order.  

The third round pick is another Arie with high bust potential. Tall, weak and dumb not a great combination for anything. This was a bad pick

We needed a punt returner so happy about that V Tech player, but the Bama undersized lb doesn’t make a lot of sense. @turtle28 you could be all conference playing behind bama DL and with those other players. 

We didn’t address two huge needs LG or get a TE. You can’t run without a LG or achieve success with Smith without a very good TE who can actually play a season and not always get injured. 

So, cool your jets. The draft is a hopeful time. So it’s not a disaster- it’s not great. I give it a B- because I’m a generous person. 

Lastly a shoutout to the redskins for strongly defending the attacks on guice. Proud of my team standing up to anonymous attack’s about a kid whose life has already been much tougher than wimpy writers and announcers born with silver spoons up their bottom 

A-

Shocked, Im sure.

1st 2 rounds, We did as good as we could of hoped for. 2 fantastic starters day 1 that arnt just plugins. But guys that can be difference makers to our O and D and help win games.

Round 3 is the only letdown I see. But with the 3rd round only producing 40% overall, hes a project we can work with. Still, that LSU game, he got run around like he was a stump.

4-7.. Its as good as Ive seen drafted for those rounds.  We got the captain of the greatest dynasty defense college has ever seen. Got a tough, gritty, sure handed WR in the 7th. Got a nice, developing fat guy for the DL. Got a raw safety that will be the fastest in the NFL, which hopefully all he needs is some full time coaching. And picked up a special teams/corner project while at it.

We done good. Im thrilled. Especially after how down I was leading into the draft with not trusting the heads whatsoever. They really surprised me.

50 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Let’s not all get caught up in irrational exerberance. Yes it wasn’t a Brice Allen disaster. It was a solid draft. Let’s anakyze it a bit-

I preferred vea and Doug Williams all but said the same thing. Payne is a tough guy but one of the least athletic DT in a long time. One of our analytics kings @Woz posted how he very well may already peaked with Saban. He won’t be a Tracy rocker embarrassment but he’s no vea or Jon Allen either. So not being connected or respected around the league we may have been uninformed at let Vea get away to bucs

the trade he didn’t make with the saints is a big lost opportunity 

guice took some stones and congratulations are in order.  

The third round pick is another Arie with high bust potential. Tall, weak and dumb not a great combination for anything. This was a bad pick

We needed a punt returner so happy about that V Tech player, but the Bama undersized lb doesn’t make a lot of sense. @turtle28 you could be all conference playing behind bama DL and with those other players. 

We didn’t address two huge needs LG or get a TE. You can’t run without a LG or achieve success with Smith without a very good TE who can actually play a season and not always get injured. 

So, cool your jets. The draft is a hopeful time. So it’s not a disaster- it’s not great. I give it a B- because I’m a generous person. 

Lastly a shoutout to the redskins for strongly defending the attacks on guice. Proud of my team standing up to anonymous attack’s about a kid whose life has already been much tougher than wimpy writers and announcers born with silver spoons up their bottom 

Damn, if only we could have just politely asked the Bucs if they wouldn’t have drafted Vea infront of us maybe they wouldn’t. There isn’t a far gap between Vea and Payne. Vea is bigger but Payne is quicker and faster, Payne fits our 1gap defense perfectly. Least athletic? Watch the film brother! That’s not his problem, the only problem he has is at times if he’s double teamed he plays too high and can get pushed back - as HTTR pointed out - but that doesn’t happen constantly. You done run a sub 4.95 forty and 311 pounds and not be athletic, that’s just cray talk. Payne is a quick NT and he’s strong too. This is why he fits our scheme, he has a quick first step and as the 1-tech NT, he can shoot the gap between the C and G and get into the backfield quickly to get to the ball carrier or get pressure on the Qb.

You probably said last year that Jon Allen had peaked already because he played for Saban too, that’s a damn sorry excuse to pass on the 2nd best interior DL prospect in the draft in the position that we needed the most.

You’d actually have to watch Shaun Dion Hamilton to know how special he can be if healthy, obviously you haven’t seen him play much at all or have never seen him play. He was the captain of their defense and the smartest player Alabama had on their defense for years. He called their defense, and their defense got worse last year after he tore his ACL. For the record, Hamilton played with Ragland, Foster and Evans and pushed all of them for playing time. The only reason he wasn’t a top 100 pick was because he tore each ACL. He’s a phenomenal talent.

Also, I’m at a loss at your contradiction here. You say Payne isn’t athletic, that Vea is so much better but then point out when you’re trashing Dion Shaun Hamilton that the only reason he was good was because he played behind players like Payne, so make up your mind, which is it?

Why would we trade 14 snaps back and pass on a player that we wand the most and can help solidify this defenses run defense for the next decade? For a hope and prayer in the future? Take the guy you love now, develop him to be your stout NT and develop his pass rush ability some more so he can do that better as well. Payne is only 20 years old, he’s onky going to get better. Much like Allen, Payne has strong and violent hands which he learned at Alabama, to think he’s not going to be a solid NT for us or that he can’t even improve more with development from Tomsula is extremely naive.

You again are guessing about Christian’s ability and what he is. Why do you keep guessing on what players are? Christian is totally different from Kouandjio - that’s a ridiculous comparison - Christian compares to Moses. He’s a tall and athletic OT who needs to work on his body and get stronger. They’ll have him work on that for a year and then in a few years he’ll probably be worthy of being our next starting LG or remain as the back up swing OT for Twill and Moses should Nsekhe be gone after this year. Kouandjio isn’t an athletic OL - which his problem - he’s the opposite of Christian. Kouandjio is a mauler, a stiff run blocking interior OL who’s struggles in pass protection. Again, opposite of Christian.

We don’t need a TE at the moment, I’ve discussed this at nauseum and disagree vehemently with anyone who thinks otherwise. Why would we draft a second TE to develop? We have Sprinkle developing! We’re not getting rid of Reed this year or Davis so any TE we would draft would spend most of the year - if not all - as our 3rd TE and barely play or be inactive most of the year if Sprinkle were to have beat him out. We had greater needs such as suring up our DL, finding a starting RB, adding depth to our OL, defensive backfield and wr core. 

Yes, we could have taken an interior OL, but I don’t think it’s the big need that everyone makes it out to be which, I’ve also explained at nauseum in other threads. We have young guys developing there and addded another guard out of Iowa as an UDFA to develop as well. We  have a former good starter for the Broncos and Chargers - Orlando Franklin - who will be competing for the starting spot with Nsekhe and Kouandjio. Nsekhe played pretty well at LG when we were forced to play him there vs the Saints and will be better with a year of development at the position. Kouandjio didn’t play horribly at LG when he was inserted into the starting line up either. Yes, if we had taken Will Hernandez or some of the other 2nd round interior OL they could have been better than Franklin and Nsekhe right away, but we wanted Guice and I don’t blame us, I wanted Guice who’s a huge upgrade at starting RB more than a guard.

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’d actually have to watch Shaun Dion Hamilton to know how special he can be if healthy, obviously you haven’t seen him play much at all or have never seen him play. For the record, Hamilton played with Ragland, Foster and Evans and pushed all of them for playing time. The only reason he wasn’t a top 100 pick was because he tore each ACL. He’s a phenomenal talent.

Fully agree on that. I dont care what size he is. When it came to Guice, Fournette, Chubb, Sony Michel, Kerryon Johnson and such RBs. He had no issue at all in bringing them down, many times for very short gaines and losses behind the LOS.

I like his size, it seems he sneaks around all over the place. The OLs hes faced in practice daily, the LSU OL, the Ole Miss OL, theyre bigger than a majority of the Pro lines. Adv well over 300lbs. And Shaun did just fine. He moves around like a RB, with the difference being the OL cant tackle him.

24 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Damn, if only we could have just politely asked the Bucs if they wouldn’t have drafted Vea infront of us maybe they wouldn’t. There isn’t a far gap between Vea and Payne. Vea is bigger but Payne is quicker and faster, Payne fits our 1gap defense perfectly. You probably said last year that Jon Allen had peaked already because he played for Saban too, that’s a damn sorry excuse to pass on the 2nd best interior DL prospect in the draft in the position that we needed the most.

You’d actually have to watch Shaun Dion Hamilton to know how special he can be if healthy, obviously you haven’t seen him play much at all or have never seen him play. For the record, Hamilton played with Ragland, Foster and Evans and pushed all of them for playing time. The only reason he wasn’t a top 100 pick was because he tore each ACL. He’s a phenomenal talent.

Why would we trade 14 snaps back and pass on a player that we wand the most and can help solidify this defenses run defense for the next decade? For a hope and prayer in the future? Take the guy you love now, develop him to be your stout NT and develop his pass rush ability some more so he can do that better as well. Payne is only 20 years old, he’s onky going to get better. Much like Allen, Payne has strong and violent hands which he learned at Alabama, to think he’s not going to be a solid NT for us or that he can’t even improve more with development from Tomsula is extremely naive.

You again are guessing about Christian’s ability and what he is. Why do you keep guessing on what players are? Christian is totally different from Kouandjio - that’s a ridiculous comparison - Christian compares to Moses. He’s a tall and athletic OT who needs to work on his body and get stronger. They’ll have him work on that for a year and then in a few years he’ll probably be worthy of being our next starting LG or remain as the back up swing OT for Twill and Moses should Nsekhe be gone after this year. Kouandjio isn’t an athletic OL - which his problem - he’s the opposite of Christian. Kouandjio is a mauler, a stiff run blocking interior OL who’s struggles in pass protection. Again, opposite of Christian.

We don’t need a TE at the moment, I’ve discussed this at nauseum and disagree vehemently with anyone who thinks otherwise. Why would we draft a second TE to develop? We have Sprinkle developing! We’re not getting rid of Reed this year or Davis so any TE we would draft would spend most of the year - if not all - as our 3rd TE and barely play or be inactive most of the year if Sprinkle were to have beat him out. We had greater needs such as suring up our DL, finding a starting RB, adding depth to our OL, defensive backfield and wr core. 

Yes, we could have taken an interior OL, but I don’t think it’s the big need that everyone makes it out to be which, I’ve also explained at nauseum in other threads. We have young guys developing there and addded another guard out of Iowa as an UDFA to develop as well. We  have a former good starter for the Broncos and Chargers - Orlando Franklin - who will be competing for the starting spot with Nsekhe and Kouandjio. Nsekhe played pretty well at LG when we were forced to play him there vs the Saints and will be better with a year of development at the position. Kouandjio didn’t play horribly at LG when he was inserted into the starting line up either. Yes, if we had taken Will Hernandez or some of the other 2nd round interior OL they could have been better than Franklin and Nsekhe right away, but we wanted Guice and I don’t blame us, I wanted Guice who’s a huge upgrade at starting RB more than a guard.

@turtle28 How should I respond to this emotional post?

Sunshine, being the southern girl she is, suggested the following- “bless your heart turtle”

I’ll only correct your inaccuracy related to Allen who I have said is athletically gifted and isn’t close to reaching his potential both before we drafted him and afterwards as well. Payne isn’t Allen athletically. 

peace my brother and enjoy the kool aid

f353ac07d86560addcc58975dc5339badf785cd0

for fans complaining about LG. Understand that not every need can be addressed in one offseasons. Look at it like this, we addressed the defensive line in a huge way and got really lucky getting guice so late to infuse some talent in the rb field. thats two huge holes for us that have been plugged up.

I voted A. 

Payne was the best pick they could have made at 13. My heart sank when Tampa took Vea. I wanted Derwin James after Vea was gone, but S is not a high need, NT is. 

Guice in the second, plus adding a 3rd is great value.

Geron means to me that Nsekhe is definitely our LG and Geron is our swing tackle.

I think the Apke pick is actually a really good one. I know a lot will complain since he is a better athlete than football player, but I think he instantly upgrades our special teams. He will contribute right away.

Tim Settle is a huge pick. He could have been our selection in the 3rd and I would still have been happy. We should see a lot of both Settle and Payne this year. Tomsula must be the happiest man in the building.

If Hamilton can get and stay healthy he will find a niche in our defense. Could replace Foster next to Brown. 

Greg Stroman and Tre Quinn may end up on the practice squad but they have potential.

Overall, I think this is a very strong draft. Definitely improved where we needed to (other than a natural LG). I was all for trading up to get Hernandez, but trading down and ending up with Guice and Christian is better.

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Turtle. Why are you quoting your own tweets?

:)

I didn’t, I posted a tweet that I had tweeted from wapo. Instead of going and finding the tweet on the wapo time line (which can sometimes take a while bc they tweet and retweet so many of their articles like all news orgs) I just posted the tweet I had tweeted.

Try to keep up old timer! Lol ? 

Archived