Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft

Woz

Snap reaction: Your grade for the 2018 Redskins draft  

35 members have voted

1. 1. As of right now, what is your grade for the Redskins draft class in 2018?

• A (4.0)
    • A- (3.7)
    • B+ (3.3)
    • B (3.0)
    • B- (2.7)
    • C+ (2.3)
    • C (2.0)
    • C- (1.7)
    • D+ (1.3)
    • D (1.0)
    • D- (0.7)
    • F (0.0)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/2018 at 04:00 AM

11 hours ago, footy_29 said:

A+ if they picked Derwin James - who was the bpa in the first round - and the rest ended up the same. Really strong draft overall. 

Each of these players has a very reasonably shot to make the roster because of existing strengths.

1. Payne: B+
  2. Guice: A
  3. Christian: A
  4. Apke: A-
  5. Settle: A
  6. Hamilton: A
  7. Stroman B+
    Quinn A 

QB (2) Smith | Hogan
HB (4) Guice | Kelly | Perine | Thompson
H-back (1) Reed
TE (2) Davis | Sprinkle
X (2) Doctson | Harris
Y (2) Crowder | Quinn
Z (2) Richardson | Davis
LT (3) Williams | Nsekhe | Christian
LG (2) Franklin | Clemmings 
C (2) Roullier | Bergstrom
RG (2) Scherff | Kalis
RT (1) Moses

LE (2) McGee | Ioannidis
NT (3) Payne | Taylor | Settle
RE (2) Allen | Lanier
LOLB (2) Smith | McPhee
ILB (3) Foster | Hamilton | Harvey-Clemons
ILB (2) Brown | Vigil
ROLB (2) Kerrigan | Anderson
LCB (1) Norman
RCB (2) Moreau | Dunbar
NCB (3) Scandrick | Holsey | Stroman
SS (2) Swearinger | Everett
FS (2) Nicholson | Apke

P (1) Irwin-Hill
K (1) Hopkins
LS (1) Sundberg

A couple of things:

1. Gruden loves Colt McCoy. If there’s one guy on this roster - beyond Alex Smith and our pro bowl players - that Gruden wants on this team more than the others, it’s Colt Mccoy. As long as Gruden is here and mcCoy wants to be here, I think Colt will have a job for us. Mccoy is to Gruden what Rex Grossman was to Kyle Shanahan.

I know this is a crazy thought, but I honestly thought that before Allen worked the trade for Alex Smith that Gruden was ready to go into this season with McCoy as competing for our starting qb job with another vet we would’ve signed like Bradford or Bridgewater and a rookie we would have drafted. I think if we hadn’t traded for Alex Smith that Gruden would’ve convinced Allen & Doug to draft Mason Rudolph in round 2 or 3 or one of the other QBs who went in the mid rounds after him that we all liked.

2. Kind of nitpicky but I would think that Harris is more likely to be Richardson’s back up and Davis with his size is likely to be Doctson’s back up.

3. I’ll be shocked if we keep 10 OL. I think it’s almost definitely 9.

4. I’ll be shocked if Vigil makes it over Spaight - who during last season you had pegged as Zach Brown’s replacement and us letting Brown walk in free agency. It is totally possible though as I thought Vigil showed well towards the end of last season, but I’d still be shocked about it.

5. Probably the most shocking prediction here... YOU HAVE TRESS WAY GETTING CUT?

What? I think that’s highly unlikely.

2 hours ago, footy_29 said:

Yeah, I think that the 30-40% that McGee plays is a lot of 1st and 2nd down when base formation is used, so by default a starter. 
A healthy Taylor > Hood.

I don’t necessarily disagree here. McGee doesn’t offer as much as a pass rusher as Ioannidis - except McGee does well at pushing the pocket - but McGee is a big strong run defender, he’s a perfect fit as a 5-tech on run downs.

Also, if he’s doing that, it saves Ioannidis and Lanier from having to get beat up in the run game all game so they’ll be more fresh for our nickel packages and be better at rushing the passer.

A healthy Taylor is definitely > Hood, and most likely Settle too. 

The ideal base defense on run downs for us is to have Payne or McGee as the starting 5 tech, Taylor at NT and Allen as 3 tech.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think we’re sleeping on Phil Taylor. We know why he hasn’t gotten to be the player he shows he could be 6 & 7 years ago and I’m not going to talk about that for fear of the jinx again, but my darhorse for starting NT is Taylor and Payne starts in our base defense as the 5-tech, which frees Allen up to be our predominant pass rushing 3-tech (which he didn’t get to be last year) and Allen can then have 5 sacks or more from that position rather than having to play 5-tech and take on double teams to free up the player next to him to go one on one and rush the passer.

Counterpoint to this is: don't expect to get a single snap from a guy who has not seen the field since 2014.

Don't get me wrong. What I saw in the preseason opened my eyes to how good he could be for the Redskins. However, there's a reason he was available to us on a cheap future's contract last year: he cannot stay healthy.

The best the Redskins can hope for is that he's finally able to make it back on the field and shows what he can do ... and then signs somewhere else next offseason (giving the Redskins a potential 2020 compensatory pick). He should not be in any long term plans, and it's questionable whether he should be in the short term ones as well due to his track record of being in the training room way more than on the field.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Remains to be seen, and I’d say that Bruce is relying on Doug Williams, Kyle Smith and Scot Campbell to do the actual work and then he’s just in the part of the meetings where they are all talking about their research and making final decisions.

So, let’s not get it twisted. McCloughan was a true football guy - a GM who still acted and researched like a lower level scout even though he was their bosses - Bruce Allen is a manager of the scouting department.

I’ll give a personal example. At my work we have a general counsel. Our former General Counsel was basically a manager, he was a brilliant guy but did little work. It seemed he just read the paper and cases etc all day and just knew everything because his IQ was off the charts. He delegated all the work to our associate general counsel, our staff attorneys and consultants. I literally never knew what he did and a friend of mine - who was a staff attorney for us - and is now an associate general counsel somewhere else said that our former GC did nothing, he just managed the department, my dad told me the same thing and he was the second highest paid person at my work after the president.

Now, we have a new GC because the other guy retired and he was someone we used as a consultant for 40 years, and he’s much more active. The new guy actually works. He doesn’t just delegate it to the other 3 attorneys under him and then read the paper and cases/News all day.

So, Bruce Allen is like my jobs former GC. He doesn’t do jack ish, just is a politician, is in the room when final decisions are being made/contracts being signed after Schaefer does the dirty work or Doug/Campbell & Kyle Smith and then he’s the mouthpiece for the organization.

McCloughan is GC #2. He loves scouting and doing the dirty work and hours and days/weeks/months of work scouting the top players in college and the top free agents in the NFL to determine who he’d want for his team.

For me, a lot of how I feel about McCloughan comes down to Baker Mayfield VS Darnold, Rosen and Josh Allen. McCloughan has stood on the table for Mayfield all last football season and possibly before. McCloughan and Nolan also took Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers. So, if Darnold, Rosen and Josh Allen end up being better than Mayfield (which I think is highly likely) then I’m sorry, but I’m going to have to knock McCloughan down a peg.

Have to say, that even with the negativity, this has to be one of the most positive things I think I have ever read from you @turtle28 on Scot McCloughan.

10 hours ago, Woz said:

Have to say, that even with the negativity, this has to be one of the most positive things I think I have ever read from you @turtle28 on Scot McCloughan.

I’ve said similar things for years, people just don’t pay attention because I’m one of the few that points out that while he’s great he has made some mistakes over the last decade. And a few of them - one in particular - cost the 49ers a super bowl and maybe multiple Super Bowls. He also had a few picks and signings that did us no favors.

59 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’ve said similar things for years, people just don’t pay attention because I’m one of the few that points out that while he’s great he has made some mistakes over the last decade. And a few of them - one in particular - cost the 49ers a super bowl and maybe multiple Super Bowls. He also had a few picks and signings that did us no favors.

You do realize it was Nolan that didn't want Rodgers because he considered him too arrogant after having him in for a visit, right?  And Nolan had final say.  Also, Mike McCarthy (ironically) felt the same way, and he was the OC at the time.  Show me where McCloughan pushed for Alex Smith over Rodgers pre-draft that year.  I would love to see it.  

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

From what I've seen, you have seemingly hammered all of misses repeatedly (to be honest, I was sure you would bring up that Matt Jones was cut by the Colts) and shrugged off his hits.

It's one of the few places where you haven't been a major optimist.

3 hours ago, Woz said:

From what I've seen, you have seemingly hammered all of misses repeatedly (to be honest, I was sure you would bring up that Matt Jones was cut by the Colts) and shrugged off his hits.

It's one of the few places where you haven't been a major optimist.

Josh Norman and Ryan Kerrigan also.

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Josh Norman and Ryan Kerrigan also.

To be fair, right now Norman isn't living until the contract he signed.

(and to really switch things around *puts on optimist's hat*)

With the increase in talent on the defensive line, it could make it so that Norman can live up to that contract.

Just now, Woz said:

With the increase in talent on the defensive line, it could make it so that Norman can live up to that contract.

Dude played through broken ribs last year, and the few games he wasn't on the field we got roasted.  

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Dude played through broken ribs last year, and the few games he wasn't on the field we got roasted.  

Did I say it was all his fault? No. I said he hasn't played up to the level his contract. I do think that it is an anomaly and that the better talent up front and health/recovery will change that going into 2018.

57 minutes ago, Woz said:

Give me my hat back!

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Having watched Apke and Marcus Allen both at Penn State, I feel the latter was considerably more reliable.

Apke’s a Homerun swing.  It will be a few years before we know if we made contact or not.

Archived