Sign in to follow this  
SemperFeist

Vikings sign...UDFA

I have never been this to excited about UDFA’s. I am way higher than most on Mata’afa. I gave him a super high grade. Even gave him to the Patriots in the first in my first mock draft of the season I believe if someone wants to go back and find that. He has played everywhere. NT, Edge, off the ball LB. 

Holten Hill makes this team if he stays off the silly weed. Good enough to be at least as day 2 guy.  At least. 

Korey Robertson actually surprised me not to get drafted.

Jake Wieneke will make the team. I’m thrilled about this. 

6 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I have never been this to excited about UDFA’s. I am way higher than most on Mata’afa. I gave him a super high grade. Even gave him to the Patriots in the first in my first mock draft of the season I believe if someone wants to go back and find that. He has played everywhere. NT, Edge, off the ball LB. 

Holten Hill makes this team if he stays off the silly weed. Good enough to be at least as day 2 guy.  At least. 

Korey Robertson actually surprised me not to get drafted.

Jake Wieneke will make the team. I’m thrilled about this. 

Love our UDFA's wanted us to draft both Hill & Mata'afa though I don't know if Im higher on him than you are.

The Vikings are doing a great job.  Also got Roc Thomas an athletic quick back who can do a variety of things, played on Jacksonville State after leaving Auburn.  Hill and Mata'afa are the most to be excited about of course.  Kind of surprised they did not go for McFadden over Hill but Hill did have a better year despite the injury.  And great to get the local kid Wieneke for sure and he is a nice player and great UDFA pickup.

Still curious where Mata'afa plays, my guess is DE all the way if he can get a little bit bigger, and they already got Aruna a talented DE as well.  The fact Mata'afa did not play a position in college he will play in the NFL did hurt him in the draft, because no one I think would put him in there but will see.   

In the middle of the draft the Vikings picks to me were nothing great but the last three were very solid and this UDFA class is as good as anyone in the NFL potentially.  Linehan is a great pickup as well and Dooley is very solid but not sure how that will work for him not being a 3/4 OLB which is what he is as a prospect I think all the way.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

The Vikings are

Still curious where Mata'afa plays, my guess is DE all the way if he can get a little bit bigger, and they already got Aruna a talented DE as well.  The fact Mata'afa did not play a position in college he will play in the NFL did hurt him in the draft, because no one I think would put him in there but will see.   

I personally see MLB. He may kill off Brothers. Kid should be great on special teams. 

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The Vikings are doing a great job.  Also got Roc Thomas an athletic quick back who can do a variety of things, played on Jacksonville State after leaving Auburn.  

Wait really? 5 star recruit coming out of high school. I can’t believe I missed the last 3 round me which are my favorite. We got 4 guys I was way higher on in the UDFA class. Never had that happen before.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I personally see MLB. He may kill off Brothers. Kid should be great on special teams. 

Maybe but Downs I feel could kill off Brothers potentially as a backup ILB.  Brothers has been a disappointment I think.  In this system though one could argue Eric Wilson is more of a backup to Eric Kendricks than Mata'afa would be.  Is surprising a 3/4 team did not want him but some of his production could have been inflated with being undersized and shooting gaps for making plays rather than holding his own in the middle.  

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Wait really? 5 star recruit coming out of high school. I can’t believe I missed the last 3 round me which are my favorite. We got 4 guys I was way higher on in the UDFA class. Never had that happen before.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/28/17293694/nfl-draft-udfa-signings-tracker-results-2018

This above has them signing him, others I see Pettway which could be just as good maybe.  Will see when it officially comes out

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2018/4/28/17297290/minnesota-vikings-undrafted-free-agency-tracker-undrafted-free-agency-rumors

Posted (edited)

Jake Wieneke went to high school in Maple Grove, MN.  Went to a small college, UDFA to the Vikings.  Anyone else getting an Adam Thielen vibe?

Also, Jackrabbits suck.  #goyotes #usd

Edited by mitty18

23 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Yeah the more I watch Hercules I seriously doubt he plays LB at all, that might be why the obvious 3/4 teams passed on him.  Is best on the DL using his motor and speed.   When compared to other top DLs, LBs and 'edge' players at the combine he was not top 15 in anything athletically, 40 time, bench press, vertical, 20 shuttle, 3 cone, broad jump etc.  Great effort player willing to play against bigger guys and make things happen, cannot hurt as a UDFA at all.  Still my guess is a DE or maybe a third down DT pass rusher in third and long.  

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah the more I watch Hercules I seriously doubt he plays LB at all, that might be why the obvious 3/4 teams passed on him.  Is best on the DL using his motor and speed.   When compared to other top DLs, LBs and 'edge' players at the combine he was not top 15 in anything athletically, 40 time, bench press, vertical, 20 shuttle, 3 cone, broad jump etc.  Great effort player willing to play against bigger guys and make things happen, cannot hurt as a UDFA at all.  Still my guess is a DE or maybe a third down DT pass rusher in third and long.  

I just find him so interesting. While not being great at anything, he is just a jack of all trades type of guy. You see 100% effort. Literally the best person on the team in college on that defense. He actually did well as a NT and would find pressure. His biggest struggle was in coverage. But that could maybe change. 

10 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I just find him so interesting. While not being great at anything, he is just a jack of all trades type of guy. You see 100% effort. Literally the best person on the team in college on that defense. He actually did well as a NT and would find pressure. His biggest struggle was in coverage. But that could maybe change. 

Yeah it will be interesting what he does and where he plays.  The D coordinator for Washington State is now on Ohio State, and Washington State was 10th in the nation in TFL last year, sure he got most of them but there was a lot of guys who got TFL numbers on that team, guys who I do not really know.  So be curious if it was the system or not, would have loved to see him in a Senior Bowl setting to see what he could do at a different position but obviously could not as a JR.