Vikings sign...UDFA

SemperFeist

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

If I understand the 5th year option thing, players can be cut with no dead cap prior to opening day on the 5th year of the deal. Do I have that wrong?

Yes, you have that wrong but your recollection is pretty close. For now, the 5th year option is guaranteed for injury. It becomes fully guaranteed at the start of the league year. The team can only cut Waynes with no dead cap next year if he is not injured and if they do it before it becomes fully guaranteed. The only way to be sure there will be no dead cap hit would be to cut him before he steps in the facility again.

Newman won't be back in 2019. Doubt they want CB depth behind Rhodes next year to be limited to Alexander and two 2nd-year guys in Hughes and Hill, no matter how well they play as rookies.

So I think they'll keep Waynes for hisoption year, though probably not beyond that if Hughes plays well enough by 2019 to take over as a full time CB2 (outside in 2-CB sets, moving to the slot in nickel).

I think one of Waynes or Alexander will probably get a second contract, but it might be Alexander if he develops more this year and looks better outside than he did in the slot. 2020 depth chart could look like this: 

• outside CB: Rhodes, Hughes, Alexander, Hill
  • slot CB: Hughes, Alexander

If they did want to save the $9M for Waynes next year, they should try to trade him, but they'd probably get more by paying him for that 5th year and collecting a comp pick. There'd be no comp pick if he was released. 

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Hill, please stick to Terrence Newman like glue. 

If Hughes and Hill can be developed, this might be a way to make Waynes expendable, freeing up 9 mil in cap space next off season.

If I understand the 5th year option thing, players can be cut with no dead cap prior to opening day on the 5th year of the deal. Do I have that wrong?

Yes, Waynes could be cut in the beginning of March and have no cap hit if during March 2019 he was injury-free (backed up by medical if needed). We'd lose any potential compensatory pick potential when he signs with another team under that scenario.

My guess is we won't cut Waynes (now/March 2019), but just move on from him after his final 2019 season (take the comp pick), and get a value extension from Alexander.

This UDFA class is super interesting, more than previous years, at least for me. Lot of potential there, and I love an underdog story. Herc and Hill both seem like they'd be great storylines. With a lot of good talent on the roster, we know we will encounter money issues at some point going forward. The good teams find a way to replenish, and if we get draft classes, UDFA's, and development like we've seen or have been hoping for, there's no reason to think that we aren't seeing the beginnings of a solid group for longer than originally anticipated.

With the addition of Hughes and Hill, assuming they both work out, we could be looking at a lot of flexibility with Waynes and Alexander over the next year. Wish we could find some good options/competition for O-linemen, but i'm excited about the future none the less.

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Yes, Waynes could be cut in the beginning of March and have no cap hit if during March 2019 he was injury-free (backed up by medical if needed). We'd lose any potential compensatory pick potential when he signs with another team under that scenario.

My guess is we won't cut Waynes (now/March 2019), but just move on from him after his final 2019 season (take the comp pick), and get a value extension from Alexander.

I  think the only valid reason to cut Waynes would be to be to resign all of Diggs, Hunter, Richardson and Barr.

Im certainly not opposed to this option as long as Hughes and Hill flash serious potential.

We'll have to see how he fares in the preseason....for a few moments yesterday, I almost considered making the trip over to Denver for the first preseason game, but at this point in time, that would be financially irresponsible of me.  :D

I'll just wait for them to come back to Arrowhead in 2019 and the trip to Denver will have to wait.  If the Gophers somehow manage to get by Oregon State this weekend, it may be more financially reasonable to go to Omaha...and I'd probably never be able to see the Gophers in the College World Series again.  I haven't seen a Gophers baseball game since JT Bruett was roaming center field and Dan Wilson was playing catcher...I think it was 1987.  Dan Wilson's son is now on the team.  :o

34 minutes ago, Klomp said:

That should at least keep him around for a year. Don't have to worry about him being nabbed off the practice squad, because he'll be on IR all year.

It sucks because I was really looking forward to watching him this preseason, but it might save him for the long term.

As for recovery, I’m not worried. ACL injuries are almost routine at this point. I’m not worried about his explosiveness. 

Sigh. Too bad for the kid. 

Thought he might make a significant impact even as a rookie as a situational interior pass rusher. I was really looking forward to watching him in preseason, at least. 

Most fringe-of-the-roster rookies who get hurt get released with an injury settlement. Zach Line was one of the few Vikings rookie UDFAs who stuck around after going on IR and made the team in year two. Even then, Line had already made the team (in 2013, with Jerome Felton suspended) and played a few regular season games before he got put on IR.

Mata'afa won't have a chance to impress anyone in preseason, so I won't be surprised if they release him. But I hope he gets another chance.

18 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Most fringe-of-the-roster rookies who get hurt get released with an injury settlement. Zach Line was one of the few Vikings rookie UDFAs who stuck around after going on IR and made the team in year two. Even then, Line had already made the team (in 2013, with Jerome Felton suspended) and played a few regular season games before he got put on IR.

Mata'afa won't have a chance to impress anyone in preseason, so I won't be surprised if they release him. But I hope he gets another chance.

There's no reason to settle with him. He'll go on IR and try again next offseason.

A player has to be released if he passes a physical during the season, and usually injury settlements come into play when a player is likely to return from that injury during the season. Since it's early June, I don't see any way Mata'afa would be healthy enough to play during the 2018 season, so it'd be foolish to come to a settlement.

28 minutes ago, Klomp said:

There's no reason to settle with him. He'll go on IR and try again next offseason.

A player has to be released if he passes a physical during the season, and usually injury settlements come into play when a player is likely to return from that injury during the season. Since it's early June, I don't see any way Mata'afa would be healthy enough to play during the 2018 season, so it'd be foolish to come to a settlement.

Ah, makes sense, thanks.

Archived