Sign in to follow this  
SemperFeist

Vikings sign...UDFA

Robison has some guaranteed money for 2018. That doesn't mean the team needs to keep him but sometimes dead cap scares people.  Personally, I see dead cap as a cost of doing business. It is more important to get the best group of 53 players on the final roster.

For example, it is still cheaper to pay Robison his guaranteed money to not play and Bower his minimum salary than it is to pay Robison his full salary while dropping a minimum salary from the roster.

28 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Robison has some guaranteed money for 2018.

No he doesn't: https://overthecap.com/player/brian-robison/1760

They guaranteed his (lowered) salary last year, but that was salary not signing bonus so it doesn't pro-rate. 

Zero dead cap hit if released this year. 

1 minute ago, Krauser said:

No he doesn't: https://overthecap.com/player/brian-robison/1760

They guaranteed his (lowered) salary last year, but that was salary not signing bonus so it doesn't pro-rate. 

Zero dead cap hit if released this year. 

Interesting source. I see what you are seeing but I also see this on the same page: "Another $1.25 million of his $3.2 million salary in 2018 is also guaranteed. "

I confess that I am not sure. Your source is certainly contradictory. It would be good to get to the truth.

OK good point. Weird, OTC are usually very clear about this stuff. 

In any case, cutting Robison would effectively save $2M against the cap this year, which is much more than it would cost to pay a late round rookie in that roster spot. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Interesting source. I see what you are seeing but I also see this on the same page: "Another $1.25 million of his $3.2 million salary in 2018 is also guaranteed. "

I confess that I am not sure. Your source is certainly contradictory. It would be good to get to the truth.

Replying to myself *snickersnort*:

Clicking into the link from the Over The Cap page it looks like there is $1.25M guaranteed. Over the cap does not list that but mentions is in the editorialized (copy and pasted from their source) contract notes.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0636909922088393912-4

Late Add:

It looks like Spotrac has it right. Generally I like OTC more than Spotrac but in this case I believe that OTC screwed it up.

Edited by Cearbhall
Late Add

If Robison can earn up to $200,000 in per game active roster bonuses ... that's well too much, thought unsure what is the base before the "up to".

By on the surface, potentially immediately cut worthy ... and eat the $1.25M

very interesting, after watching his movement drills in the combine i thought there was no way he would be a linebacker, though i guess they think he has a chance to back up gedeon?

not quite sure if it's a typo or whatever but they have holton hill listed as a WR... so maybe we should take their positions with a grain of salt at this point? also, jalyn holmes is listed as a DE on their roster: http://www.vikings.com/team/roster.html

Who's drunk at the Vikings update desk? Even the big man himself said that Holmes was going to be an inside guy.

4 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If Robison can earn up to $200,000 in per game active roster bonuses ... that's well too much, thought unsure what is the base before the "up to".

By on the surface, potentially immediately cut worthy ... and eat the $1.25M

I think the $100k in workout bonuses is the immediate concern. The $200k is likely per game roster bonuses paid out prorated for being on the roster each game of the season. Even that isn't completely clear but that is generally the way those work when not specifically listed otherwise.

Official release; looks like no failed physicals in the reported group:

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENTS:

PLAYER                      POS.                        COLLEGE

Jeff Badet...................... WR........................ Oklahoma
Mike Boone..................... RB......................... Cincinnati
Curtis Cothran................. DT....................... Penn State
Garret Dooley.................. LB......................... Wisconsin
Armanti Foreman........... WR............................... Texas
Chris Gonzalez.................. G................ San Jose State
Holton Hill........................ CB............................... Texas
Tyler Hoppes................... TE......................... Nebraska
Hercules Mata’afa........... LB............. Washington State
Trevon Mathis................. CB.............................. Toledo
Tray Matthews................... S............................. Auburn
Kamryn Pettway.............. FB............................. Auburn
Peter Pujals..................... QB....................... Holy Cross
Korey Robertson............ WR........ Southern Mississippi
Roc Thomas................... RB............ Jacksonville State
Jake Wieneke................ WR......... South Dakota State
Jonathan Wynn............... DE......................... Vanderbilt

Mata'afa indeed listed at LB, Pettway at FB.

i've kept reading that roc thomas was highly regarded as a UDFA and is likely to be our third RB so i didn't even think to look into our other UDFA RB. mike boone would definitely fit the mold of a mckinnon-type replacement. boone was actually the second most athletic running back in this draft class to saquon barkley and is a 94th percentile athlete.

mckinnon was more on barkley's level athletically and was about a 98th percentile athlete but here's how they compare:

mckinnon

height/weight: 5087/209

40 Yrd Dash: 4.41
20 Yrd Dash: 2.57
10 Yrd Dash: 1.55

Bench: 32
Vertical Jump: 40.5"
Broad Jump: 11'00"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.12
3-Cone Drill: 6.83

mike boone

height/weight: 5097/206

40 Yrd Dash: 4.45
20 Yrd Dash: 2.58
10 Yrd Dash: 1.60

Bench: 25
Vertical Jump: 42"
Broad Jump: 11'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.38
3-Cone Drill: 6.95

boone's lower-body explosiveness is off the charts. his 42" vert is in the 97th percentile for running backs and his broad jump beats the RB combine record by 4 inches (daniel lasco, 11'3"). it would be tied for third best at the combine ever, behind only obi melifonwu and byron jones. boone's shuttle time was above average but his 3-cone was poor.

boone also wasn't very productive in college so it's hard to expect much from him but it's always nice to have athletic specimens on your practice squad. he was a receiver in high school as well so his hands are decent.

Ran this better than some wide outs...