2018 Ravens 4th-7th Round Picks

coordinator0

4 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Does Sieler play edge?  Is he more of a McPhee type player long-term?

He's 6'6 290lb, but looking at the highlights from 2 years ago that you can watch here indicates he played edge.  He's probably another DE in our scheme

Just now, drd23 said:

He's 6'6 290lb, but looking at the highlights from 2 years ago that you can watch here indicates he played edge.  He's probably another DE in our scheme

He lined up at 4-3 DE apparently.  I get that his weight sounds like a DE, but I don't know what his overall physique is like (no idea at all).  It's possible that the team thinks he would be better at a lower weight (or maybe not).

Averett - Solid pick. No, cornerback isn't/wasn't a need, but value came into play here at the 118th. And a team can never have too man solid corners. Looks like the Ravens are pretty set with Smith / Humphrey / Carr / Young / Canady / Hill / Averett. Hill seems kind of iffy to make the roster, but only because of his health issues last season. I think all seven end up making the roster.

Young - Eh. I get it, and he's in the mold of what I would want the Ravens to have next to Mosley, but the value seems off. I'm seeing a core special teams player more than someone who will challenge for defensive snaps. He's not only battling Onwuasor and Correa, but the guys who will get snaps in dime sets as well. Probably the worse pick of the day for Baltimore.

Scott - Oh yeah. I like it. Actually forgot about him when I made the list of receivers I thought the Ravens could go with today but he definitely fits the mold. I'm not one to put a ton of stock into post-season/pre-draft process, and Jaleel's tape is good. I'll take it.

Lasley - Oh.... yeah? Wow. Really didn't think they would go with him, but I still like it. A risk the Ravens can afford to take. Dude can play, just has to get his hands in shape and his character concerns under control.

Elliot - Nice. Really good value pick. Not sure I see him quite as a threat to take snaps in the dime, he's not fluid enough in my opinion for that, but Deshon is still good. Definitely the type of safety Baltimore tends to favor. Should be a core special teams player as well.

Senat? Huh? I don't know anything about him. Obviously a developmental tackle, which is okay, but banking on offensive linemen like him making it through waivers after final cuts is pretty risky. Teams scoop up these guys all the time. Not sure if there's room for him on the 53-man roster, but I doubt it.

Bozeman - Solid. At least for a 6th round pick. Would have liked to see center addressed earlier, for example like Daniels over Hurst at 26, but otherwise guys just went before the Ravens picked. At least Bradley fits the trend the team seems to be going with for the offensive line. Big, tough, and physical. Though not necessarily strong in his case.

Sieler - ???. Don't know anything about him. I'm in-favor of scouring the lower ranks of college football later in the draft though. He's not making the roster unless injuries occur during training camp, but Zach should stick on the practice squad (assuming he waivers). Seems like the Ravens try to do that with most of their draft picks that don't make it through final cuts.

42 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

He lined up at 4-3 DE apparently.  I get that his weight sounds like a DE, but I don't know what his overall physique is like (no idea at all).  It's possible that the team thinks he would be better at a lower weight (or maybe not).

Joe Hortiz called him "a prototype 5 technique" in the post-draft press conference.  Unless the coaching staff thinks otherwise, it sounds like they'll get him to keep/add weight to be around 290/300lbs and maybe hope that he'll develop into a Brent Urban/Willie Henry type of player

5 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Averett - Solid pick. No, cornerback isn't/wasn't a need, but value came into play here at the 118th. And a team can never have too man solid corners. Looks like the Ravens are pretty set with Smith / Humphrey / Carr / Young / Canady / Hill / Averett. Hill seems kind of iffy to make the roster, but only because of his health issues last season. I think all seven end up making the roster.

Young - Eh. I get it, and he's in the mold of what I would want the Ravens to have next to Mosley, but the value seems off. I'm seeing a core special teams player more than someone who will challenge for defensive snaps. He's not only battling Onwuasor and Correa, but the guys who will get snaps in dime sets as well. Probably the worse pick of the day for Baltimore.

Scott - Oh yeah. I like it. Actually forgot about him when I made the list of receivers I thought the Ravens could go with today but he definitely fits the mold. I'm not one to put a ton of stock into post-season/pre-draft process, and Jaleel's tape is good. I'll take it.

Lasley - Oh.... yeah? Wow. Really didn't think they would go with him, but I still like it. A risk the Ravens can afford to take. Dude can play, just has to get his hands in shape and his character concerns under control.

Elliot - Nice. Really good value pick. Not sure I see him quite as a threat to take snaps in the dime, he's not fluid enough in my opinion for that, but Deshon is still good. Definitely the type of safety Baltimore tends to favor. Should be a core special teams player as well.

Senat? Huh? I don't know anything about him. Obviously a developmental tackle, which is okay, but banking on offensive linemen like him making it through waivers after final cuts is pretty risky. Teams scoop up these guys all the time. Not sure if there's room for him on the 53-man roster, but I doubt it.

Bozeman - Solid. At least for a 6th round pick. Would have liked to see center addressed earlier, for example like Daniels over Hurst at 26, but otherwise guys just went before the Ravens picked. At least Bradley fits the trend the team seems to be going with for the offensive line. Big, tough, and physical. Though not necessarily strong in his case.

Sieler - ???. Don't know anything about him. I'm in-favor of scouring the lower ranks of college football later in the draft though. He's not making the roster unless injuries occur during training camp, but Zach should stick on the practice squad (assuming he waivers). Seems like the Ravens try to do that with most of their draft picks that don't make it through final cuts.

Love this pick.  I agree with  your thoughts on post-season/pre-draft generally, but he did OK at the combine IMO.  Meh in the shuttles, but that's not that wild for a 6'5" receiver.  Did decently in the 40 and did well in the explosion metrics (vert and broad).  Physical measurements (H/W/S) you love and good tape.  I think he'll be a nice option behind Crabtree as an intermediate/boundary receiver.

I like this guy as a boom/bust pick.  Love his speed and production.  I'm a bit hesitant to get too bullish on a 5th round pick, but maybe he's a 2019 replacement for Smokey Brown?  A lot of people thought he could be a day 1/2 pick if not for the character issues, apparently.  The only thing that really concerns me is the missing team bus and suspensions (arrests for alcohol/fake ID are meaningless IMO).

I'm with you on this one.  I think this is a guy destined for the PS.  If he gets taken, so be it.  This is the reason I really wanted us to trade out of this round for 2019 assets. Maybe he wows everyone in camp.  

I wonder what this means for Skura.  I doubt they would want to trust Siragusa/Lewis at C going into the season having never played there before.  As I've mentioned in the other thread, I think it may be difficult to carry 9 linemen into the season.  That said, given our history, I'm guessing it's unlikely that one of those top 9 (Stanley, Lewis, Yanda, Hurst, Siragusa, Elumenor, Skura, Brown, Bozeman) all make it to week 1 without at least a PUP designation.  Also, gotta love a guy whose first strength on his NFL draft profile is listed as "thicc and girthy").

I wonder if they may try to deal from the strength of the team (DL) if they really like him and don't want to risk sending him through waivers.  

8 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Joe Hortiz called him "a prototype 5 technique" in the post-draft press conference.  Unless the coaching staff thinks otherwise, it sounds like they'll get him to keep/add weight to be around 290/300lbs and maybe hope that he'll develop into a Brent Urban/Willie Henry type of player

Interesting.  Mea culpa there, I guess.  It seemed like his calling card from college was his sack/TFL numbers, but I'm just scouting report scouting (that sounds awkward), so what do I know?

4 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Interesting.  Mea culpa there, I guess.  It seemed like his calling card from college was his sack/TFL numbers, but I'm just scouting report scouting (that sounds awkward), so what do I know?

I don't blame you - with numbers like 17.5 sacks last year, anyone would think he'd be a pass rusher.  Plus, if you watch the highlight video on the page I linked earlier, he plays almost entirely RDE in a 4-3 front, and gets double teamed constantly doing it.

I think that the Ravens scouts/FO maybe see his size and strength (apparently put up 30+ reps on the bench press) and ability to take on double teams and they think they can get someone who can provide a bit of interior pressure

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

I don't blame you - with numbers like 17.5 sacks last year, anyone would think he'd be a pass rusher.  Plus, if you watch the highlight video on the page I linked earlier, he plays almost entirely RDE in a 4-3 front, and gets double teamed constantly doing it.

I think that the Ravens scouts/FO maybe see his size and strength (apparently put up 30+ reps on the bench press) and ability to take on double teams and they think they can get someone who can provide a bit of interior pressure

Yea, I mean, if you play a traditional 3-4 DE but also put up 15+ sacks, then you've got JJ Watt.  I think I might be ok with that.

Wow, I had never seen this before. WR expert Matt Waldman breaking down Jaleel Scott and immediately getting into the Senior Bowl stuff @diamondbull424 and I chirp about. Exact same take as us, insanely underrated game and mold breaking big man at the receiver position. He brakes down all the nuances to Jaleel's game, so to all of you who hate every pick we make. Come see why this guy could be a major major steal, and TD machine.

5 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Matt Waldman actually like Lasley more than he likes Scott.  Lasley was his 10th rated WR, Scott his 14th

Yea most people did. It was a super strong class, just lacking those elite top guys. We got two good ones.

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

It was a super strong class, just lacking those elite top guys. We got two good ones.

Agreed on all those points.

We've just got to hope that Lasley grows up and that Bobby Engram does his job and coaches them up well

43 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Matt Waldman actually likes Lasley more than he likes Scott.  Lasley was his 10th rated WR, Scott his 14th

Not bad for 4th and 5th round (if you buy into his grades, obviously).

Archived