coordinator0

2018 Ravens 4th-7th Round Picks

8 hours ago, Deekster37 said:

My opinion Bozeman and Elliot are the 2 best guys on the list I believe you got 2 potential starters.... especially Bozeman although overall whole list is not bad just these 2 stick out to me

While I don't know how much Elliot will be a factor, I think the Bozeman pick is at least very solid that late in the draft. I believe, from what I saw, that Bozeman can do exactly what he needs to do to be a starter for many years in the league, and I believe one of the main reason he didn't get much praise is because he doesn't look pretty when he does his job. At the very least, I think we have a decent interior backup for years.

Elliot has a more significant upside, but the Ravens have not done well with developing safeties for quite some time.

5 hours ago, Danand said:

While I don't know how much Elliot will be a factor, I think the Bozeman pick is at least very solid that late in the draft. I believe, from what I saw, that Bozeman can do exactly what he needs to do to be a starter for many years in the league, and I believe one of the main reason he didn't get much praise is because he doesn't look pretty when he does his job. At the very least, I think we have a decent interior backup for years.

Elliot has a more significant upside, but the Ravens have not done well with developing safeties for quite some time.

With Pees gone hopefully the safeties are utilized in a much better fashion. Mattison's scheme sucked for them too so yeah it's been a long time since that position has been coached well. Can't say either way for Pagano's one year, his main results seem to have come from the front seven (despite being promoted from a secondary coach).

15 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

With Pees gone hopefully the safeties are utilized in a much better fashion. Mattison's scheme sucked for them too so yeah it's been a long time since that position has been coached well. Can't say either way for Pagano's one year, his main results seem to have come from the front seven (despite being promoted from a secondary coach).

I echo this. I hope that since Pees is now gone our safeties will be better utilized and play to their strengths. Likewise, I also think Elliott has a real shot to be a playmaker for us.

For what it is worth, I see Elliot as a perfect player for the joker role (similar to what Polamalu had) while I would like to see more from him as a centerfielder. I would not be comfortable with putting him in that role from the get go. The thing is we don't seem to apply that joker roler. We have either had Mattison/Pees as you mentioned, where we tried to apply an interchangable safety tandem with bad bad results. In all honesty, since the Reed era with a clear centerfielder/box safety combination, we have had big issues getting similar production. The safeties last season was unfortunately some of the best we have seen in years after they made the shift to playing Weddle high. If it wasn't for Weddles interceptions, we would talk about that safety tandem in a completely different way.

I saw some games from late season a couple of weeks ago. Jefferson was never great last season. A lot of missed tackles and bad ankles.

15 minutes ago, Danand said:

Jefferson was never great last season

He was touted as someone able to cover TEs and backs, yet routinely he cost us TDs and yardage with his lapses/F ups. He was good at sifting through trash and getting to ball carriers, but left a lot to be desired when he did. He's a player that needs to be managed and utilized correctly off blitzes, box assignments, etc but as predicted Pees wasn't equipped to do so. It's fair to say he often was put in disadvantageous positions when factoring in his skill set but it's also fair to say he failed considerably with aspects of safety play he supposedly excelled at.

Jefferson seems like a great guy, he gelled immediately with the team and has really stepped up in the community but he was not a good player last year. We gave a 35 million dollar contract to a guy and watched him give up a touchdown to a FB. The Safety and off ball LB position were such points of pride for this franchise and now they're usually at the center of our defensive blunders.

We did something very unRaven like this past draft when we passed on Tremaine Edmunds and Derwin James, let's hope that change in philosophy proves fruitful and doesn't haunt the team. Turning down two likely All-Pro talents who would immediately erase our biggest defensive deficiencies is scary stuff. 

Once I saw the games late in the season again, I noticed how often runningbacks and receivers broke tackles against Jefferson. That was a surprise to me as I at least thought he had done well in that regard.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Once I saw the games late in the season again, I noticed how often runningbacks and receivers broke tackles against Jefferson. That was a surprise to me as I at least thought he had done well in that regard.

In Arizona, he did. As soon as he got here, it was like he was a fish out of water. Which, to me, indicates he wasn't playing comfortably and naturally within the scheme. All we can hope is that with a new scheme he's back to playing in the box and making plays.

IMO though, I don't see it happening.

Player Profiler had Nick Fairley as the best comparable to Zach Sieler and I found it interesting.

Zach Sieler-

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad
6 ft 5 34 in
(000 m)
288 lb
(000kg)
33 34 in
(0.00m)
X
(X)
4.78 s X.XX s X.XX s 4.63 s 7.01 s 30 in
(X.XX m)
9 ft 11 in
(X.XX m)

Nick Fairley-

Pre-draft measurables
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yard dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert jump Broad
6 ft 3 78 in
(1.93 m)
291 lb
(132 kg)
34 34 in
(0.88 m)
9 34 in
(0.25 m)
4.84 s 1.72 s 2.76 s 4.56 s 7.14 s 31 in
(0.79 m)
9 ft 5 in
(2.87 m)

The numbers are pretty similar. As often happens with under the radar guys, there were two sets of numbers for Sieler floating around. A 4.83 40 and 7.14 3 cone, were also out there and were even more similar to Fairley's own totals but I gave our guy his best shine :D.

It's an encouraging comp for someone we hope can become a capable interior pass rusher in his own right. Fairley was a dominant player in college, the defensive force to Newton's offensive force, and key to Auburn's championship.

Now obviously Fairley was a starter in the SEC and dropped 11 sacks which was about as good of an indicator as you can get about a prospects ability but let's not dismiss Sieler just because of his D-II affiliation.

From his exact same conference we have two players currently on our roster Matt Judon and Brandon Carr.  We've seen Judon's game translate, and Sieler was close to breaking Judon's season sack record of 20 total, coming up just short with 19.5 sacks despite being 2 years younger than Matt Judon at the time and an interior rusher! In his final season Zach came back down to earth a bit with only 7 sacks, but considering his new found attention(double and triple teams) the number is still incredible.

He has the production, the potential, and the profile both athletically and mentally to be successful. I love that he declared early from a D-II school. It shows he's no punk and had confidence in his own ability, standing tall and making that jump. He's a walk on, and former wrestling champ who put in the time to develop his body. Dedicating himself to study of nutrition and intense workout programs in his off seasons. 

There just aren't any indicators that he'll fail. Add in the mystique of Zach being Ozzie's last pick and I have as much faith as possible in this kid.  We have 5 preseason games, I predict he becomes a roster lock before we're done with them.

Quick Hit

- Zach Sieler was #9 out of the entire draft class with his 9.94 RAS(Relative Athletic Score). Of the 10 other players who scored in the 9.9s, 5 were first round picks, 2 were second round picks, 1 was a third round pick, 1 was a fourth round pick, and 1 was a 7th round pick. That 7th rounder Kendall Donnerson was also the only FCS guy of the bunch. For all you Regular Joe types out there wondering why that silly nerd score is so important, here's an article for ya  https://relativeathleticscores.com/2017/05/05/relative-athletic-scores-directly-correlate-to-sack-production-in-the-nfl/

PlayerName Pos 2018 RAS
Lorenzo Carter LB 10
Kolton Miller OT 9.99
Kendall Donnerson LB 9.98
Saquon Barkley RB 9.97
Mike Gesicki TE 9.97
Leighton Vander Esch LB 9.97
D.J. Chark WR 9.94
Troy Apke FS 9.94
Zach Sieler DT 9.94
Frank Ragnow OC 9.93
Taven Bryan DT 9.91

Not bad Ozzie, not bad.

All this list did is make me sad that Frank Ragnow isn’t on our team. He was easily my favorite OG prospect since Kevin Zeitler.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

All this list did is make me sad that Frank Ragnow isn’t on our team. He was easily my favorite OG prospect since Kevin Zeitler.

With Ragnow, we would most likely have solidified either a center or guard spot for many years. If we can talk about instincts with linemen, he was one of the most visible examples outside of Forest Lamp I can think of. He seemed like he had his head on a swirvel and great awareness to pick up stunts and blitzes.

Look out for his teammate Hjalte Froholt this year. A very cerebral and mature lineman. Very danish = humble, hard worker, honest, a little bit ugly but not Ryan Jensen ugly

A year ago when he was 21, 57" box jump but he got about 60" of air lol. That's JJ Watt territory. Don't sleep on this guy.

yeah... not every athletic freak amounts to anything in the NFL.

i'll be surprised if he even makes the PS with the deptch they have this year, but who knows. maybe they have something in this guy but there probably is a reason nobody was willing to part with even a 6th round pick for him.

13 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

yeah... not every athletic freak amounts to anything in the NFL.

i'll be surprised if he even makes the PS with the deptch they have this year, but who knows. maybe they have something in this guy but there probably is a reason nobody was willing to part with even a 6th round pick for him.

I'll never understand the motivation behind comments like this. Of course there's no guarantee with draft picks, especially 7th rounders, but there's certainly things you can build optimism upon. You can highlight encouraging signs, trends, statistics. Doing so doesn't mean you're implying the prospect will be a sure fire superstar. It's just something fans and enthusiasts of the club/sport do because it's enjoyable and interesting.

There are reasons Trey Quinn was passed on 255 times before becoming Mr. Irrelevant. None of them mean he is a bad football player or that he's destined to fall out of the league though.

When I was looking up information on Sieler I came across this exchange from our own Reddit-

"Perriman was #5 his year. Your point? Playing football wins football games. Having big hands and bench pressing doesn’t."

^^^That genius comment had a rating of -43

Elite company bruh. Way to get it.......

24 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

yeah keep pimping every last player and enjoy yourself man.

Well I wouldn't call myself a pimp, but I did have a run in with a hoe recently. Foreigner. Dopey. It didn't go anywhere, because I mean why actually entertain a hoe if you don't need to right? I do feel a bit of regret though. I really think I missed out on one of the world's most ferocious top games, you know. Someone who not only excelled at their craft, but was a bit of a visionary in the field. I'm actually getting a little sad thinking about it....

Let's just keep it on football :(.............it's the late round pick thread. Here's a DeShon Elliott gif. I feel it's relevant. 

587a505cc6a56.image.gif