2018 Ravens 4th-7th Round Picks

coordinator0

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Wow, I had never seen this before. WR expert Matt Waldman breaking down Jaleel Scott and immediately getting into the Senior Bowl stuff @diamondbull424 and I chirp about. Exact same take as us, insanely underrated game and mold breaking big man at the receiver position. He brakes down all the nuances to Jaleel's game, so to all of you who hate every pick we make. Come see why this guy could be a major major steal, and TD machine.

Yeah, I definitely really like Scott. It’s funny, a lot of people love EQSB, but Scott is like if St. Brown actually could consistently make catches outside of his frame and had legit coordination. He’s the receiver everyone wants EQSB to be.

My only concern is the mental makeup with Scott. I want to say that he could be a starter or even pro bowl caliber player, but I can’t. I don’t know how he’s built mentally. I mean, we all saw Breshad Perriman essentially meltdown this year. Jaleel Scott has burnt me before with his senior bowl performance (and his combine gauntlet drill wasn’t the best either), so at this point he needs to prove to me how he’s built.

Lasley is immature, but I think his inability to take things too seriously is what allows him to be such a clutch and big game performer. Honestly his attitude/swagger reminds me some of OBJ and his game on the field somewhat reminds me of a poor man’s OBJ back at LSU, poor because he’s not as fast and explosive, but has some concentration drops. If Lasley focuses and we develop him correctly, I think he has definite pro bowl ability.

3 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

My only concern is the mental makeup with Scott. I want to say that he could be a starter or even pro bowl caliber player, but I can’t. I don’t know how he’s built mentally. I mean, we all saw Breshad Perriman essentially meltdown this year. Jaleel Scott has burnt me before with his senior bowl performance (and his combine gauntlet drill wasn’t the best either), so at this point he needs to prove to me how he’s built.

Well, we at least know he was able to make it through all the trials of going the Juco route. He has the work ethic and dedication in him, now it's about the moxy and nerves. I'm with you, I can't trust it until I see it on the field consistently. We know if things don't go Lasley's way he just won't care or let it affect him. If he breaks his leg he'll just think about how much faster he's going to be when he comes back. Hopefully he rubs off on Scott in that regard and Scott helps teach him about maturity. 

The hands I think are an overrated problem. I don’t think Lasley is a Torrey Smith who no matter how hard he works will never look natural as a hands catcher. With Lasley his problems seems to be concentration/focus.

While I’m not saying this is who he will become, but Lasley’s reminds me a lot of Chad Johnson. Immaturity issues that make you question his ability to succeed, but has a lot of fun when playing the game. That said he has a very short conscience and will easily go from making a dropped pass to making multiple big plays. His ability to not take things too serious is both a positive and a negative because of this. Similar to Chad Johnson.

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Great example of the extensively vetted hype Jaleel was getting just off his tape-

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/jaleel-scott-is-a-major-2018-nfl-draft-sleeper-with-no-1-wideout-potential/

I think this is actually a very good take. He has a lot of potential and I think it’s going to serve him quite well to have fallen this far. He won’t have the pressure of having the expectations to contribute right away as a 4th round selection. Similar to Lamar Jackson with Joe Flacco/James Urban, Jaleel will get to redshirt this season with low expectations (on him) and learn from a chill route savvy guy like Michael Crabtree.

If he can develop in the intricacies of his route running, with his ability to high point footballs (unlike EQSB), quickness (unlike Auden Tate), and with his natural fluidity that most tall receivers don’t have (Allen Lazard), then he has the potential to really become a sleeper option. What’s also pretty cool is he buys into the team. He grew up a Ravens fan. He grew up a fan of defense, thought he would be a defensive player. His favorite player was Ed Reed. So that’s always a good thing when you’ve got people who buy into the vision.

I’m not really expecting him to compete for a spot until next year, but between Lasley and Scott, I definitely see at least one of them hitting and becoming a reliable receiving option.

Has to be said. Although Jaleel Scott failed one Pressure & Prove It situation at the Senior Bowl, he did much better at another in Indianapolis. Only letting one ball hit the turf and making a ton of tough catches at the Combine, for some there's more pressure there. It doesn't erase what happened at the Senior Bowl, which for those who don't know was a week full of nothing but drops and other negative traits that just didn't show up on tape, but if we're going to acknowledge his failings, so too should we acknowledge his successes. 

You want to perform well at the Senior Bowl, it's a tool that can either raise or lower your stock. It isn't however, a tool that sets your career's fate in stone. Just as Breshad Perriman can stack great practice after practice in camp and still end up horrible. Prospects can perform poorly at the Senior Bowl and still end up great. Zay Jones aced the Senior Bowl last year and ended up as one of the league's worst WRs, conversely Trent Taylor didn't have a good week and has acquitted himself well so far in the NFL. 

Obviously you want prospects to ace every aspect to be that much more confident in them, back up what you've seen on film, but ultimately you want great tape over great practices all day. Jaleel has that, he has excellent cut ups that show a unique talent, and honestly if not for the bad week knocking him down a round or two we wouldn't have been able to pick him. I'm ecstatic that he's joining the team and I know he has it in him to become great. Let's hope he does.  

I think the important thing is to be patient with regard to Jaleel Scott. I really like him, but I think he will need at least a year to get acclimated to the jump up in competition. In terms of talent, his ability is clear, but guys like Vincent Jackson and Brandon Marshall all needed time to acclimate.

I think Scott will be a good player, but I think he would do well to learn from Michael Crabtree. They possess a similar style of play, only Scott is 4” taller and has elite arm length to boot. Right now, we might not be willing to part ways with John Brown or Willie Snead, so it’ll be difficult to beat them out as incumbent starters. Chris Moore would probably have the leg up, so both of the rookies will have their work cut out for them.

There’s a good chance that one of them will end up on “injured reserve” for this season and of the two, Scott could probably use the additional time the most. He’s seeing the biggest competition jump and he’s also going from an air raid system to one of the more traditional NFL offenses. Whereas Lasley is coming from a more pro ready system.

2 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

For how much Joe loves throwing jump balls, it's a wonder why we haven't tried more to get guys like Jaleel Scott on the field, especially lined up wide in goal line situations.

Also when Joe or Lamar miss, it's usually high, getting all these big men was good strategy. 

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

For how much Joe loves throwing jump balls, it's a wonder why we haven't tried more to get guys like Jaleel Scott on the field, especially lined up wide in goal line situations.

Well, they did with Waller. Then moved him to TE. Granted, that was a good move, but Flacco did like targeting Waller for the small amount of time they had him at WR. If Scott sees the field I think Joe will look his way often enough.

• 1 month later...

Archived