So, tell me who had the best and worst drafts?

jleisher

46 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

When you got a draft that pays dividends now and the next year, you had a good draft.  We had a damn good draft.  Only regret is no pass rusher, but it will be something we can't ignore next year, and we've got the capital to get a really good one, if not the best one. 

Problem is we said this EXACT same thing last year. Pretty sure I didn't see a single mock draft that had Packers taking an EDGE later than their 2nd pick and if so, it was criticized for that reason.

Hope the mood doesnt suddenly change now and we just say "well we are okay we can just go with what we have." Need to address the position between now and camp. Hopefully Gute is ready and willing to fill any remaining holes, even if they are stop-gap moves.

27 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Problem is we said this EXACT same thing last year. Pretty sure I didn't see a single mock draft that had Packers taking an EDGE later than their 2nd pick and if so, it was criticized for that reason.

Hope the mood doesnt suddenly change now and we just say "well we are okay we can just go with what we have." Need to address the position between now and camp. Hopefully Gute is ready and willing to fill any remaining holes, even if they are stop-gap moves.

i'm the biggest proponent for drafting edge guys on this site, but this class sucked. I'd rather take good players than bad players more than I want EDGE guys.

40 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I've wanted to go edge for many years and it never ever happens. I'm kinda pissed but IDK anymore.

27 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i'm the biggest proponent for drafting edge guys on this site, but this class sucked. I'd rather take good players than bad players more than I want EDGE guys.

I get what you are saying about taking good players, but if you are looking for the perfect EDGE prospect, then you will be looking a long time if your team is drafting outside of the top 5-10 picks.  Sometimes, you need to take a chance and see what happens.  It gets harder to find a competent EDGE rusher when you don't select them.

I feel we really followed a board for the first time in a few years. This didn't feel like a "win now" draft, as much as a "lets get talent in the door" draft. I don't think we are done building this team. Its an awesome feeling to have. I am impressed with Gute so far, but obviously time will tell. 

I'm already working on my 2019 mock draft. Should be ready in a few days. Stay tuned!

On paper, the Packers did very well. Edge rusher? Look at some of the guys they got last year, such as Biegel, who now will have the chance to show what he can do when healthy. Pettine's defense should be an improvement over the overcomplicated schemes of Capers. New concepts on both sides of the ball, with MM hopefully moving away from having his receivers beat coverage, rather than finding ways to get the receivers some space. Wilkerson is playing for a big contract, and hopefully Adams can at least be a rotational player. Meanwhile, Cobb should be worried, with all those big, physical WR's coming into camp, and everyone thinking he's overpaid. If Alexander and Jackson can contribute right away, in the slot and on the edge, respectively as a nickel, great. And then there are the UDFA's, at least one or two are likely to stick with the team if history is any indication. 

I thought the draft was solid, and think the picks have potential. How many will contribute? Who will surprise in camp? As with my (never gonna happen) mock, stay tuned. Because Gutekunst is going to shake up this team like we haven't seen since TT first became GM.

Archived