So, tell me who had the best and worst drafts?

jleisher

9 hours ago, squire12 said:

Always have to wonder if this is what Vegas things is the odds of the team getting there or where they set the odds based on public wagering?

Somewhere between the two. Both are relatively accurate though.

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Schneider reminding me why I need to be happier that GB hired Gute.

Man, he had another stinker of a draft.

Tell me about it. Shows he's not that good unless he's picking  near the top, he's been terrible since the Wilson era. Thank god he was blocked from interviewing with us.

Seems like the Vikings fans aren't that excited about there draft class either.

I say now you know what it feels like drafting in the 30's.

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

chicago_bears.png

1(8) - Roquan Smith [LB; Georgia]
2(39) - James Daniels [C; Iowa]
2(51) - Anthony Miller [WR; Memphis]
4(115) - Joel Iyiegbuniwe [LB; Western Kentucky]
5(145) - Bilal Nichols [DT; Delaware]
6(181) - Kylie Fitts [EDGE; Utah]
7(224) - Javon Wims [WR; Georgia]

It's hard to find much to fault with the Bears draft, they got a good combination of upside and floors.  It might not go down as the sexiest of drafts, but this is probably a draft class that 10+ years down the road we're looking back and talking about the impact that this draft class had on the Bears' fortune.  Let's start at the beginning where the Bears tabbed Roquan Smith with the 8th overall pick.  Personally, I had Tremaine Edmunds as my top ranked LB and largely was based on the upside possessed.  Given his relative small stature, I had some questions about his ability to hold up in traffic particularly if the lineman in front of him were unable to sustain their blockers allowing him to make their move.  Ultimately though, it's hard to believe that he won't be productive with the Bears especially after producing at a high level at Georgia against tough SEC competition.  James Daniels graded out as my highest ranked C prospect in this year's drat, and figures to be a relatively safe bet to to anchor the offensive line for the next decade.  Billy Price and Frank Ragnow would have been ultimately graded higher than Daniels, in large part because I felt that Ragnow and Price had legitimate value as guard prospects as well.  I didn't really see guard value in Daniels, which is probably part of the reason why he fell into the second round where Billy Price and Frank Ragnow went in the first round.  Grabbing Anthony Miller towards the tail end of the second round is good value for him, although I question his fit outside of the slot.  The bigger issue I have is with what they gave up to secure him.  After giving up their third round pick as part of the Mitchell Trubisky trade, they had to give up a '19 2nd round pick to receive the pick from the Patriots.  Barring short of a significant improvement out of Mitchell Trubisky, they figure to be a bottom 10 team so giving up a pick in the 33-42 range is going to be hard to swallow.  The only WR's of value that I had left were Michael Gallup, so if you're fine with what they gave up then the value of the pick itself isn't bad.  In the fourth round, the Bears took Joel Iyiegbuniwe out of Western Kentucky who declared early for the NFL draft.  While I question his decision, it's not for me to judge when he's the one making the decision.  As for the player himself, he's a tremendous athlete but his lack of size is going to create struggles for him to succeed and he's going to fill in the same role as Roquan Smith which would indicate that he's a ST player at most.  Bilal Nichols came on late and showed up well at the East-West Shrine game.  There are some concerns about his motor.  Given his raw physical tools and how well he played against decent competition, that's not a bad gamble to make especially this late in the draft.  At the very least, he figures to add some solid depth on the defensive line for the Bears.  The inconsistent tape and hot/cold motor probably turned teams off.  Pass rushers tend to go off the board early and often, especially those who are proven.  Kylie Fitts wasn't very productive in terms of production in college, but he's a better athlete than given credit for.  He's probably not much more than a situational pass rusher at the next level, but his flexibility in terms of roles he was asked to play makes him a solid bet to make the final 53 and play on special teams.  I hadn't really evaluated Javon Wims as he was an average athlete at best and less than ideal hand size.  Given his limited athleticism, it's going to be tough for him to make the final 53 unless he cracks on special teams.  Overall, it's a solid but unspectacular draft class.  They should get a good amount of production, particularly out of their first two picks who should be stalwarts for the Bears for years to come.  Grabbing Anthony Miller gives the Bears another option to give Mitchell Trubisky to thrive, but the value is where I have the biggest question.  If the Bears keep borrowing picks from the future, they're eventually going to regret that decision and they need to put Mitchell Trubisky in a position to succeed.

Best Value Pick: James Daniels [C; Iowa]
Worst Value Pick: Anthony Miller [WR; Memphis]
Grade: B+

Never thought i'd be saying this in the Rodgers era but the Bears are starting to scare me.

36 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Never thought i'd be saying this in the Rodgers era but the Bears are starting to scare me.

Depends almost entirely on their QB's development, like every team now, but they definitely made some good moves to improve this off-season. On paper anyway. 

It looks like the Bears got two immediate, and long term starters with their first two picks.  Their once porous offensive line now has Long-Daniels-Sitton on the interior.  That is a decent haul if nothing else hits.  

2 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

It looks like the Bears got two immediate, and long term starters with their first two picks.  Their once porous offensive line now has Long-Daniels-Sitton on the interior.  That is a decent haul if nothing else hits.  

Sitton is on the Dolphins.

It's Whitehair

5 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

That kid Miller they gave up their 3rd for is being compared to Antonio Brown. I hope that's not the case.

1 hour ago, St Vince said:

That kid Miller they gave up their 3rd for is being compared to Antonio Brown. I hope that's not the case.

I liked Miller a lot in the draft, thought they got a good one there.

Archived