Ravens 2018 Draft Grades (forum)

sp6488

How do you grade the Ravens 2018 draft?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the Ravens 2018 draft?

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

my biggest issue with this draft is i can't answer if the Ravens are in win-now or rebuild mode.

TE in rounds 1+3 point me to the latter as they'll help Flacco a lot, if they amount to anything that is.

QB rd1 and the WR who'll need a year or 2 before they'll be worth anything imo point me in the opposite direction and tell me they are part of the young core to grow with/for LJ.

whats more, i made it clear that i am sceptical if LJ ever amounts to anything. i am hopeful he will be the QBOTF and a top10 QB in this league for years but much too early to tell.

so, i give this draft a C as of today, give me two years and it may well be the best draft class for this team eva! but i have seen too much bad drafting lately to not remain sceptical at this point.

e/

forgot to mention my favorite pick - DeShone Elliott. i do believe he'll be the successor to Weddle and a starter come 2019. not Ed Reed caliber but very serviceable.

he'll outplay his draft slot by far.

Couple things.

I agree that this draft seemed more "win now" than rebuild. The major piece to rebuilding was Lamar Jackson. Everyone else is basically contributing to the "win now" mentality of Joe throwing to TE's more than WR's.

As for Elliott, he's a box safety. If we put him at FS, that's a major mistake. If anything, he should be taking over for Jefferson once we move on from him in a couple years. We still need a true FS who can roam the back end, and that may come next year via the draft, but Elliott is not that guy.

• 7 months later...

Interesting is that when people mention Lamar Jackson on the telecast they always point out his inability to throw the football yet they salivate over the throws that Josh Allen can make. I honestly didn’t know Jackson was on pace to have easily the more efficient numbers outside of Mayfield.

1. Baker Mayfield- 12 GS, QB Record: 6-6, 64.6% comp, 3349 yds passing, 24 touchdown, 11 INTs, 131 yds rushing, 0 TDs.

2. Sam Darnold- 12 GS, QB Record: 4-8, 57.8% comp, 2698 yards, 17 TDs, 15 INTs, 110 yards rushing, 1 TD.

3. Josh Allen- 10 GS, QB Record: 4-6, 51.7% comp, 1850 yards, 7 TDs, 11 INTs, 536 yards rushing, 6 TDs.

4. Josh Rosen- 12 GS, QB Record: 3-9, 55.4% comp, 2129 yards, 10 TDs, 14 INTs, 138 yards rushing, 0 TD.

5. Lamar Jackson- 6 GS, QB Record: 5-1, 58.2% comp, 1022 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs, 605 yards rushing, 3 TDs.

I think it’s interesting to see that Lamar, for as much as his passing ability has been maligned he has the second best passing accuracy of the rookie QBs, has the second best TD/Int ratio, and the lowest number of thrown picks- even if we extrapolate his number of starts to 12 like the other QBs he seemingly would be in single digits. So for the guy that some “analysts” thought should switch positions, I wonder if these other QBs should equally think about making the switch.

13 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Interesting is that when people mention Lamar Jackson on the telecast they always point out his inability to throw the football yet they salivate over the throws that Josh Allen can make. I honestly didn’t know Jackson was on pace to have easily the more efficient numbers outside of Mayfield.

1. Baker Mayfield- 12 GS, QB Record: 6-6, 64.6% comp, 3349 yds passing, 24 touchdown, 11 INTs, 131 yds rushing, 0 TDs.

2. Sam Darnold- 12 GS, QB Record: 4-8, 57.8% comp, 2698 yards, 17 TDs, 15 INTs, 110 yards rushing, 1 TD.

3. Josh Allen- 10 GS, QB Record: 4-6, 51.7% comp, 1850 yards, 7 TDs, 11 INTs, 536 yards rushing, 6 TDs.

4. Josh Rosen- 12 GS, QB Record: 3-9, 55.4% comp, 2129 yards, 10 TDs, 14 INTs, 138 yards rushing, 0 TD.

5. Lamar Jackson- 6 GS, QB Record: 5-1, 58.2% comp, 1022 yards, 6 TDs, 3 INTs, 605 yards rushing, 3 TDs.

I think it’s interesting to see that Lamar, for as much as his passing ability has been maligned he has the second best passing accuracy of the rookie QBs, has the second best TD/Int ratio, and the lowest number of thrown picks- even if we extrapolate his number of starts to 12 like the other QBs he seemingly would be in single digits. So for the guy that some “analysts” thought should switch positions, I wonder if these other QBs should equally think about making the switch.

I know we can't talk about race on this forum, but you simply can't ignore that factor when looking at why people thought (and still think) Josh Allen is a good passer, but Lamar is not.

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I know we can't talk about race on this forum, but you simply can't ignore that factor when looking at why people thought (and still think) Josh Allen is a good passer, but Lamar is not.

Yeah there was definitely some bias that contributed to the analysis of Lamar Jackson when he passes for over 9000 yards and suddenly he’s considered too raw to play QB at the NFL level. Somehow he’s so raw that he has to sit for two-three years.

Now I was down for letting him sit for 2-3 years, but not because I didn’t believe he could throw, but because of two reasons: 1. Aaron Rodgers sat (for three years), Phillip Rivers sat for a year, Patrick Mahomes sat for a year, etc. I thought (and still believe) him sitting would allow him to be a more polished passer once he got going.

2. I wanted him to be as polished a passer he could be from the onset because given certain biases against him as a QB I didn’t want him to struggle with decision making or accuracy and have the media and fans eat him alive for performing similar to his other young peers. I just can’t help but think how if Lamar tossed 4 picks in a game like some of these other rookie QBs he would he lambasted and there would be topics about whether he should switch positions.

I mean he has the 2nd best completion percentage of the rookie QBs, yet the media cherry pick his stats  with statements like “he’s only completing 45% of his passes 10 yards down the field”. But state it in a way so as to sound like he’s only hitting on 45% of his passes. Yet they fawn over both Josh Allen and Sam Darnold so as to justify their high opinions of them coming into the draft. Certain biases definitely play a factor in this argument for sure.

While I like the Lamar Jackson pick, I don't really feel like we comitted ourselves to building a strong team either this year or when he is supposed to take over 1-2 years down the road. We tried to stay competitive this year with the usual approach by taking a flyer on late round wide receivers and some role players to plug in, but not fully commit to add difference makers.

Or to say it in another way, we really bet on Hurst and Andrews being the guys to catch the ball and then hope we get something from the wide receiver bunch collected this off season.

Hurst was drafted too early, but lets just see it as Lamar Jackson picked at 25 and Hurst with a 52 pick. Kenny Young was imo way too early, but if he is a special teams ace from the get go, the pick makes sense. I liked some of Scotts tape and really didn't like other parts. I have to watch the video put up in his draft thread to see if theres something I am missing, but players who fluctuate like he did worries me. Lasley I am ok with - right until he gets into trouble again and I will consider it a wasted pick because all the alarm clocks where already blinking. We could have had some sure fire hard working, blue collar wide receivers with less talent who would most likely produce but with less upside.

Orlando Brown great, Deshon Elliot great, Anthony Everett great, Bradley Bozeman great.

But all in all, I miss a clear thread in what we tried to do through the draft. It looks better due to the high number of picks, but it seems we did a little bit of everything instead of comitting.

---

The stuff above is what I take away from the draft. Kenny Young is basically the only surprise to me and while his snaps has been decreased a little, I think we found a situational role player at worst. As mentioned above, he seems to play better in the NFL than he did his last year in college.

O. Brown and Bozeman has been immediate impacts as both backups/starters on the oline - we can't ask for more there and I believe we have found two future starters or great high value backups. Elliot unfortunately went to IR and Averett has fortunately been limited due to us being healthy at the position for once. Andrews was the Dennis Pitta type we expected, but Hurst hasn't found his role on the team yet. If he was two years younger I believe we would see him in a different light. As of now he is close to a non-contributor as a 1. round player.

We got nothing from the wide receivers, but maybe Lasley sitting and learning and being humbled isn't a bad thing.

Lamar and the media (and several fanbases) is just horrible to watch. I am the first to point out that his play is heavily based on run and passes over the middle to wide open receivers and that his downfield passes has lacked a lot. But what he has been able to do in this offense is at least equal to what Josh Allen has done. Lamar has a better setup, but so far Josh Allen is a 5 big play a game QB, really hit and miss but some of his passes are so beautiful he is recognized as a good passer.

Darnold showed the same he did in college but has he done better than Lamar this year? I don't think so. Rosen has it even worse with the Cardinals, but again, is it better than Lamar?

Under these circumstances, Lamar and Baker Mayfield has the best scenarios, and Mayfield has been head above shoulders compared to the other drafted QB's. Lamar so far leads the rest of the pack with Josh Allen/Darnold second.

Archived