Where do you rank Witten all time among TEs?

Malik

He finally called it a career so it's time to see where he ranks amongst everyone. I'm curious how the older people rate him because of how many TEs from the 70s-90s that I never really got to see outside of a little Shannon Sharpe. Receiving statistics are hard considering Witten played entirely in an era where QBs across all offensive systems threw the ball to TEs. Whereas someone like Kellen Winslow didn't have that luxury even though he was a great receiver when given the opportunity (from what I've heard).

9 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

On talent and athletic ability? Sure.

Gronk can't hold a candle to Witten's consistency though and he hasn't really earned a top 10 spot all time IMO. 

To each there own. 

I think Gronk has shown enough to be ranked as high as number one. 

9 hours ago, game3525 said:

To each there own. 

I think Gronk has shown enough to be ranked as high as number one. 

I couldn't rank Gronk's shorter career at the same level as Tony Gonzalez, not going to happen. Gonzalez was more durable, and excelled in his 30s.

He was never the dynamic weapon of a Gonzalez, Gronkowski, Gates, Sharpe, Winslow etc

but he was probably the most complete TE of that lot when you consider things like blocking, consistency, and durability.  He was also the arguably the best option route runner of all time, the man simply knew how to read coverages and find openings and did it every Sunday.  You never really saw negative plays from Witten, consummate pro.

have to respect a guy who maximized his talents and potential by perfecting his craft.

Simply one of the best.  Gronkowski, Gonzalez, Gates, Sharpe, Winslow, Mackie, Christensen, Ditka, Casper, Newsome, Smith, Jordan, Jones, Novachek...

Witten belongs right there with them. Don't know about rankings or whatever. Just think he's in tier worthy of being remembered. 

19 hours ago, TheFinisher said:

but he was probably the most complete TE of that lot when you consider things like blocking, consistency, and durability.  He was also the arguably the best option route runner of all time, the man simply knew how to read coverages and find openings and did it every Sunday.  You never really saw negative plays from Witten, consummate pro.

Tony G's blocking ability really gets underrated because of the last two or three years of his careeer. Consistency wise I'd also take Tony G over Witten. I liked Witten as a player but I do wonder if he isn't being overrated based on the team he played for. I'd agree with Kiwibrown that the backend of the top 10 all time is probably where he belongs.

Archived