2018 POST DRAFT PLAYER AND ROSTER ANALYSIS

AKRNA

4 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah unfortunately there just isn't the cap space to make moves of any real significance post-draft except vet min types due to that turd Menelik Watson. 

Having said that, if they really think there is some piece out there that could help them make a run this year (yeah, not seeing it) they could try to pursue an NBA/Osweiler-esque salary dump to a team flush with cap space and send a 6th plus Menelik for a 7th to clear almost 5 million dollars, but that almost assuredly would never happen. 

19 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Let me get back to you on OT's. I don't think we're as weak there as we think. IMO, Watson will struggle to make the team.

I think Watson serves his purpose as a backup...I mean, you need him for just that reason, I think.  I mean, would I be worried about him in there for a few games if he had to spell Vandheer for a few games..yes.  But, I would worry about anyone in a backup role...unfortunately that is part of the game.  

I like this draft, but I can't love it. I think staying pat at 5 and taking Chubb was a good move. To get the consensus best defensive player in the draft at 5 is a win. My big concern with him is scheme fit. He doesn't strike me as a stand up edge player and would be better suited for a 4-3 front. I think we will get creative and play him both inside and out, but he has a similar build to DeMarcus Walker who struggled to transition (though Chubb has much higher upside due to his instincts and athleticism). 

I hate the Sutton pick. Not because I don't think we got good value and that he won't be a good player, I just don't see him playing a huge role next year and that there were players on the board that would have a great impact at a position of need. One of the big-bodied receiving tight ends or Christian Kirk would have been ideal, especially to maximize Keenum's skill set. 

I think after that Elway did a good job of picking low ceiling high floor players. Guys like Freeman and Jewell had tremendous production in college, but both are average to below average NFL athletes. They'll be good football players, but I don't think either will have a tremendous impact. I would've much preferred to trade back into the end of the 2nd and taken a guy like Guice that has all-pro upside.

The real reason I can't give this draft a grade higher than a B- is the the fact we failed to acknowledge our biggest weakness, the offensive line. I think trading back and taking a guy like Wynn or Hernandez at 22, and then doubling up at #40 would've set this team up for greater long term success. Really, I only see one "starter" from this draft.

40 minutes ago, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

I like this draft, but I can't love it. I think staying pat at 5 and taking Chubb was a good move. To get the consensus best defensive player in the draft at 5 is a win. My big concern with him is scheme fit. He doesn't strike me as a stand up edge player and would be better suited for a 4-3 front. I think we will get creative and play him both inside and out, but he has a similar build to DeMarcus Walker who struggled to transition (though Chubb has much higher upside due to his instincts and athleticism). 

I hate the Sutton pick. Not because I don't think we got good value and that he won't be a good player, I just don't see him playing a huge role next year and that there were players on the board that would have a great impact at a position of need. One of the big-bodied receiving tight ends or Christian Kirk would have been ideal, especially to maximize Keenum's skill set. 

I think after that Elway did a good job of picking low ceiling high floor players. Guys like Freeman and Jewell had tremendous production in college, but both are average to below average NFL athletes. They'll be good football players, but I don't think either will have a tremendous impact. I would've much preferred to trade back into the end of the 2nd and taken a guy like Guice that has all-pro upside.

The real reason I can't give this draft a grade higher than a B- is the the fact we failed to acknowledge our biggest weakness, the offensive line. I think trading back and taking a guy like Wynn or Hernandez at 22, and then doubling up at #40 would've set this team up for greater long term success. Really, I only see one "starter" from this draft.

First of all, welcome aboard. 

I disagree on a few things. One, we I think we get more than one starter from this draft. Easily. I think Chubb, Sutton, Freeman, Jewell, Yiadom and Hamilton all have the potential to end up starters. Chubb I don't need to discuss. Sutton will eventually replace DT as the starting X and Hamilton has a chance to be the starting slot, or No. 3 WR, which, like No. 3 CB that I see Yiadom growing into, is for all intents and purposes a starting job. We will run a RBBC, most teams who lack that Todd Gurley/Le'Veon Bell/Zeke Elliot type of alpha back, use a RBBC and I think Freeman is the lead horse in that stable for us. I think Jewell has the potential to grow into a starting ILB, or at least someone who sees plenty of action in sub packages. 

We can all play MMQB and say, "I would have done this instead" and that's entire fine to do, but I think it's hard to be unhappy with this draft. 

15 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

After paying our rookies, we will have just over $2.7m left in cap space. 

The cap is actually based on top 51 - the line above.   So we have about 13.2M.   But as I’ve mentioned before we are 29th-30th out of 32 teams for 2019.   So rollover is a very definite option.   Every $ really matters. 

I think we probably got 2 day one starters in the draft - Freeman and Chubb. I think Sutton will be starting next season. I think drafting Chubb was a "win now and in the future" move while taking one of the Josh's would have obviously not helped this season at all. Vance probably was very anti-QB lol. 

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

First of all, welcome aboard. 

I disagree on a few things. One, we I think we get more than one starter from this draft. Easily. I think Chubb, Sutton, Freeman, Jewell, Yiadom and Hamilton all have the potential to end up starters. Chubb I don't need to discuss. Sutton will eventually replace DT as the starting X and Hamilton has a chance to be the starting slot, or No. 3 WR, which, like No. 3 CB that I see Yiadom growing into, is for all intents and purposes a starting job. We will run a RBBC, most teams who lack that Todd Gurley/Le'Veon Bell/Zeke Elliot type of alpha back, use a RBBC and I think Freeman is the lead horse in that stable for us. I think Jewell has the potential to grow into a starting ILB, or at least someone who sees plenty of action in sub packages. 

We can all play MMQB and say, "I would have done this instead" and that's entire fine to do, but I think it's hard to be unhappy with this draft. 

Yeah I agree!  I wasn't to happy after the fifth but I loved the Sutton pick.  I am so tired of DT - I regret resigning him.  And what's with these guys and their moms.  Vince Young ruined by his mom.  DT's life complicated and his play deteriorated when mom got out of jail.  And my latest mom issue is Lamar Jackson.  I went from loving that guy as a prospect to thinking he is a RETARD!!  Overall I think our draft sent a message to a few positions that needed a message sent. 

1 minute ago, anewdawn said:

Yeah I agree!  I wasn't to happy after the fifth but I loved the Sutton pick.  I am so tired of DT - I regret resigning him.  And what's we these guys and their moms.  Vince Young ruined by his mom.  DT's life complicated and his play deteriorated when mom got out of jail.  And my latest mom issue is Lamar Jackson.  I went from loving that guy as a prospect to thinking he is a RETARD!!  Overall I think our draft sent a message to a few positions that needed a message sent. 

Lmao what on Earth is this 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Lmao what on Earth is this 

When some of these clowns let their moms take a hands on approach to their football it really doesn't seem to work in a lot of the cases.  Lmao - I may not be able to explain this is any short order but wow did my opinion of Jackson ever change over the whole draft process including his post selection interviews etc!

5 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

When some of these clowns let their moms take a hands on approach to their football it really doesn't seem to work in a lot of the cases.  Lmao - I may not be able to explain this is any short order but wow did my opinion of Jackson ever change over the whole draft process including his post selection interviews etc!

It was a bad move for him because she clearly couldn't connect with teams, and she certainly did nothing to get him prepared for interviews/meetings.  It very well could have cost him $ by falling to 1.32 instead of say, the 20's.   It shouldn't affect his ability to play, though.   He will succeed or fail based on that.   Vince Young couldn't play at a NFL level.   His mom's only blame in that was not passing on the gene that helps athletic freaks be QB's, but she'd be joining every other mother I know of.

If you are arguing that his family will make it harder for Jackson to succeed because of distractions, that's very possible.  But he's not even close to a minority in that case.    

Going after a guy's mom is just using bias.   Because it's public knowledge, it seems more important than it probably is.   Lots of players go through family drama, and we only get to see those who are in the public eye.   Don't get fooled into thinking this is that different of a case.

Plus...we're 2 weeks away from Mother's Day.   Not cool!

(kidding on the last one...kinda)

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It was a bad move for him because she clearly couldn't connect with teams, and she certainly did nothing to get him prepared for interviews/meetings.  It very well could have cost him $ by falling to 1.32 instead of say, the 20's.   It shouldn't affect his ability to play, though.   He will succeed or fail based on that.   Vince Young couldn't play at a NFL level.   His mom's only blame in that was not passing on the gene that helps athletic freaks be QB's, but she'd be joining every other mother I know of.

If you are arguing that his family will make it harder for Jackson to succeed because of distractions, that's very possible.  But he's not even close to a minority in that case.    

Going after a guy's mom is just using bias.   Because it's public knowledge, it seems more important than it probably is.   Lots of players go through family drama, and we only get to see those who are in the public eye.   Don't get fooled into thinking this is that different of a case.

Plus...we're 2 weeks away from Mother's Day.   Not cool!

(kidding on the last one...kinda)

I know that way too many  of these guys come from fatherless families so I know the moms are extremely important.   But sometimes you see a parent kind of screw things up for their kids.  I think that's what happened here.  I always thought that Tiger's dad was instrumental in a positive way and I think Cam's dad was instrumental with Cam's initials years until he got paid and became too big to be handled - till he met our defense that fine super bowl day!   But I admit it's a thread I shouldn't have started - you all may have gotten my point if we shared numerous amounts of beer over a few hours - lol.  I don't really think I can explain what I was getting at through the printed word alone.     

6 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I know that way too many  of these guys come from fatherless families so I know the moms are extremely important.   But sometimes you see a parent kind of screw things up for their kids.  I think that's what happened here.  I always thought that Tiger's dad was instrumental in a positive way and I think Cam's dad was instrumental with Cam's initials years until he got paid and became too big to be handled - till he met our defense that fine super bowl day!   But I admit it's a thread I shouldn't have started - you all may have gotten my point if we shared numerous amounts of beer over a few hours - lol.  I don't really think I can explain what I was getting at over the printed word alone.     

It's fair to say the internet is not the best method to get into such a discussion as complex as this - your point that it's hard to get all the points across, totally good there.   I'd only point out it's hard to say those statements about Lamar, DT, Young, in a vacuum.  Lamar's mom may have made the wrong decision to think she could represent him (ok, she definitely made the wrong decision lol) - but she's also parented him to the point he got this far, too.     So it's not hard to see guys with single moms be loyal.   

And to be fair, we don't win SB50 without DT, he was nails in that playoff run.   And he's been our most reliable WR since that extension.  He may no longer be worth the salary now, but that doesn't eliminate the greatness he's given us.    It's frustrating because he's dropped balls, but that comes with the territory - he's gotten a huge bad rap for being soft, when he's played every game, every season (sure he goes to the sidelines for some plays, but playing every game every season, that's an ironman feat that removes all doubt that he's not giving 100 percent each week).    Blaming his problems on his mom, that's overly reductionist - if anything, the wear and tear on his body is more to blame (as it's robbed him of that elite explosiveness and YAC home run ability he used to have).

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It's fair to say the internet is not the best method to get into such a discussion as complex as this.   I'd only point out it's hard to say those statements in a vacuum.  She may have made the wrong decision to think she could represent him (ok, she definitely made the wrong decision lol) - but she's also parented him to the point he got this far, too.     So it's not hard to see guys with single moms be loyal.   

And to be fair, we don't win SB50 without DT, he was nails in that playoff run.  

You must be thinking of Sanders, DT could not have played worse in those three games. Don't know the exact numbers but it was baaaad. 

Archived