2018 POST DRAFT PLAYER AND ROSTER ANALYSIS

AKRNA

58 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Watched an interview with Elway and he said they dipped into analytics for the first time - I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that.

Finally.  Enlightened thinking and using every tool available (combined with old school not replacing it just so I’m clear).   Instead of just using outdated methods like straight line speed.  Also explains a Jewell type pick.   Nothing but applause.  

Since there’s no other place to put them, neither drafted or new UDFA’s I thought I’d mention some other guys fighting for roster spots. Some are PS players, others signed to short term contracts that are long shots to make the roster.

Anyway, here’s the IOL guys, both on the PS.

JJ Dielman:  C, 6’5”, 300 lb, 24 year old rookie from Utah. Drafted by Cincinnati in the 5th rd last year.  Denver signed him off Cincinnatti’s PS  Dec 17, 2017.

Started 26 games at RT before moving to center his final year at Utah . The biggest knock on him was lack of strength, something easily cured in an NFL weight room. Also, a team captain at Utah.

Jeremiah Poutasi: OG, 6’5”, 330 lb, 23 yo, 3rd year pro, also from Utah. Drafted by Tennessee in the 3rd rd (66th overall) in 2015.  Signed to our PS Dec 5, 2017.

Started  10 games at RT his Freshman year, then started at LT the next two seasons earning 2nd team PAC-12 honors. The biggest knocks on him were technique oriented. Basically, he needed lots of coaching. Physical limitations will force him inside in the NFL.

So, the optimistic take is both men have showed enough “want to” and development to convince the coaches they can contribute, either as starters or quality depth.

That would go a long ways explaining why we did nothing to secure an OG in the early rounds. It may be the coaching staff doesn’t see OG as a pressing need. We’ll find out soon enough.

45 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Since there’s no other place to put them, neither drafted or new UDFA’s I thought I’d mention some other guys fighting for roster spots. Some are PS players, others signed to short term contracts that are long shots to make the roster.

Anyway, here’s the IOL guys, both on the PS.

JJ Dielman:  C, 6’5”, 300 lb, 24 year old rookie from Utah. Drafted by Cincinnati in the 5th rd last year.  Denver signed him off Cincinnatti’s PS  Dec 17, 2017.

Started 26 games at RT before moving to center his final year at Utah . The biggest knock on him was lack of strength, something easily cured in an NFL weight room. Also, a team captain at Utah.

Jeremiah Poutasi: OG, 6’5”, 330 lb, 23 yo, 3rd year pro, also from Utah. Drafted by Tennessee in the 3rd rd (66th overall) in 2015.  Signed to our PS Dec 5, 2017.

Started  10 games at RT his Freshman year, then started at LT the next two seasons earning 2nd team PAC-12 honors. The biggest knocks on him were technique oriented. Basically, he needed lots of coaching. Physical limitations will force him inside in the NFL.

So, the optimistic take is both men have showed enough “want to” and development to convince the coaches they can contribute, either as starters or quality depth.

That would go a long ways explaining why we did nothing to secure an OG in the early rounds. It may be the coaching staff doesn’t see OG as a pressing need. We’ll find out soon enough.

Great OL writeup as always.  The other part about Dielman worth noting - DEN tried to claim him off waivers earlier in 2017 but CIN had the higher claim.   This was their 2nd attempt to get him.   So this suggests they do think he’s a target more than just a warm body.  Worth tracking.  I can see why they didn’t target C if they thought he might crack the 53-man squad.    We do need to have a 2019 option if Paradis isn’t worth re-signing at FA prices.  

I still have concerns about our Oline, wish Elway had selected more tha Sam Jones who really has a huge learning curve ahead. I would have loved a T to replace Watson (and open up his salary) as I don’t see a long term future for Veldeer here.

12 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

I still have concerns about our Oline, wish Elway had selected more tha Sam Jones who really has a huge learning curve ahead. I would have loved a T to replace Watson (and open up his salary) as I don’t see a long term future for Veldeer here.

Let me get back to you on OT's. I don't think we're as weak there as we think. IMO, Watson will struggle to make the team.

4 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

You know there is a good amount of cap space left from the CJ cuts and such...and Elway always makes a few key free agent signings post draft and initial free agency wave.  I am actually anticipating that Elway either picks up a few linemen via signing, but also through trade...which he has been doing more of.  The off season aint over yet.  

2 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

You know there is a good amount of cap space left from the CJ cuts and such...and Elway always makes a few key free agent signings post draft and initial free agency wave.  I am actually anticipating that Elway either picks up a few linemen via signing, but also through trade...which he has been doing more of.  The off season aint over yet.  

Ok,so I'm  gonna make a list of players you tell me if they make the team.

Watson

Garcia

Stewart

Gotsis

Turner

Dielman

Janovich

Henderson 

Mckenzie

6 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Do we ? I think we are looking to use CJ's money to pay for our draft class ....and I can't see a lot of good OLinemen  on the market, been picked over pretty good so far. Trades are available,  like that idea

5 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Do we ? I think we are looking to use CJ's money to pay for our draft class ....and I can't see a lot of good OLinemen  on the market, been picked over pretty good so far. Trades are available,  like that idea

Do we make a run at erik flowers hes still so young.

13 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I also do not think that we really have much cap space but a trade may happen.  I loved the draft until the fifth round and  I'm telling myself that the coaches and gm believe that our OL is in good enough shape.  I view the lack of OL and QB pix as a sign that we are good with what we have - an endorsement so to speak.   Also, with regard to the guys drafted after the fifth I do like Bierria.  I have to say that I really feel we can contend for our division this year - that's how stoked I am.  I am hoping it isn't as easy as KC thinks it will be and the front runners have to be the Chargers but hey I actually think they should have been a playoff team the last two years and they always seem to find a way to blow it so maybe they will again.  I think the Raiders will finish last in our division!    

23 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I also do not think that we really have much cap space but a trade may happen.  I loved the draft until the fifth round and  I'm telling myself that the coaches and gm believe that our OL is in good enough shape.  I view the lack of OL and QB pix as a sign that we are good with what we have - an endorsement so to speak.   Also, with regard to the guys drafted after the fifth I do like Bierria.  I have to say that I really feel we can contend for our division this year - that's how stoked I am.  I am hoping it isn't as easy as KC thinks it will be and the front runners have to be the Chargers but hey I actually think they should have been a playoff team the last two years and they always seem to find a way to blow it so maybe they will again.  I think the Raiders will finish last in our division!    

I don't think we are contenders yet.  Not until we get a new head coach.  But, I do like that Elway is putting some talent on the field, which will attract a quality coach to the job.  A HC, and a few missing pieces along the OL and then I think we compete for titles again.  And, I am okay with this strategy.

Archived