2018 POST DRAFT PLAYER AND ROSTER ANALYSIS

AKRNA

40 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Good article and fair summary too.  The best orgs use all the tools.  Old school analysis, film breakdown. and new age analytics can actually coexist.   Ignoring one or the other is dumb.   SMH at Gettleman for being so dismissive.   And kudos to Elway for seeing every tool should be used.  New age analytics shouldn’t replace old school methods. But they shouldn’t be ignored either.  Using both offers a broader and more nuanced analysis.   And can balance the risk of mistakes when using just one method .  

Judging by the results off 1 year is too soon (and 2 years too early to know the true yield) but Elway & Kubiak’s process changes are what encourage me the most.   Fixing the process doesn’t mean the results will always be there.   But it’s way more likely we will hit than miss.   

The line from the Ringer that I love:

The thing to remember is that no one path is right

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm curious if any of you have watched Jewell much? I finally got to watch some of him and was very impressed.

Things that stuck out: very sure, technically sound tackler. You don't get away from him.

Great lateral quickness and short area burst. He won't win a 40 but he doesn't have to.  Excellent play recognition, never takes a bad step.

Anyway, seems we got a steal but I'd sure like other opinions.

20 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So, I'm curious if any of you have watched Jewell much? I finally got to watch some of him and was very impressed.

Things that stuck out: very sure, technically sound tackler. You don't get away from him.

Great lateral quickness and short area burst. He won't win a 40 but he doesn't have to.  Excellent play recognition, never takes a bad step.

I’d agree on the steal.  It’s an A+ pick in my book.

Jewell does come with concerns, though.  A bit undersized which bring up questions taking on blocks.  Doesn’t “lay the wood” and is more of just a sure tackler.  While his college stats indicate an elite cover LB, he’s an average athlete whom you probably don’t want consistently matching up with RBs and TEs.  Also isn’t much of a blitzer.

Between the tackles though, in terms of instincts and read/react, as good as there was in the past draft.  He’ll make his living between the tackles stopping the run.  He’ll be a fan favorite in Denver.  But I don’t think he’s a pro bowl caliber LB, but maybe he surprises.  I’ve seen Sean Lee comparisons, which aren’t bad, but Lee was the more explosive player.  I think a poor mans Sean Lee is what we’re looking at, which I’ll take in round 4 all day long.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I’d agree on the steal.  It’s an A+ pick in my book.

Jewell does come with concerns, though.  A bit undersized which bring up questions taking on blocks.  Doesn’t “lay the wood” and is more of just a sure tackler.  While his college stats indicate an elite cover LB, he’s an average athlete whom you probably don’t want consistently matching up with RBs and TEs.  Also isn’t much of a blitzer.

Between the tackles though, in terms of instincts and read/react, as good as there was in the past draft.  He’ll make his living between the tackles stopping the run.  He’ll be a fan favorite in Denver.  But I don’t think he’s a pro bowl caliber LB, but maybe he surprises.  I’ve seen Sean Lee comparisons, which aren’t bad, but Lee was the more explosive player.  I think a poor mans Sean Lee is what we’re looking at, which I’ll take in round 4 all day long.

He just always seems to take the right first step. Instinct, film study, whatever it is it's a great asset for an ILB. Playing a short zone I think he'll be fine. He gets to his spot fast.

Anyway, glad I'm not the only one.

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

He just always seems to take the right first step. Instinct, film study, whatever it is it's a great asset for an ILB. Playing a short zone I think he'll be fine. He gets to his spot fast.

Anyway, glad I'm not the only one.

Plus, isnt that why the Broncos went out and traded for Cravens to take on the RBs and TEs?  

Before Incognito's freakout, I would've picked him up to compete at RG for a year. I don't know if McGovern can handle it yet. Our whole OL plan right now revolves around him being at least serviceable.

Also, as long as Shane Ray stays healthy, I can see him having a good year for 8-10 sacks. The best Pass Rush Package I think we could have is the following setup.

Ray-Wolfe-Chubb-Miller.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:08 PM, AKRNA said:

I'm a big Hawkeye fan so I'm gonna speak highly of the outlaw.

Daniel Jeremiah asked big ten players at the combine who was the best player they faced. Josey Jewell was the most common answer. 

People say he is not athletic. That is incorrect. He ran a poor 40(I believe he did false start at combine and he did run a 4.68 at Iowa's pro day). He doesn't have crazy straight line speed but he did put up some good combine numbers.

6.80 3 cone( I believe 2nd best lb time)

33" vertical. Honestly all his other numbers were right in line with the sweet spot of the LB group.

Dude is a film room guy. He is always in position. His instincts are elite. Good locker room guy. He just is always in the right place. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and uses negative criticism to motivate him. Guy fly's all over the field and is always where the play is.

He also comes from a program that makes solid nfl players. He got the right tutelage at Iowa. This was an outright bank robbery.  He'll play meaningful minutes in the league for a decade(barring injuries). Plug and play guy.

For those who worry about his speed. Desmond King, another well coached Iowa defensive guy, dropped to a 5th rounder in the 2017 draft. Too slow they said. His rookie stats as I believe a non starter

76 tackles 4 sacks 1 INT(90yd pick six) 4 pass defenses. He also returned kicks.

Think Zach Thomas. With you're defensive line, he will do very well. Other criticism of Jewell is how he would cover in pass protection. He was actually pretty darn good at Iowa. Interrupted a lot of passing lanes and did pick off a decent amount of passes.

You'll hear his name a lot. He is always there where the play develops. Elite instincts.

1 hour ago, Hawkeyejam said:

I'm a big Hawkeye fan so I'm gonna speak highly of the outlaw.

Daniel Jeremiah asked big ten players at the combine who was the best player they faced. Josey Jewell was the most common answer. 

People say he is not athletic. That is incorrect. He ran a poor 40(I believe he did false start at combine and he did run a 4.68 at Iowa's pro day). He doesn't have crazy straight line speed but he did put up some good combine numbers.

6.80 3 cone( I believe 2nd best lb time)

33" vertical. Honestly all his other numbers were right in line with the sweet spot of the LB group.

Dude is a film room guy. He is always in position. His instincts are elite. Good locker room guy. He just is always in the right place. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and uses negative criticism to motivate him. Guy fly's all over the field and is always where the play is.

He also comes from a program that makes solid nfl players. He got the right tutelage at Iowa. This was an outright bank robbery.  He'll play meaningful minutes in the league for a decade(barring injuries). Plug and play guy.

For those who worry about his speed. Desmond King, another well coached Iowa defensive guy, dropped to a 5th rounder in the 2017 draft. Too slow they said. His rookie stats as I believe a non starter

76 tackles 4 sacks 1 INT(90yd pick six) 4 pass defenses. He also returned kicks.

Think Zach Thomas. With you're defensive line, he will do very well. Other criticism of Jewell is how he would cover in pass protection. He was actually pretty darn good at Iowa. Interrupted a lot of passing lanes and did pick off a decent amount of passes.

You'll hear his name a lot. He is always there where the play develops. Elite instincts.

Thx for the Hawkeye perspective.  Like you noted both Jewell and King lack straight line speed.  But they are both great at short area quickness (King 6.67 3-cone was nuts).   It’s a big reason why King was a dominant rookie slot CB.    It’s also why I (and many) believe Jewell should be fine as an ILB in our 3-4 while he remains in his peak athletic years.    If teams can isolate a home run threat TE / RB on a seam / wheel he is vulnerable.   But his ability to sniff out screens / hitch / quick hitters is where he should play up in coverage because if his instincts / recognition combined with short area skills.    That will be a welcome change from our current ILB’s (where Marshall’s injuries have robbed him of the agility he had in 2014-15 & Davis was just a total liability).   

Agree his instincts are through the roof.  That’s what should let him succeed - so long as he doesn’t lose any of that baseline quickness.     Still stoked Elway was patient enough to get him at 4.106.   Hindsight is 20-20 but if we knew we’d get Jewell I have to wonder if Elway would have committed to Davis for the FA deal given our cap woes.  But I get you can’t bank on the May draft in March so...oh well.  

On 4/30/2018 at 2:24 PM, Broncofan said:

It's fair to say the internet is not the best method to get into such a discussion as complex as this - your point that it's hard to get all the points across, totally good there.   I'd only point out it's hard to say those statements about Lamar, DT, Young, in a vacuum.  Lamar's mom may have made the wrong decision to think she could represent him (ok, she definitely made the wrong decision lol) - but she's also parented him to the point he got this far, too.     So it's not hard to see guys with single moms be loyal.   

And to be fair, we don't win SB50 without DT, he was nails in that playoff run.   And he's been our most reliable WR since that extension.  He may no longer be worth the salary now, but that doesn't eliminate the greatness he's given us.    It's frustrating because he's dropped balls, but that comes with the territory - he's gotten a huge bad rap for being soft, when he's played every game, every season (sure he goes to the sidelines for some plays, but playing every game every season, that's an ironman feat that removes all doubt that he's not giving 100 percent each week).    Blaming his problems on his mom, that's overly reductionist - if anything, the wear and tear on his body is more to blame (as it's robbed him of that elite explosiveness and YAC home run ability he used to have).

If anything, drafting Sutton preserves DT's career a bit...the Broncos will get a few more good years out of him, and I predict that he will be solid, especially in a mentor role where he will also contribute...2-4 catches a game, and a few games where he dominates.  I kind of think the same for Sanders.  I liked the move of getting Sutton and Hamilton..our current WR corp is just getting older.  But, they can still play.  

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Anyone have thoughts on the move to hire sam hinke? Did elway go full analytics?

He was brought in to consult, not work full-time (Jhabvala full story behind paysite FWIW).   So it’s a step towards using more analytics - which is a great idea.   But I doubt it’s anything more than adding to the arsenal, which he alluded to post-draft.  

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

He was brought in to consult, not work full-time (Jhabvala full story behind paysite FWIW).   So it’s a step towards using more analytics - which is a great idea.   But I doubt it’s anything more than adding to the arsenal, which he alluded to post-draft.  

It really is two totally different sports though. Nba is top heavy nfl there's talent too be had at least the first 2 rounds.

With the baby and all it has taken me a little longer than usual to watch 2 games of each player selected.  I’ll post my thoughts and grades on every pick when finished.  Just finished Yiadom so still have a ways to go.  Just going to say, I really like Yiadom.  Doesn’t allow a lot of separation and very physical for a CB.

Archived