Grade Your Draft

RaidersAreOne

Redskins

Payne I would give him a B plus I would have gone after Derwin James

Guice A plus could be the steal of the draft

3rd round I would have gone after Maurice Hurst instead of an outside o lineman. I like our tackles we do need a back up after last year injuries but would have gone for one in the 4th round. However we do suck in the running game.

The Steelers draft was underwhelming.  Cannot remember a year when so many fans were resigned to silence after the draft.

1)  Terrell Edmunds S -  B 

Given our need at safety and the overall theme of getting versatile, athletic players who are good tacklers with good character, it makes sense.  Also has NFL bloolines as his dad was a Pro-Bowl TE and obviously his brother comes into the NFL with high expectations.  Was he take too early?  We'll never know if he makes it to #60, but I think he fits well in our defense as a 3rd safety, Day 1.

2)  James Washington WR - B

Having just traded Martavis Bryant, we were in the market for a deep threat.  Washington, while not clocked at blazing speed was an effective, productive deep threat for Oklahoma St.  While not a prototypical WR body, he has ridiculously long arms and is known for making contested catches.  Given the Steelers FO's track record with WRs, he might be a special #3 in a year or two. 

3)  Mason Rudolph QB - B+  

Not a high grade because we necessarily needed a QB for 2018 but because he represents good value in the middle of the 3rd round.  I like the fact that he continued to get better every year in college and was highly productive.  Will he be the successor to Big Ben?  Who knows.  But the potential is there.  Wake-up call for Landry Jones to keep his #2 spot.  The Josh Dobbs experiment is now suspended indefinitely.

4)  Chuks Okarofor OT - D

Steelers drafted on OT project when the need for ILB and OLB was much greater.  Biggest head scratcher in our draft.  MAYBE he ends up being a good swing tackle.  No idea.  But this is the worst pick of the draft imo.

5)  Marcus Allen S - B

Big, pure box safety at 6'2 215.  Great against the run, not so much a great coverage player.  What we really needed was playmaking centerfielder, but some have suggested that he will put on 10 - 15 lbs. and transition to ILB.  MIght work.

6)  Jaylen Samuels RB/HB/FB/TE - A

Versatile player who can do it all.  Was ultra productive in NC State's offense playing everywhere, even throwing TDs.  He's got Le'veon Bell-like talent in the sense that he is just a great football player that can run the ball, block, and perform well in the passing game too.  He might end up being a huge steal when all is said and done.

7)  Joshua Frazier DT - B- 

Some think we could have gotten him as an UDFA given that Alabama's former DLine coach is now our DLine coach in Karl Dunbar.  I trust with his insider knowledge that Frazier has some good potential.  He was crowded out, to some degree, in a talented DLine rotation there in Bama.  Dunbar made a tounge-in-cheek comparison between Frazier and Jefferson from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, for those of you who are old enough to remember that.  He fills an important need as backup NT behind Javon Hargrave, likely knocking Daniel McCullers off the roster.

Overall I give it a C+.  A few nice adds, but nothing to do backflips over.  Hoping and trusting the FO knows more than the average fan here.  

B-

3.68:  S Justin Reid-  Straight steal.  I wanted an OL'man but Reid was too good to pass on.  Should be a 10 year starter at S for us.

3.80: OT/OG/C Martinas Rankin- Liked the pick.  I want to see where on the OL he will play.  If he ends up at RT or LT hopefully we have a fixture there.  Worst case he ends up at guard or C Like his versatility.

3.98: TE Jordan Akins- This was a reach but he fills a need. Our tight end core is so bad that he could be slated as a starter week 1. 

4.103: WR Keke Coutee- I liked Coutee coming out of Texas Tech.  Braxton Miller hasn't panned out at WR and Bruce Ellington is one a one year deal.  I hope Coutee makes an impact in the return game and give Watson another weapon.

6.177: DE Duke Ejiofor- If it wasn't for his injury he would have gone a round or 2 earlier so cant get mad at the value.  Hopefully he provides depth at OLB (Texans listed him as an OLB).

6.211: TE Jordan Thomas- Not a pass catching tight end so he will be used a blocker. Our current tight end core cant not block.

6.214: OLB Pete Kalambayi- Like Ejiofor, he could compete for the backup spot at OLB behind Clowney and Mercilus

7.222: CB Jermaine Kelly-  Most likely cut or a PS candidate.  I really wished we picked Holton Hill instead.

For the Chargers:

1st: Derwin James S, FSU......A+

Might legitimately be the best value in the draft.  S has been a devalued position, but this is the kind of guy that can succeed pretty much anywhere.  He can play single high, he can shut TE's/RB's/Slot WR's down in man coverage, and flies up in run support to make big plays.  He was among the top 5 players in the draft, and fell to 17.  Gus Bradley is going to have a REALLY fun time using him in a lot of different roles.

2nd: Uchenna Nwosu LB, USC......B+

You watch him and you can see just how athletic he is.  He's a perfect fit for the Bruce Irvin LB role that has him split time as an off ball LB and an EDGE defender.  He's also got the potential to be a 3rd edge rusher in pass rushing packages, but he's got some developing to do.  What stood out to me when watching him is just how fluid he is moving around the field.  He effortlessly matches up vs TE's and drops into zone, but even more importantly for a Sam LB, he flows to the ball and weaves between blockers, and shows the burst to put his foot in the ground and close on RB's when he finds a gap to shoot.  He's got some developing to do with his hands, but when he flashes good handwork, it's REALLY good.

3rd: Justin Jones DT, NC State.......B-

This one I'm less psyched on, but the guy is really interesting.  He was not nearly the best DL on that team, but he consistently got double teamed in both pass pro and vs the run.  Maybe it's just the nature of the team.  But he's another guy who needs development, but when he flashes, he REALLY flashes.  He shows the ability to get upfield and penetrate, which is really important to the scheme even at the NT spot.  He's in a good spot to develop under Mebane/Liuget and then take over (hopefully the NT spot) next year or the year after.

4th: Kyzir White OLB, WVU.......A-

This is a kid that I'm very high on.  After watching a lot of him, his game is scary similar to Su'a Cravens, and the measureables are there to match (almost identical (within .03 seconds for every timed drill, within 1" on Broad jump, only difference is that White's vertical was 6" higher than Cravens, albeit Cravens did this at 5ish lbs heavier).  If they didn't take completely opposite paths to college (Cravens was a 5* recruit, to USC, White went to a JUCO and was not super highly recruited and ended up at WVU), I would have tagged them as the same exact player.  He will play the Will LB spot for us and be a run and chase LB, which is absolutely perfect for his instincts, athleticism and physicality.

5th: Scott Quessenberry C/G,  UCLA......B

Just an ok pick, but I like the player and he seems to fit the scheme pretty well.  I really like his ability to get out and block in space, which is something we feature in our offense on a consistent basis from the C position.  He can play C or G, and will likely be a backup day 1, and then potentially develop into the starter after Pouncey is gone.  He also provides much needed depth behind an injury prone Pouncey.

6th: Dylan Cantrell WR/TE, Texas Tech........B

Another pick I'm just ok with.  He'll be our 5th WR, but he's got some really good athletic traits and can go get the ball.  That said, he's never really put up any sort of impressive production.  He's a great blocker and does the small things well, but I don't see him featured in our offense.  What could be interesting is if we put him in more of a jumbo slot/receiving TE role where he can kind of be an H Back/Slot/TE/WR and move him around, so that's more of his value.

7th: Justin Jackson RB, Northwestern.......B+

I really like him as a complimentary back.  He's slippery as a runner and can catch and block really well.  He's really got some interesting wiggle and has the ability to make people miss in space.

Overall, this class was full of 2-3 picks that I REALLY liked, and no picks that I didn't like at all.  Just a bunch of guys who I'm sure could be contributors paired with 1 player who is flat out elite, and 2-3 guys who I think can be real impact players either now or down the road.  It's a lot of what we needed, and we hit all 3 major needs IMO.  Hard to complain about a draft like that.

1 hour ago, Duffman57 said:

For the Chargers:

1st: Derwin James S, FSU......A+

Might legitimately be the best value in the draft.  S has been a devalued position, but this is the kind of guy that can succeed pretty much anywhere.  He can play single high, he can shut TE's/RB's/Slot WR's down in man coverage, and flies up in run support to make big plays.  He was among the top 5 players in the draft, and fell to 17.  Gus Bradley is going to have a REALLY fun time using him in a lot of different roles.

2nd: Uchenna Nwosu LB, USC......B+

You watch him and you can see just how athletic he is.  He's a perfect fit for the Bruce Irvin LB role that has him split time as an off ball LB and an EDGE defender.  He's also got the potential to be a 3rd edge rusher in pass rushing packages, but he's got some developing to do.  What stood out to me when watching him is just how fluid he is moving around the field.  He effortlessly matches up vs TE's and drops into zone, but even more importantly for a Sam LB, he flows to the ball and weaves between blockers, and shows the burst to put his foot in the ground and close on RB's when he finds a gap to shoot.  He's got some developing to do with his hands, but when he flashes good handwork, it's REALLY good.

3rd: Justin Jones DT, NC State.......B-

This one I'm less psyched on, but the guy is really interesting.  He was not nearly the best DL on that team, but he consistently got double teamed in both pass pro and vs the run.  Maybe it's just the nature of the team.  But he's another guy who needs development, but when he flashes, he REALLY flashes.  He shows the ability to get upfield and penetrate, which is really important to the scheme even at the NT spot.  He's in a good spot to develop under Mebane/Liuget and then take over (hopefully the NT spot) next year or the year after.

4th: Kyzir White OLB, WVU.......A-

This is a kid that I'm very high on.  After watching a lot of him, his game is scary similar to Su'a Cravens, and the measureables are there to match (almost identical (within .03 seconds for every timed drill, within 1" on Broad jump, only difference is that White's vertical was 6" higher than Cravens, albeit Cravens did this at 5ish lbs heavier).  If they didn't take completely opposite paths to college (Cravens was a 5* recruit, to USC, White went to a JUCO and was not super highly recruited and ended up at WVU), I would have tagged them as the same exact player.  He will play the Will LB spot for us and be a run and chase LB, which is absolutely perfect for his instincts, athleticism and physicality.

5th: Scott Quessenberry C/G,  UCLA......B

Just an ok pick, but I like the player and he seems to fit the scheme pretty well.  I really like his ability to get out and block in space, which is something we feature in our offense on a consistent basis from the C position.  He can play C or G, and will likely be a backup day 1, and then potentially develop into the starter after Pouncey is gone.  He also provides much needed depth behind an injury prone Pouncey.

6th: Dylan Cantrell WR/TE, Texas Tech........B

Another pick I'm just ok with.  He'll be our 5th WR, but he's got some really good athletic traits and can go get the ball.  That said, he's never really put up any sort of impressive production.  He's a great blocker and does the small things well, but I don't see him featured in our offense.  What could be interesting is if we put him in more of a jumbo slot/receiving TE role where he can kind of be an H Back/Slot/TE/WR and move him around, so that's more of his value.

7th: Justin Jackson RB, Northwestern.......B+

I really like him as a complimentary back.  He's slippery as a runner and can catch and block really well.  He's really got some interesting wiggle and has the ability to make people miss in space.

Overall, this class was full of 2-3 picks that I REALLY liked, and no picks that I didn't like at all.  Just a bunch of guys who I'm sure could be contributors paired with 1 player who is flat out elite, and 2-3 guys who I think can be real impact players either now or down the road.  It's a lot of what we needed, and we hit all 3 major needs IMO.  Hard to complain about a draft like that.

James obviously was a an A+ pick.   

Nwosu needs to get better at recognition, he's often taking the wrong first step, but yeah, his athleticism and handwork is undeniable.  He carried that D vs. OSU, I was really impressed, watching more tape, confirmed the above.   The only area he's not great at is coverage, because of those read/instinct issues.

White though removes Nwosu's big weakness.   THAT was a lynchpin draft move, because it basically allowed Nwosu to do what he does well, and White will ensure Nwosu won't be exposed in pass coverage (until his read/instincts improve, which could happen, but not year 1, and I'd guess may like our ILB's were last year.

Quessenberry is just OK, like you said, because his power deficiencies limit his ceiling.  Thing is, your C is your weakest spot (eventually you'll need to address RT, but it's not OMG terrible), and he could still upgrade that now. 

Jones & Cantrell I'm more down on.    Like you said, Cantrell just doesn't look like he'll offer much.  Re: Jones,  I would have gone Hurst if you wanted a push inside, and Nnadi/Settle if you were thinking more run-stuffer.   Truthfully, that was the one pick I'd redo in a heartbeat, given who was there.

Still, Telesco's been on a great 2-year run, it doesn't look any different this year.   James falling to you was a gift, and I loved White - he's my version of the 2017 Desmond King pick.   You take any of the other guys than Jones Rd3, I think it's an A draft.  It's still a really strong one (B+, you have to be amazing to get A’s IMO), and with your current roster strength, does nothing to change your team's outlook as top dog in the AFCW for the immediate year and 2019-20.   Tip my cap to Telesco.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

James obviously was a an A+ pick.   

Nwosu needs to get better at recognition, he's often taking the wrong first step, but yeah, his athleticism and handwork is undeniable.  He carried that D vs. OSU, I was really impressed, watching more tape, confirmed the above.   The only area he's not great at is coverage, because of those read/instinct issues.

White though removes Nwosu's big weakness.   THAT was a lynchpin draft move, because it basically allowed Nwosu to do what he does well, and White will ensure Nwosu won't be exposed in pass coverage (until his read/instincts improve, which could happen, but not year 1, and I'd guess may like our ILB's were last year.

Quessenberry is just OK, like you said, because his power deficiencies limit his ceiling.  Thing is, your C is your weakest spot (eventually you'll need to address RT, but it's not OMG terrible), and he could still upgrade that now. 

Jones & Cantrell I'm more down on.    Like you said, Cantrell just doesn't look like he'll offer much.  Re: Jones,  I would have gone Hurst if you wanted a push inside, and Nnadi/Settle if you were thinking more run-stuffer.   Truthfully, that was the one pick I'd redo in a heartbeat, given who was there.

Still, Telesco's been on a great 2-year run, it doesn't look any different this year.   James falling to you was a gift, and I loved White - he's my version of the 2017 Desmond King pick.   You take any of the other guys than Jones Rd3, I think it's an A draft.  It's still a really strong one (B+, you have to be amazing to get A’s IMO), and with your current roster strength, does nothing to change your team's outlook as top dog in the AFCW for the immediate year and 2019-20.   Tip my cap to Telesco.

I went into watching the tape, assuming that Nwosu was going to be an awful coverage guy since he's essentially a standup DE, but he really shocked me.  His coverage skills are very good.  Gets really good depth and has pretty good rout recognition.  You see his easy athleticism when he's out there in space.  The other underrated thing he does is get into passing lanes, guy knocks down 1-2 passes a game.  One thing to take note of, is that he committed to USC as a 185lb S, and just outgrew the position.  He's got a LOT of range in coverage, which was really impressive to see.  While I don't expect him to do it a ton, it's nice to have that ability since he'll be playing over TE's a lot.  I don't think his instincts are as bad as you say, but they're definitely still a work in progress when he's off the ball.  I think they're pretty good in terms of how to attack blockers, and when to shoot gaps/try to make plays.

We took Jones and it's all about the potential, and how he flashes.  Both our starters at DT are set.  He'll help quell the loss of Liuget early, but with Liuget's new contract, he's being paid about the right amount and he's a somewhat solid starter. Mebane is good, but he can't be playing 51% of our snaps like he did last year.  That's really where Jones will come in.  It's probably a 30-20 split between Mebane-Jones.  He's got a lot of potential.  As much as I like Settle, there's obviously something there, the guy didn't go until the 6th, I'm a huge believer that you can reach in the draft, but with guys who fall, theres a reason, because that mean every single team has passed on them a couple of times.  Nnadi wasn't available, he was taken like 10 picks earlier.  I think Jones was a little bit of a reach, but there was a big run on DT's and the report is (from KP, who has a VERY inside source, and has been 100% right predicting stuff as of late) that they had Jones rated over Nnadi because they need someone who can penetrate there.  Hurst was completely off their board because of medicals, I'm not sure their doctor would clear him.  I think we went Jones because we believe in his ability to contribute now, but also develop into a starting NT long term while learning other our vets.

But overall, they are going to have a LOT of really fun players to move around and get matchups they like on this D.  They can play James at FS, SS, OLB, Slot etc.  They can play White at any of those positions, they can play Nwosu at either Otto or LEO.  It will be a LOT of fun to watch these guys together next year.

9 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

I went into watching the tape, assuming that Nwosu was going to be an awful coverage guy since he's essentially a standup DE, but he really shocked me.  His coverage skills are very good.  Gets really good depth and has pretty good rout recognition.  You see his easy athleticism when he's out there in space.  The other underrated thing he does is get into passing lanes, guy knocks down 1-2 passes a game.  One thing to take note of, is that he committed to USC as a 185lb S, and just outgrew the position.  He's got a LOT of range in coverage, which was really impressive to see.  While I don't expect him to do it a ton, it's nice to have that ability since he'll be playing over TE's a lot.  I don't think his instincts are as bad as you say, but they're definitely still a work in progress when he's off the ball.  I think they're pretty good in terms of how to attack blockers, and when to shoot gaps/try to make plays.

We took Jones and it's all about the potential, and how he flashes.  Both our starters at DT are set.  He'll help quell the loss of Liuget early, but with Liuget's new contract, he's being paid about the right amount and he's a somewhat solid starter. Mebane is good, but he can't be playing 51% of our snaps like he did last year.  That's really where Jones will come in.  It's probably a 30-20 split between Mebane-Jones.  He's got a lot of potential.  As much as I like Settle, there's obviously something there, the guy didn't go until the 6th, I'm a huge believer that you can reach in the draft, but with guys who fall, theres a reason, because that mean every single team has passed on them a couple of times.  Nnadi wasn't available, he was taken like 10 picks earlier.  I think Jones was a little bit of a reach, but there was a big run on DT's and the report is (from KP, who has a VERY inside source, and has been 100% right predicting stuff as of late) that they had Jones rated over Nnadi because they need someone who can penetrate there.  Hurst was completely off their board because of medicals, I'm not sure their doctor would clear him.  I think we went Jones because we believe in his ability to contribute now, but also develop into a starting NT long term while learning other our vets.

But overall, they are going to have a LOT of really fun players to move around and get matchups they like on this D.  They can play James at FS, SS, OLB, Slot etc.  They can play White at any of those positions, they can play Nwosu at either Otto or LEO.  It will be a LOT of fun to watch these guys together next year.

I really like Nwosu's athletic skills - and not just from the Combine, what he shows on the field.    He often does take the wrong first step, though, but his athleticism gets him back there.  In the NFL, though, he won't get that chance.   The same came when he had to actually cover guys - zone dropbacks, he did fine with, but he tends to hit one direction hard, and when he's wrong, he's way out of position.  That's what he will have to work out.

Still, it's not like he isn't learning, and it's not like those are damning weaknesses.  They're not.   He was a monster in the Bowl game vs. OSU.   He really impressed me, I was like "where has this been".  Maybe the light's come on.  If so, then it's an amazing pick.  If not, well, he's got time to learn.    

Re: Nnosu, ah right, knew there was a reason why LAC didn't take him.  The post-Infinity Wars daze I was in still had me at less than peak attention on Day 2 lol.

alphabets-dancing-886553.gif

EDIT - I'm just really hyped about it. Alexander (while getting a future 1st) and Jackson are two ballhawking, playmaking type DBs that we've been missing since Tramon Williams fell off a cliff with us (now he's back lol) and Sam Shields scrambled his brain one too many times. Oren Burks gives us speed that we severely lacked in the middle of the field. He likely won't contribute more than special teams and pass coverage early in his career but he's only scratching his surface. Love J'Mon Moore. He's James Jones on steroids. Cole Madison will start for us at some point in 2018, I'm fairly certain. Once he does, though, he won't relinquish that spot for years. A punter in the 5th is what is is but JK Scott was a gamechanger at Bama. Flipped the field and pinned opposition down routinely. He'll give Vogel a run for his money. Marques Valdez-Scantling is a toolshed but has some real big flaws IMO. I hate that he's a body catcher (hope we can coach that out of him) and I hate that he doesn't play up to his 4.37 40 speed. Potential is there but he may never be an NFL player. EQ St. Brown will, in the end, be the steal of the draft. I would not be surprised if he has an immediate deep ball impact for us. Drafting a long snapper is what is it is but we needed a long term one since we've been going back and forth on Brett Goode for a decade lol. Kendall Donnerson is a very interesting EDGE prospect late. May never be anything but it's not every day you find 250 lbs dudes that can run a 4.45 40.

I don't like handing out grades this soon after the draft, but here's my pick-by-pick breakdown:

• 1(3) QB Sam Darnold - obviously the entire draft hinges on his ability to develop into a franchise quarterback, but it's hard not to be on cloud 9 as a Jets fan. I personally liked Rosen more, but I understand that Darnold is the more ideal QB for our situation.  
  • 3(72) DL Nathan Shepherd - I think the Jets found a good one here. Yes, he's on the older side (24) but he has great character and is just scratching the surface of what he's capable of. Seems like an intelligent player who is a fast learner and should improve as he goes up against stronger competition in the NFL, evidenced by how much he improved at the senior bowl prior to getting hurt... although he's considered "raw", I can see him getting up to speed quickly and making an impact from day 1. Just listening to his interviews, he gives me a very Damon Harrison-like vibe in that he's going to work tirelessly to perfect his craft, and with his athleticism, that could lead to becoming a terrific player. 
  • 4(107) TE Chris Herndon - like the talent and he could very well become a good starter one day, but I think the Jets missed an opportunity to land a fine player in Dorance Armstrong or Josh Sweat... with the improvements made on the DL and in the secondary, adding a situational edge rusher with their kind of talent would've been ideal.
  • 6(179) CB Parry Nickerson - Solid pick this late. I get the draft and analytics community liked him a lot, but I can't see him magically developing into a top tier coverage corner. He was really good at man in college and has some core strength, but I don't seem him being a guy that will excel either outside or inside because he doesn't have the body required in today's NFL. Instead, I look for him to be a playmaker on special teams, especially as a gunner, and a situational blitzer/zone guy in dime packages. 
  • 6(180) DL Foley Fatukasi - The Jets sound to be high on him. When you get this late in the draft, you have to take players that do one thing very well and go from there. Fatukasi was a very stable run blocker in college and the Jets seem to believe he has the athleticism to develop as a pass rusher, so this could end up being a steal for them. 
  • 6(204) RB/KR Trenton Cannon - Somewhat of a throw away pick, but the Jets are hoping he can be a KR/PR. My guess is he'll be a PS guy for the next year or so. 
  • ***7(235) TRADED FOR DE HENRY ANDERSON*** - probably the most underrated move of the draft. He's had an injury-riddled career, but the Jets training staff is one of the tops in the league at coming up with a plan to keep injury prone players healthy. For the most part his play has been positive when on the field, and that alone is worth the 7th round pick. 

OVERALL: Positive. I think we missed some opportunities by not prioritizing EDGE and I feel like the theme of this draft was "play it safe", but that's not such a bad thing for a team with talent deficiencies like the Jets had. 

Archived