Grade Your Draft

RaidersAreOne

50 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Wasn't the guy he replaced a Pro Bowl level player as a rookie?

That was a bad pick. 

Pro bowl alternate  as a punter. Pro bowl is a joke especially for a position like punter so it doesn't matter. Vogel was below average ranking 23 in yards per punt and I believe 26 in punts inside the 20 (I know it was outside the top 20). Frankly he was below average. 

I'm no fan of a punter but your reasoning isn't sound. 

6 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Pro bowl alternate  as a punter. Pro bowl is a joke especially for a position like punter so it doesn't matter. Vogel was below average ranking 23 in yards per punt and I believe 26 in punts inside the 20 (I know it was outside the top 20). Frankly he was below average. 

I'm no fan of a punter but your reasoning isn't sound. 

The punts inside the 20 can be explained by such an inept offense though. Hundley was awful.

The Pro bowl is a joke, but having the title of "pro-bowler" is still relevant.

So i have a system setup that keeps me from cheating and using bias just because i love a player doesn't mean it was the best pick for us imo.   I grade it on a point system with value and need.  If it hits a need i give it  4  a non need i give it a 3   It can be higher or lower based on value.  If they are supposed to go sooner than we picked by a round you get a extra point if we reach for a player by a round you lose a point.  If it's 2 or more rounds you lose 2 points.   The 1st round i break up into 1/3's  top 10 player top 20 player and 21 to 32. 

If the grade avg's out to a 4.0 to 5 i give it an A- to A+   2.5 to 3.9 B- to B+    1.5 to 2.4   C- to C+   Anything under a 1.5  is an F and a failed draft.

I use Mike Mayocks rounds and grades for the most part on players because i respect him more than almost anyone for the draft.   As far as Falcons needs i have them before the draft as  DT, WR, RB, TE, LB, and OG.   So with that said on to the picks and values.

1) Calvin Ridley -   Hits a need so 4 already  Mayock had him as the 26th/27th player and we got him 26th.  So would consider this even value.  Stays 4.

2) Isahia Oliver/CB - This was not a need so it gets a 3 but Mayock and most other analysts had him as a 1st round guy at 32/33 So +1 value bringing him to a 4.

3) Deadrin Senat/DT - This is a need so thats a 4 Mayock has him as the 98th player on his board we took him at 90 both are 3rd round values.  So it stays a 4.

4) Ito Smith/RB -  Hit's a need  gets a 4  Mayock didn't have him ranked So have to go to other sites.  Went to 2 or 3 other sites and all had him late 5th early 6th. So he loses a point to a 3.

6 - Russell Gage/WR - Hit's a need as a WR and ST Ace.  So gets a 4 Mayock has him as the 99th best player so thats round 3 value he gets a point bringing him as the only 5 in the draft.

6 - Foyesade Oluokun/LB - Hit's a need at LB thats a 4 Mayock doesn't have him listed other sites say late 6th to early 7th rounder.  So it stays a 4.

So adding all of those up we get  4+4+4+3+5+4 = 24 divided by 6 picks is a 4.0   

So This draft gets an  A- grade from me  The Ito Smith pick brings it down but the Gage pick brings it back up. 

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:24 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Wasn't the guy he replaced a Pro Bowl level player as a rookie?

That was a bad pick. 

Vogel had worst hangtime in the league last year. Our special teams coach worked with him last year, but it didn't seem to matter to Vogel. His numbers never changed. I guess hangtime doesn't get you a big contract. But bad hangtime cost him his job. I didn't see him getting cut or us taking a punter, until the draft. After the draft I read about all of this and now it makes perfect sense. Scott happened to have a very good hangtime at Alabama. Pro Bowls are for the fans, fans help make selections. But most fans are ignorant at certain things, like not having a clue a guys hangtime sucks. So this is why a pro bowl punter gets cut. 

1. Jaire Alexander CB would have been a ok pick at #14 but when we traded down and swapped a third rounder for a first rounder next year, it's a no brainer to give this pick a A+. Having 2 first's next year is going to be incredible. 

2. Josh Jackson CB, many thought he was going to go in the first round, so to get him in the mid 2nd was a surprise. I'd say this is another A. 

3. Oren Burks LB trade up into round 3 for him, he has a chance to be a nice player. I think they jumped up a round too early for him. B-. 

4. J'Mon Moore WR Packers were extremely high on him, he had a great combine. B+. 

5. Cole Madison looks like he could be a serviceable Guard down the road. This was a need pick at a position. B

6. JK Scott what can you say, he's a punter. Already replaced last years starter. B

7. Marquez Valdes-Scantling was chosen to more or less just be a gunner/returner on this football team. He was a handful and a little bit of a trouble maker at S. Florida. C

8. Equinimous St. Brown, he was a 2nd round pick according to all the experts, top 50 pick. I think he even attended the draft, to get him in the 6th round is a steal. A+

9. James Looney is just a guy playing DL, I don't like his size to make this team. D+

10. Hunder Bradley, what can you say, he's a long snapper. D

11. Kendall Donnerson, no size but has speed at OLB, I don't see him making the club. C

1 18 Jaire Alexander CB Louisville Packers trade back up in first round for Jaire Alexander
2 13 (45) Josh Jackson CB Iowa Packers draft Josh Jackson in round 2
3 24 (88, from CAR) Oren Burks LB Vanderbilt Packers trade up into round 3 for LB Oren Burks
4 33 (133 comp) J'Mon Moore WR Missouri Packers grab WR J'Mon Moore in round 4
5 1 (138) Cole Madison OL Washington State Packers take OL Cole Madison from WSU with pick 138
5 35 (172 comp) JK Scott P Alabama Packers land punter JK Scott
5 37 (174 comp) Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR South Florida Valdes-Scantling becomes Packers' second WR draft pick
6 33 (207, comp) Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR Notre Dame Packers take St. Brown as third WR in 2018 class
7 14 (232) James Looney DE California James Looney becomes first defensive player on day three
7 21 (239) Hunter Bradley LS Mississippi State Packers land a long-snapper of

1 18 Jaire Alexander CB Louisville Packers trade back up in first round for Jaire Alexander
2 13 (45) Josh Jackson CB Iowa Packers draft Josh Jackson in round 2
3 24 (88, from CAR) Oren Burks LB Vanderbilt Packers trade up into round 3 for LB Oren Burks
4 33 (133 comp) J'Mon Moore WR Missouri Packers grab WR J'Mon Moore in round 4
5 1 (138) Cole Madison OL Washington State Packers take OL Cole Madison from WSU with pick 138
5 35 (172 comp) JK Scott P Alabama Packers land punter JK Scott
5 37 (174 comp) Marquez Valdes-Scantling WR South Florida Valdes-Scantling becomes Packers' second WR draft pick
6 33 (207, comp) Equanimeous St. Brown WR Notre Dame Packers take St. Brown as third WR in 2018 class
7 14 (232) James Looney DE California James Looney becomes first defensive player on day three
7 21 (239) Hunter Bradley LS Mississippi State Packers land a long-snapper 

On 5/8/2018 at 6:26 PM, SteelKing728 said:

The punts inside the 20 can be explained by such an inept offense though. Hundley was awful.

The Pro bowl is a joke, but having the title of "pro-bowler" is still relevant.

Not really.  We're one step away from it becoming the equivalent of the NBA All-Star game.  It's essentially a popularity contest, not really based on whose played the best.  Vogel was at best an average across the board punter.  I wouldn't really say there was anything that he did well.  He's an average punter, which was a major upgrade over most of the punters we've had in recent years.  We had a chance to draft a potential top-tier punter, and we took that chance.  And Vogel asked for his release, and we obliged.

Archived