Post Draft Talk

DreamKid

Man, I didn't realize just how stacked our secondary depth was. I really hope Jaylen Hill makes the team, but I guess it's better to have too many good cornerbacks than not enough like a few years ago. Also, what are the odds that someone actually manages to unseat Peanut for that secondary ILB spot?

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Man, I didn't realize just how stacked our secondary depth was. I really hope Jaylen Hill makes the team, but I guess it's better to have too many good quarterbacks than not enough like a few years ago. Also, what are the odds that someone actually manages to unseat Peanut for that secondary ILB spot?

I think there’s very high odds of it happening personally. Clearly the organization felt it was important enough to pass on the receiver position to make sure they could secure Kenny Young. What’s more they took him over other prospects of potential such as Genard Avery.

I will say that, after watching his tapes, I like Young’s instincts and feel for zone coverage. Not as good as LVE, but certainly quite adept. Also while he’s not strong with handling trash, he’s also capable of taking on blocks at the point of attack and shedding them. It’s definitely not a strength, but compared to Roquan Smith, who was terrible at it, I’d say Young was capable. Honestly, he wasn’t on my radar, but his potential is clear. He’s not in he same level as the Kendrick brothers coming from UCLA, but he has the same kind of frame and run game instincts. He’s not quite as athletic nor does he seem as dominant a playmaker in pass coverage as Mychal Kendrick’s was coming out.

I can say with confidence that I think Young will beat out last seasons version of Peanut. That said, an underrated option that just might beat out both options is Bam Bradley. He seemed like he was having quite the preseason before injury last season. Definitely someone to look out for.

2 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Man, I didn't realize just how stacked our secondary depth was. I really hope Jaylen Hill makes the team, but I guess it's better to have too many good quarterbacks than not enough like a few years ago. Also, what are the odds that someone actually manages to unseat Peanut for that secondary ILB spot?

Not good right now, but who knows, we have a very good track record with UDFA's and Kenny Young could certainly do it.

I think after this draft the obvious needs going into next draft are definitely as others have stated going to be looking at a legit Free Safety option, which is good because those guys tend to fall a little bit.

I’m also predicting that running back will be an issue. But just based off of my very early analysis of the class, from the main starters last year that will be eligible, I don’t see many quality options like this past class. Last year it was clear to see with Barkley, Chubb, Michel, and Guice the nfl potential. In 2019 I only really have noticed Bryce Love rated as a back worthy of day 1/2 selection. Everyone else I’ve seen look like day 3 talents.

4 hours ago, berlin calling said:

second question. whats your expectation of #5 for this season?

- they drafted him TEs and WRs

- Oline set

any excuses left not to perform?

I am certainly not pro-Flacco but I expect him to have a big year (by his standards). I genuinely think we have a solid chance at the Superbowl simply because this is effectively a contract year for him and he will put in the extra hours to be great. I think he already started working with receivers in the off-season which he rarely (or never) did in the past. Also, to your point, he has a seemingly solid O-line in front of him and potential for solid weapons around him. I am a big Alex Collins fan so I think he will have a great running game around him, as well.

4 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Man, I didn't realize just how stacked our secondary depth was. I really hope Jaylen Hill makes the team, but I guess it's better to have too many good cornerbacks than not enough like a few years ago. Also, what are the odds that someone actually manages to unseat Peanut for that secondary ILB spot?

The secondary is stacked. I wanted Hill to end up making the cut too but I couldn't justify it. Hard to believe the team would keep more than 11 defensive backs. Maybe Canady's ability to play some safety will make someone like Levine, Clark, or Elliot more expendable but I doubt it. The latter two are/project to be core special teams guys and Levine is the dude in the dime. Clark and Elliot could also be those dudes. Hill isn't making it in favor of Averett either so... his best chance of sticking around is starting the season on the PUP list. Maybe IR, but if they put him on that before final cuts then he's on there for the entire season. 

I have no idea how inside linebacker is going to shake out. Mosley is a lock, and I would think Onwuasor and Young are close to it as well, but playing time will be interesting. I'm still hoping for more dime. Take advantage of that stacked secondary to hide the weakness at ILB besides C.J. Come on Martindale, it's not that hard. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1624948-breaking-down-why-the-two-tight-end-offense-is-the-best-in-the-nfl

Article from 5 years ago that talks about the strengths of the Two Tight End offense.Two of the offenses mentioned were run by MM with the eagles and Roman with the 49ers. Meaningless speed toting glass hand receivers have been purged from our offense and replaced with tall, sure handed, mismatch weapons. It will be interesting to watch Andrews and Hurst become mainstays of the offense.

Hopefully Orlando Brown Jr. can step up and become a bookend for Stanley, then all we need is a strong pass blocking back to pick up for Flacco. It would ensure the TEs always have that time to uncover before the blitz reaches the QB. I love the direction the offense is heading, for win now purposes it's great and a couple years down the road two large sure handed targets moving downfield while Lamar creates will be amazing. 

4 hours ago, DreamKid said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1624948-breaking-down-why-the-two-tight-end-offense-is-the-best-in-the-nfl

Article from 5 years ago that talks about the strengths of the Two Tight End offense.Two of the offenses mentioned were run by MM with the eagles and Roman with the 49ers. Meaningless speed toting glass hand receivers have been purged from our offense and replaced with tall, sure handed, mismatch weapons. It will be interesting to watch Andrews and Hurst become mainstays of the offense.

Hopefully Orlando Brown Jr. can step up and become a bookend for Stanley, then all we need is a strong pass blocking back to pick up for Flacco. It would ensure the TEs always have that time to uncover before the blitz reaches the QB. I love the direction the offense is heading, for win now purposes it's great and a couple years down the road two large sure handed targets moving downfield while Lamar creates will be amazing. 

Yup. This is exactly what I was referring to with having drafted both Hurst and Andrews. People keep mentioning how the offense is built for Flacco, but I disagree. These double TE sets can be effective regardless of the QB. It essentially does to the offense what the 34 defense did on that side of the ball. You can go from a traditional double TE look with both lined up in-line, motion one into an H-back position, motion the other into your fullback position, all while pass faking to the RB and get yourself a better look at what the defense is trying to do by forcing them to adjust their alignment.

Its honestly brilliant. Regardless of if Flacco is running the offense or Jackson, that doesn’t have to change. The only thing Jackson could bring is creating additional pressure on the defensive formation by way of the read-option in the backfield. Similar to how Kaepernick could just open up the offense for the Harbaugh led 49ers vs them changing it from anything they did with Alex Smith.

It makes sense that the younger Harbaugh will be morphing to the same offensive system years later with Michael Crabtree at receiver. We already know a little bit of what to expect from Flacco and Jackson by looking at how Smith and Kaepernick were utilized.

On 4/30/2018 at 4:22 PM, diamondbull424 said:

I think after this draft the obvious needs going into next draft are definitely as others have stated going to be looking at a legit Free Safety option, which is good because those guys tend to fall a little bit.

I’m also predicting that running back will be an issue. But just based off of my very early analysis of the class, from the main starters last year that will be eligible, I don’t see many quality options like this past class. Last year it was clear to see with Barkley, Chubb, Michel, and Guice the nfl potential. In 2019 I only really have noticed Bryce Love rated as a back worthy of day 1/2 selection. Everyone else I’ve seen look like day 3 talents.

Justice Hill from Oklahoma State looks like the best back returning next year from the guys I’ve seen... great lateral quickness finishes run with authority and also has breakaway speed... 

Also looking forward to next offseason and a possible Flacco release... both Shane Ray and Dante Fowler could be potential free agent targets as both of their 5th year options weren’t picked up by their respective teams...

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

You can go from a traditional double TE look with both lined up in-line, motion one into an H-back position, motion the other into your fullback position, all while pass faking to the RB and get yourself a better look at what the defense is trying to do by forcing them to adjust their alignment.

Can you do with Mark Andrews though?  I'm not sure I even remember seeing him lined up in line

1 hour ago, EastsideEZ said:

Justice Hill from Oklahoma State looks like the best back returning next year from the guys I’ve seen... great lateral quickness finishes run with authority and also has breakaway speed... 

I like. Hill definitely is a beast. Very similar to Love. Hill reminds me of Jamaal Charles and Love of Priest Holmes. That said, it seems all the top RBs in college football are sophomore talents. Guys like DeAndre Swift, Jonathan Taylor, JK Dobbins, and AJ Dillon. And even then, Swift is the only guy that might be a next level threat.

Edit: Forgot to include Rodney Anderson, he might have special potential from what I recall of him as well. He could be a good back to target in the 2019 draft class.

48 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Can you do with Mark Andrews though?  I'm not sure I even remember seeing him lined up in line

Very rarely. I would expect Max Williams or Nick Boyle to win the job of #2 TE next season as Andrews develops. But Andrews has been lined up in line on rare occasions.

3 Times- 2:14s. 4:45s. 5:10s.

Just guessing but there were probably a total of 25-30 offensive plays run there, so something like 10-12% of the time he was in-line.

Of those plays, we saw a TE screen used on one of them. So that could be an interesting possibility with him, though I think Hurst is definitely the better option in that regard.

edit: If Maxx Williams is fully healthy though and his injury has been conquered, I expect him to be the #2 option. His ability after the catch would be quite compelling, but it’s too hard to know what he’ll be not knowing the nature of his injury nor anyone recovering from it before.

Archived