Post Draft Talk

DreamKid

5 hours ago, drd23 said:

Can you do with Mark Andrews though?  I'm not sure I even remember seeing him lined up in line

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Very rarely. I would expect Max Williams or Nick Boyle to win the job of #2 TE next season as Andrews develops. But Andrews has been lined up in line on rare occasions.

3 Times- 2:14s. 4:45s. 5:10s.

Just guessing but there were probably a total of 25-30 offensive plays run there, so something like 10-12% of the time he was in-line.

Of those plays, we saw a TE screen used on one of them. So that could be an interesting possibility with him, though I think Hurst is definitely the better option in that regard.

edit: If Maxx Williams is fully healthy though and his injury has been conquered, I expect him to be the #2 option. His ability after the catch would be quite compelling, but it’s too hard to know what he’ll be not knowing the nature of his injury nor anyone recovering from it before.

I too would expect Williams to be the #2 this season due to his ability to play in-line.

Crazy comp for you all... Does anyone else see Aaron Hernandez (play style only) in Hurst?  I think we should steal some plays from the Pats playbook in the Gronk/Hernandez days when we have Williams/Hurst on the field.  Obviously-again, I underscore OBVIOUSLY-not saying it will be as good (particularly on the Williams vs. Gronk front), but it could be a good way leverage their respective skills.

7 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Crazy comp for you all... Does anyone else see Aaron Hernandez (play style only) in Hurst?

I remember Hernandez being more athletic/better at changing direction, and his testing numbers (particularly the 3-cone (6.83 vs 7.34), but all the vertical and short shuttle) bear that out.

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

I remember Hernandez being more athletic/better at changing direction, and his testing numbers (particularly the 3-cone (6.83 vs 7.34), but all the vertical and short shuttle) bear that out.

Fair.  

57 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I too would expect Williams to be the #2 this season due to his ability to play in-line.

Crazy comp for you all... Does anyone else see Aaron Hernandez (play style only) in Hurst?  I think we should steal some plays from the Pats playbook in the Gronk/Hernandez days when we have Williams/Hurst on the field.  Obviously-again, I underscore OBVIOUSLY-not saying it will be as good (particularly on the Williams vs. Gronk front), but it could be a good way leverage their respective skills.

On page one, I alluded to the Aaron Hernandez comp with regard to the Hernandez/Gronk reference. I see his play style being similar in how they’re used. But ultimately Zack Ertz is probably most similar from a profile and athleticism standpoint.

But from a usage standpoint, I think we’ll definitely see Hurst utilized in a similar manner. With how the Patriots used to line AH up out of the backfield as a RB on occasion, then line him up at H-back, then line him up split out into the slot. That’s what I see with Hurst.

22 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

what could have been. smh

this'll probably look worse in 2 years from now

This doesn’t surprise me. I had Tremaine Edmunds ranked similar to James only because of our need for a ILB and not having as much need for a safety (Weddle ranked the 12th best FS and Jefferson the 15th beat strong safety).

It will be interesting to see how this goes. But in retrospect, this is the trade:

Pick 16: Derwin James

OR

Pick 25: Hayden Hurst

Pick 86: Mark Andrews

Pick 122: Kenny Young

Pick 125/132: Jaleel Scott

*Pick 162: Jordan Lasley

Pick 212: Greg Senat

*Pick 215: Bradley Bozeman

Without the trade downs we would’ve had the 154th pick to take Jordan Lasley and pick 215 was originally our pick anyway and thus Bradley Bozeman could’ve been the pick regardless.

So if Kenny Young beats out Peanut to upgrade our ILB spot and be a solid starter, which is very likely (IMO) and the combination of Hurst/Andrews/Scott nets us a pro bowl talent or two, I think it was worth it.

32 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

We would probably be looking back on this draft the way we look at Ozzie's first draft with JO and Ray if they took James and Jackson (which they could've). Maybe/probably not quite as impactful but close.

Can someone explain to me (since I'm too dumb to do the math and research here) what we would lose if we stood at 16, took James, then traded our 2nd rounders to trade back into 32 to get Jackson?

Obviously Hurst, but I'm assuming we'd also lose Averett and Orlando Brown Jr.?

4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

On page one, I alluded to the Aaron Hernandez comp with regard to the Hernandez/Gronk reference. I see his play style being similar in how they’re used. But ultimately Zack Ertz is probably most similar from a profile and athleticism standpoint.

But from a usage standpoint, I think we’ll definitely see Hurst utilized in a similar manner. With how the Patriots used to line AH up out of the backfield as a RB on occasion, then line him up at H-back, then line him up split out into the slot. That’s what I see with Hurst.

My bad, I have been very in-and-out here and it's hard to keep up with the recent spike in activity (not at all surprising that a site called Football's Future has its highest activity around the draft).

54 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

We would probably be looking back on this draft the way we look at Ozzie's first draft with JO and Ray if they took James and Jackson (which they could've). Maybe/probably not quite as impactful but close.

I think you may be overstating the hit probability (and the probability of that hit being at the top level of the talent distribution) just a bit there when you use two first ballot hall of famers as the point of reference.

25 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

focal point that i get from that Tweet - DeCosta wouldve taken James, Ozzie decided to rather trade down. 

hope the decision to take LJ was a general consensus and not Ozzie leaving a new QB as his last present to DeCosta

I doubt that would be done absent the input from DeCosta or the FO more broadly.

20 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I doubt that would be done absent the input from DeCosta or the FO more broadly.

sure, but you could read aforementioned tweet as DeCosta differing from Ozzies opinion so Oh may very well have decided to take LJ with somebody like DC not fully in favour.

anyhow, drafts done with and Oz has one last season to prove he's one of the best in business still.

1 hour ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I’m confused. I looked back at the 1996 draft and didn’t see anyone in the first round with the last name James and Jackson, what players are you referring to?

Archived