Post Draft Talk

DreamKid

12 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Kenny Young, not Kenny Bell gets #40.

We already knew Lamar Jackson #8, Lasley #12 and Hurst #81.  Interesting that DeShon Elliott got #21 which is usually a highly coveted number among CBs 

Yea, I always think of #21 on DBs being like #23 in basketball (admittedly to a much lesser degree).  I always think the guy wearing it must consider himself the top dog.

42 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, I always think of #21 on DBs being like #23 in basketball (admittedly to a much lesser degree).  I always think the guy wearing it must consider himself the top dog.

Yeah, 21 in general looks bada$$. 

89 looks real good on Andrews, really hope he pans out like Juice did for us. 

Something that's always funny to me is the rookies learning the lay of the land. There's no way Anthony Averett fully understood our situation at corner. Or players understanding who the top dogs are on the team. Like how many of these guys even know who Yanda is? What's funny too is Hurst and Andrews, they're talking like two college buddies who are about to grow and dominate together. I don't think they know, care, or are worried that Boyle and Williams exist. lol They know they're going to be running the show.

3 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Something that's always funny to me is the rookies learning the lay of the land. There's no way Anthony Averett fully understood our situation at corner. Or players understanding who the top dogs are on the team. Like how many of these guys even know who Yanda is? What's funny too is Hurst and Andrews, they're talking like two college buddies who are about to grow and dominate together. I don't think they know, care, or are worried that Boyle and Williams exist. lol They know they're going to be running the show.

In all honesty I think you need to come in with an attitude where you will not be stopped. Don't be cocky but have a confidence and respect the veterans who've earned their spot. 

I think they're humble guys but players of their caliber who were able to be drafted need to have a bit of swag. I think any successful sports player does. 

I think if they don't know who guys like Yanda are, they're schooled real quick on who they are and what they mean to the organization. Guys off the top of my head that have top seniority Are, Suggs, Yanda, Joe, Weddle, CJ, B. Will. I'm probably missing a couple. I can't imagine a rookie not knowing who Suggs is though ?

Random. But I’m a big Kobe fan. And I just LOVE that Lamar Jackson is #8. His will be the first ever NFL Jersey I buy. And equally related I LOVE that Jackson’s favorite target will likely be 81. That’s too much Kobe luck for this tandem not to be good. At this point I’m expecting 5 rings from them.?

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I don't think any TE worth anything would care that Maxx Williams and Nick Boyle exist. Neither of those guys are capable of staying on the field, and even the rare occasions when they play, they make a negligible impact.

For Averett, it's about belief in himself (expressed in non-obnoxious ways) to cement a place on the roster, no matter who he has to beat for the job. I would be interested to know if the calls to draft picks often include lines like 'you'll get a chance to compete, but we see you as a guy for the future', just to temper expectations out of the gate.

The entire culture of the NFL draft always seems a little alien to me. That most of these kids genuinely don't seem to care what team they go to, as long as they go somewhere. Of course, being selected is a great feeling, but there's surprisingly little thought given to the situations they're going into, or even to the teams they followed as kids, who they may now become rivals of.

I do remember the video of Kyle Juszczyk getting the call from Ozzie, and his brother was sat next to him wearing a Browns jersey. When he learned what team was on the phone, he sighed deeply and took the jersey off.

1 hour ago, Mancunian Raven said:

The entire culture of the NFL draft always seems a little alien to me.

Another case where being English puts you at odds with American sports fans ;).  Australians (at least the ones that follow Aussie Rules), and I assume Americans also, grow up knowing that the only way into the league if you're any good is through a draft, so you're used to the idea from a fairly young age.  Because academy systems (where kids and their families have some choice in which team they join) are the development pathway for the the dominant sport for Brits, you guys don't have the thought of potentially going to the other side of the country just to play your sport pervade your understanding from a young age.

1 hour ago, Mancunian Raven said:

I do remember the video of Kyle Juszczyk getting the call from Ozzie, and his brother was sat next to him wearing a Browns jersey. When he learned what team was on the phone, he sighed deeply and took the jersey off.

I don't think I've ever seen this video but it sounds hilarious

13 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

In all honesty I think you need to come in with an attitude where you will not be stopped. Don't be cocky but have a confidence and respect the veterans who've earned their spot. 

I think they're humble guys but players of their caliber who were able to be drafted need to have a bit of swag. I think any successful sports player does. 

I think if they don't know who guys like Yanda are, they're schooled real quick on who they are and what they mean to the organization. Guys off the top of my head that have top seniority Are, Suggs, Yanda, Joe, Weddle, CJ, B. Will. I'm probably missing a couple. I can't imagine a rookie not knowing who Suggs is though ?

Zero chance of that.

19 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Do they control for years in the league?  I'd be a bit more concerned about AV/year than total AV as it's a cumulative stat.  3 additional years (21 to 24; and really that's 24+) could explain the difference among similar players if they both played until they were 32, for example.  For one player that's 12 years, while it's 9 for the other.  With identical production in the years they play, that would account for pretty much all of the difference.

Reading through, it does not appear that there is any control for using a cumulative measure here.  So yes, you get more total career value out of younger drafted players, but that's sort of something we would intuitively know before any sort of analysis (because they play more years on average).  What would be more telling, IMO, is what the success of players is during their rookie contract years.

Also, using AV may be problematic here.  The article discusses the larger impact of drafted age on QBs (relative to total).  I would imagine that age coming into the league is not uniform across positions.  It is very possible that low AV positions (TE or linemen, for example) tend to have older draftees than high AV positions (like QB), skewing the results somewhat.

Overall, there's a lot of factors that make this analysis seem a lot less definitive than it hopes to look and I would caution against using it as "proof" that this was a bad pick.

9 hours ago, Mancunian Raven said:

The entire culture of the NFL draft always seems a little alien to me. That most of these kids genuinely don't seem to care what team they go to, as long as they go somewhere. Of course, being selected is a great feeling, but there's surprisingly little thought given to the situations they're going into, or even to the teams they followed as kids, who they may now become rivals of.

You also have to remember the $ equivalent that comes into play. It's hard to care about childhood or adolescent loyalty to a team, when they're about to make life changing money the higher they're drafted. It's also a validation thing, like an orphan that's always dreamed about getting adopted and they finally do. 

FOUR DOWNS

1. The turning point for Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. Any team considering drafting Lamar Jackson had to have a plan for him. The Ravens, who dealt up to get him with the final pick of the first round, were no exception.

What will that look like in 2018? I think a fair example is right back in Philly, where Harbaugh’s roots are. Doug Peterson, Frank Reich and John DeFilippo built a system to highlight Carson Wentz’s athletic gifts, getting him playing fast by threatening the defense with his ability to run. And that offense, stocked with run-pass-options and movement, worked all the same for Nick Foles, pulling the veteran journeyman out of a mid-career funk and into a championship. Point being, it’s not easy, but it can be done.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/10/pat-shurmur-eli-manning-new-york-giants-mmqb

Been saying this for quite some time. The Ravens and Eagles are playing the same game, operating from the same playbook. 

RPO double TE alignment offense for increased offensive speed and versatility. Both Flacco and Jackson would thrive within that type of offense. Flacco has also always been an underrated athlete.

You also look at Baker Mayfield at Oklahoma, he’s not particularly fast, just quick and he operated one of the top RPOs in college football. Also consider the fact that both Mark Andrews and Orlando Brown come from that system and outside of Mayfield were two of its most productive elements... and it only makes further sense for the transition.

Archived