2018-2019 NFL Season Predictions (Awards)

Shylo3716

1 hour ago, Ajayii said:

You'd be surprised how Tannehill's stats compare to some QBs who are perceived to be better than him.  I'm not saying hes the best, elite, great, etc. but to disregard the season he was having and how well the team was performing before he got injured to then label him below average is quite foolish on your part. I'm not even saying that the team will perform like that again but I would bet on this team being similar to 2016, over .500, way before I would 2017, 6-10.

So which of these QBs are you saying Tannehill is better than for 2018?:

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wentz, Wilson, Rivers, Roethliserger, Goff, Ryan, Cam, Stafford, Carr, Smith, Cousins, Watson, Garroppolo, Mariota, Dak, Eli, and Jameis.

I’d go Eli and maybe Winston out of that bunch, but that’s it. 

1 hour ago, Ajayii said:

Bad offensive line and limited weapons? I can understand not liking the talent like SteelKing, but the masses share the same ignorance you have which is why I see red whenever I see a 3-13 or 5-11 prediction. Check out Bill Barnwell's breakdown of our offense and you'll see what I mean. We can disagree but at least have a legit reason(s) why backed up with facts.

Yeah, a bad offensive line. DVOA has them 11th in pass blocking, which is solid, but 30th in run blocking. Adding Sitton is nice but he’s not getting younger and has already run into durability issues. 

As for the weapons, I really like Drake actually. And I loved Parker pre-draft. But the latter hasn’t put together a good season yet. Stills is a solid weapon but who else? Rookie Gesicki? Amendola and Wilson? Grant is dangerous with the ball in his hands, I’ll give you that. 

And yeah, the defense isn’t a good one at this point in time. Not statistically, not in advanced metrics, not on paper. 

Could those things change? Sure. Is there cause for optimism? Yup. Are they an above average team as presently constructed? Nope.

5 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

Not a crazy notion. Jags have a bottom 5 QB situation in the NFL. They will get nowhere meaningful with that

But they just got to the AFCCG with that exact QB...

Also, I wouldn’t call Bortles bottom 5. If 2017 is the new Bortles, he’s a league average guy/slightly better-to-slight lower kind of guy depending on the week. 

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

So which of these QBs are you saying Tannehill is better than for 2018?:

Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Wentz, Wilson, Rivers, Roethliserger, Goff, Ryan, Cam, Stafford, Carr, Smith, Cousins, Watson, Garroppolo, Mariota, Dak, Eli, and Jameis.

I’d go Eli and maybe Winston out of that bunch, but that’s it. 

Yeah, a bad offensive line. DVOA has them 11th in pass blocking, which is solid, but 30th in run blocking. Adding Sitton is nice but he’s not getting younger and has already run into durability issues. 

As for the weapons, I really like Drake actually. And I loved Parker pre-draft. But the latter hasn’t put together a good season yet. Stills is a solid weapon but who else? Rookie Gesicki? Amendola and Wilson? Grant is dangerous with the ball in his hands, I’ll give you that. 

And yeah, the defense isn’t a good one at this point in time. Not statistically, not in advanced metrics, not on paper. 

Could those things change? Sure. Is there cause for optimism? Yup. Are they an above average team as presently constructed? Nope.

Carr, Eli, Garroppolo(doesn't have nearly enough snaps to compare), and Jameis. 

That's why you need to pay attention to the situation along with the stats instead of just statistical data. You do know by the end of the season that we were playing primarily backups right? Starting RT Ja'Wuan James played 8 games before going down for the season , starting LG only played 6 games before going down for the season, Larsen and Bushrod constantly suffered injuries at RG and were put on IR. It was so bad that we had to cross-train back-up OTs to play OG. Not to mention that their coach was on that powder. It also makes sense that they were 30th since they were dead last in rushing attempts.

Well you broke it down pretty fair. I guess I'm looking at the what Gase wants to achieve, 2013-2015 Broncos/Bears offenses, instead of individual players. Having Manning voids the comparisons but:   Forte-Drake    Demaryius  or Alshon-Parker    Sanders- Stills/Jakeem?    Welker- Amendola/Wilson    Thomas or Bennett-Gesicki   is more or less how he wants the offense to function. Can't do that when a certain someone demands 15+ targets a game.

That's also a fair opinion of the defense although I think its mainly because Suh isn't in the middle. Quinn in an actual 4-3, Wake hasn't fallen off yet, quite a few folks are high on Godchaux, and Spence is a decent starter. Kiko is better suited as an OLB which we will finally be able to do with the emergence of a healthy McMillan. The other OLB spot will most likely go to Jerome Baker because of his athleticism. And as I've said, the secondary should be a top group this year. Statistics and metrics go out the window when you have four new starters.

34 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

That's why you need to pay attention to the situation along with the stats instead of just statistical data. You do know by the end of the season that we were playing primarily backups right? Starting RT Ja'Wuan James played 8 games before going down for the season , starting LG only played 6 games before going down for the season, Larsen and Bushrod constantly suffered injuries at RG and were put on IR. It was so bad that we had to cross-train back-up OTs to play OG. Not to mention that their coach was on that powder. It also makes sense that they were 30th since they were dead last in rushing attempts.

Well you broke it down pretty fair. I guess I'm looking at the what Gase wants to achieve, 2013-2015 Broncos/Bears offenses, instead of individual players. Having Manning voids the comparisons but:   Forte-Drake    Demaryius  or Alshon-Parker    Sanders- Stills/Jakeem?    Welker- Amendola/Wilson    Thomas or Bennett-Gesicki   is more or less how he wants the offense to function. Can't do that when a certain someone demands 15+ targets a game.

That's also a fair opinion of the defense although I think its mainly because Suh isn't in the middle. Quinn in an actual 4-3, Wake hasn't fallen off yet, quite a few folks are high on Godchaux, and Spence is a decent starter. Kiko is better suited as an OLB which we will finally be able to do with the emergence of a healthy McMillan. The other OLB spot will most likely go to Jerome Baker because of his athleticism. And as I've said, the secondary should be a top group this year. Statistics and metrics go out the window when you have four new starters.

Carr had a broken back.  Sooooooo

3 hours ago, Ajayii said:

Definitely not Carr. If you’re going to compare he and Tannehill, use their last healthy seasons.

Jimmy is better at this stage too, but I’ll give you he’s the most unproven. 

But even with those 4 excluded, that places Tannehill as 17th on the list of 32 starting QBs, by your own admission. So at that point you’re looking at “average, at best”.

Their rushing stats are all on a per carry basis, so their lack of rushing attempts shouldn’t effect their ranking. 

That aside, their injury issues are sort of a part of the reason they’re not labeled as better than they could be if healthy. You’re looking at a left tackle who hasn’t strung things together, an older guard who - while still good - has been getting dinged up, a below average center in Kilgore, a combo of bad/unproven in Larsen/Davis, and a solid tackle in James whose missed about 1 out of the last 3 season’s worth of games. 

That may be it, but as you said, that gets really far out there when Peyton Manning isn’t in the equation. I think the comparisons you made might fit as far as player types, but those Bears/Broncos versions were the premium packages.

Which was sort of my point - the Phins are relying on young/new players uplifting a unit that didn’t really play well last season. I think the secondary and linebacking group are going to be really good, just not hitting their full stride quite yet in 2018, and not hitting their stride enough to cover up some other things (like the run defense without Suh).

11 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

But they just got to the AFCCG with that exact QB...

Also, I wouldn’t call Bortles bottom 5. If 2017 is the new Bortles, he’s a league average guy/slightly better-to-slight lower kind of guy depending on the week. 

The Jags were a perennial last place team until they benefited big time from QBs going down for 2 teams and horrendous offensive coaching by the other....

And they only won 10 games out of it

8 minutes ago, jvmillion83 said:

The Jags were a perennial last place team until they benefited big time from QBs going down for 2 teams and horrendous offensive coaching by the other....

And they only won 10 games out of it

But they won 60 percent of their non-divisional games?

2 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

But they won 60 percent of their non-divisional games?

They had an incredibly easy non-divisional schedule last year (including the easy divisional one)

- Worst Ravens offensive team in awhile

- The 0-16 projected Jets team

- One of worst offensive Cincy teams in awhile

- 0-16 Browns

- Arizona without a QB

- Seattle missing a ton of defensive starters

1 minute ago, jvmillion83 said:

They had an incredibly easy non-divisional schedule last year (including the easy divisional one)

- Worst Ravens offensive team in awhile

- The 0-16 projected Jets team

- One of worst offensive Cincy teams in awhile

- 0-16 Browns

- Arizona without a QB

- Seattle missing a ton of defensive starters

I don’t know, man. Sounds like we’re reaching from “they won’t go anywhere with Bortles” when they almost went to the SB, played well outside their division, etc. Just adding lots of parameters and all. 

They won’t go anywhere with Bortles....well if other teams stay healthy. And if they play tough teams outside the division. And if they do this or that. 

Archived