2018-2019 NFL Season Predictions (Awards)

Shylo3716

On 7/20/2018 at 9:44 AM, goldfishwars said:

I just did the simulator and posted the results. I guess subconsciously, without giving it too much thought, I liked Chiefs in their games more than I like the Raiders in theirs. Oakland feels like a much more unstable situation than KC, even with the QB change. It's not that I'm down on their chances, I just literally haven't got a clue what to expect from them this year with all the change and I guess that played into my game by game prediction. 

Honestly no one really does. We are the biggest boom/bust candidate in the league. Brand new coaching staff, switched up the entire practice makeup, added a lot of veterans, drafted a number of major question marks (Key, Hurst, Miller), moving to a new city soon, etc.

If everything clicks, we could be one of the better AFC teams. If things go poorly, we are in the running for a top 5 pick. There is that much uncertainty about this entire team. 

Most Valuable Player: Jared Goff (Runner up: Drew Brees)

Offensive Player of the Year: Jared Goff, (Runner up: Drew Brees)

Defensive Player of the Year: Aaron Donald (Runner up: Myles Garrett)

Offensive Rookie of the Year: Saquon Barkley

Defensive Rookie of the Year: Roquan Smith

Comeback Player of the Year: Aaron Rodgers

Coach of the Year: Sean McVay

AFC Championship Game: Patriots vs. Jaguars

NFC Championship Game: Rams vs. Saints

Super Bowl: Rams vs. Jaguars

Super Bowl Champs: Rams

Super Bowl MVP: Jared Goff

1st Overall Pick: Buffalo Bills

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

So you think the Rams will have the MVP AND OPOY AND Superbowl MVP in Jared Goff, the DPOY in Donald (by far the most likely though), AS WELL as the Coach of the Year in McVay? You arent a Rams fan per chance are you?

The MVP, OPOY, DPOY, and COTY all from one team....has that ever happened in NFL history? Im actually asking anyone who will look it up. Because I dont think it has. 

I think Donald certainly will have best odds at DPOY (hell, Id like to see him get some MVP love tbh). But McVay already won Coach of the Year in 2017. Unless the Rams go 16-0, or like 11-5 after Gurley, Whitworth, Peters, and Donald all tear their ACLs in week 1, I really dont see McVay getting it again. Youre basically saying that you think that he'll do some thing more impressive than taking the 32nd ranked offense and turning it into the #1 in his first season if you believe he will win CoTY. 

And Goff at MVP.....I dont even know if hes the 3rd most valuable player on his own team (4th or 5th at best if you include coaches )..let alone MVP of the league. Gurley is the most important part of that offense, and McVay is the mastermind behind it. He literally reads the defense presnap and instructs Goff through their mic's. And then Donald is absolutely more valuable.....And if you include coaches, Id say Wade is 4th behind the 3 and ahead of Goff. But thats a murky area to get into anyway

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

They never give these awards to the same player. It just doesn't happen.

50 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

So you think the Rams will have the MVP AND OPOY AND Superbowl MVP in Jared Goff, the DPOY in Donald (by far the most likely though), AS WELL as the Coach of the Year in McVay? You arent a Rams fan per chance are you?

The MVP, OPOY, DPOY, and COTY all from one team....has that ever happened in NFL history? Im actually asking anyone who will look it up. Because I dont think it has. 

I think Donald certainly will have best odds at DPOY (hell, Id like to see him get some MVP love tbh). But McVay already won Coach of the Year in 2017. Unless the Rams go 16-0, or like 11-5 after Gurley, Whitworth, Peters, and Donald all tear their ACLs in week 1, I really dont see McVay getting it again. Youre basically saying that you think that he'll do some thing more impressive than taking the 32nd ranked offense and turning it into the #1 in his first season if you believe he will win CoTY. 

And Goff at MVP.....I dont even know if hes the 3rd most valuable player on his own team (4th or 5th at best if you include coaches )..let alone MVP of the league. Gurley is the most important part of that offense, and McVay is the mastermind behind it. He literally reads the defense presnap and instructs Goff through their mic's. And then Donald is absolutely more valuable.....And if you include coaches, Id say Wade is 4th behind the 3 and ahead of Goff. But thats a murky area to get into anyway

I filled out half of that post a week or so ago. It was saved as a reply that I just saw today. I didn't realize I had Donald in there too. You're right that is too ridiculous. I do think this is the Rams year though. Goff has been my MVP pick for awhile now. He was fantastic last season leading the NFLs top offense and he's only going to get better moving forward as he develops. He'll improve on his 28 TD to 7 INT ratio. 

If they win the Superbowl as I predict it's not inconceivable to think McVay can win COTY even after winning it last year. 

And you're incredibly devaluing Goff if you think he's the third most valuable player on his team. This team isn't making the playoffs with Goff leaving Sean Mannion at the helm. You can't say the same about Donald or Gurley.

Question: Do you think the Eagles have a slim chance of winning the Superbowl this season because it's statically improbable to repeat that feat?

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

If they win the Superbowl as I predict it's not inconceivable to think McVay can win COTY even after winning it last year. 

If the post season had any impact on who won COTY then Pederson would have won it this season.

I also highly doubt that Goff will improve on a 4:1 TD:INT ratio. I'm guessing somewhere around 35:13 tbh.

Gurley remains to be seen, but Donald is more valuable than Goff. 

Yes I believe the Eagles have a slim chance to win the Super Bowl this season because it is statistically improbable and the NFC is loaded. I'm giving them somewhere around an 8-10% chance at this point in time.

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I dont think its a stretch for Goff to win MVP. People look at Goff taking a regression but they dont stop think that if Goff was that impressive in his first year with McVay and all those new pieces, just think of what he can do in his second year with McVay and more chemistry with those pieces from a year ago. Cooks is an addition because he not only has some chemistry with Goff (works out with him during the offseason before being traded to LA), but now he has an entire offseason to get even more chemistry with Goff. Unlike Watkins last year who had no chemistry with Goff, didnt know the offense and was thrown in right before the season started. So Cooks will be huge for the Rams offense. 

I mean just think of what Wentz did in Year 1 in Peterson offense where he was solid but then in Year 2 of the Peterson offense Wentz wouldve won MVP had he never gotten hurt. Why Goff cant take another step in McVay offense to have a bigger season in Year 2? Even Cousins improved from Year 1 in McVay offense to Year 2. In Year 1 he had 4100yds and in Year 2 he had 4900yds. He didnt regress. Cousins is not more talented than Goff. So I just dont see the narrative of Goff takes a step back in McVay offense in Year 2 of it. Did you know that Goff is working more with McVay this offseason than he did last offseason? That will only help Goff.

With saying all of that, I dont think Goff will win MVP but it wouldnt shock me if he did. He was sorta kinda in the MVP discussion for a bit last season. Not heavily but sorta kinda. Nobody predicted Wentz as the favorite to win MVP last year around this time but he was before he got hurt late in the season. So again its not a stretch to say Goff will win MVP, but my choice is ARod. 

As for DPOY, I dont see how anyone can choose anyone other than Donald. Unless Donald holds out deep into the regular season, its his to lose. I get Watt is coming back but you know how tough its going to be to try to block Suh and Donald while Peters, Talib, Robey-Coleman, and Shields are shutting the passing game down. Like even with teams spread the Rams out by going 4 WR, the Rams can go 4 CB deep while having really good safeties in Joyner and Johnson III and Barron who is a safety that plays linebacker. Like its going to be tough to throw on the Rams this year. Donald had a career year last season and the Rams got better with another dominant defensive lineman next to him in Suh and upgraded the secondary. Again only way the Donald dont win DPOY if he gets hurt or he holds out deep into the season thus missing games that way. Outside of that he should win DOPY.

16 hours ago, Danger said:

If the post season had any impact on who won COTY then Pederson would have won it this season.

I also highly doubt that Goff will improve on a 4:1 TD:INT ratio. I'm guessing somewhere around 35:13 tbh.

Gurley remains to be seen, but Donald is more valuable than Goff. 

Yes I believe the Eagles have a slim chance to win the Super Bowl this season because it is statistically improbable and the NFC is loaded. I'm giving them somewhere around an 8-10% chance at this point in time.

No, no he isn't. You would rather have Sean Mannion replace Jared Goff than Brockers, Easley and Suh replacing Donald's output? I don't think so. Almost every team is far worse off without their starting QB.

Whether Donald is an all-pro or not, he's not more valuable than Goff. 

Most Valuable Player: Ezekiel Elliot

Offensive Player of the Year: Ezekiel Elliot

Defensive Player of the Year: Aaron Donald

AFC Championship Game: Patriots vs. Steelers

Super Bowl: Patriots vs. Rams

Super Bowl Champs: Patriots

Super Bowl MVP: Tom Brady

On 7/30/2018 at 11:15 PM, DoleINGout said:

AFC East:
1. Dolphins* 10-6 - In what world?

AFC North:
1. Bengals* 10-6 - Really? I see more people thinking they'll be picking Top-5 than winning their division.

AFC South:
4. Texans 6-10 - I think they're better than this.

NFC East:
4. Eagles 7-9 - What?

NFC North:
4. Packers 7-9 - What?

NFC South:
2. Falcons 8-8 - I think they're better than this.

Offensive Player of the Year: Alex Smith - What...

Comeback Player of the Year: Aaron Rodgers - As the quarterback of a 7-9 team? How does that one happen?

Coach of the Year: Jon Gruden 

AFC Championship Game: Jaguars/Raiders - xD

AFC East:
1. PATRIOTS 
2. DOLPHINS 
3. JETS 
4. BILLS

AFC North:
1. STEELERS 
2. BROWNS 
3. RAVENS 
4. BENGALS

AFC South:
1. TEXANS
2. JAGUARS
3. TITANS 
4. COLTS

AFC West: (Strong Division)
1. CHARGERS
2. CHIEFS
3. RAIDERS
4. BRONCOS

NFC East:
1. EAGLES
2. GIANTS
3. COWBOYS
4. REDSKINS

NFC North:
1. PACKERS
2. VIKINGS
3. LIONS
4. BEARS

NFC South:
1. FALCONS
2. SAINTS
3. PANTHERS
4. BUCCANEERS

NFC West:
1. RAMS
2. 49ERS
3. SEAHAWKS
4. CARDINALS

Most Valuable Player: Aaron Rodgers

Offensive Player of the Year: Ezekiel Elliot

Defensive Player of the Year: Joey Bosa

Defensive Rookie of the Year:  Marcus Davenport

Comeback Player of the Year: Andrew Luck

Coach of the Year: Bill O'Brien

AFC Championship Game: NE vs PIT

NFC Championship Game: Packers vs ATL

Super Bowl: NE vs Packers

Super Bowl Champs: Packers

Super Bowl MVP: Aaron Rodgers

#1 Pick- BILLS

On 7/14/2018 at 8:06 PM, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t know, man. Sounds like we’re reaching from “they won’t go anywhere with Bortles” when they almost went to the SB, played well outside their division, etc. Just adding lots of parameters and all. 

They won’t go anywhere with Bortles....well if other teams stay healthy. And if they play tough teams outside the division. And if they do this or that. 

I'd say so...

Bortles may not be a great QB, at least not yet, but in 2017 he had a very solid season. He wasn't a bottom 5 QB. He was turnover free and played big in the playoffs last year in PIT and NE especially (BUF was rough, but turned to his legs and got the job done).

His receiving options were a Marqise Lee who led the league in drops, a UDFA WR in Cole, 4th round rookie who missed half the year in Dede Westbrook, and an aging and limited (although very good blocking TE) in Marcedes Lewis. I'd say his supporting cast was very much lacking for a game manager at QB which is what Blake is. I'd say considering the circumstances it was honestly fairly impressive, although he was inconsistent at times.

I can understand if someone thinks someone leap frogs us as a division winner until we see another year of this team/figure out what we really are, but to go from the AFCG to last in the division, behind IND as well, would be...well, insane.

Too much talent for that much of a drop off. An elite defense and a top rushing attack should put us in most every game.

On 7/14/2018 at 8:30 PM, jvmillion83 said:

From a '17 perspective, they had an excellent season and congrats to them.  However from an '18 perspective, they face a much much tougher challenge.  The remaining three AFC South teams should see an improvement even the Titans while Mariota did stay healthy, everyone who watched that team was bewildered watching a Demarco Murray run play for 2-3 yards every 1st and 2nd down while they had so much talent they weren't using.  This new offensive staff is going to let Mariota, Henry and other loose in a system fit for them and they're going to surprise.  Not only the division, they have a ton of tough non-divisional teams in the first half of the season.  I'm not quite sure if they can repeat their success.  If they win the division again in '18 especially if Luck is back then congrats to them because overcoming Luck/Watson/Mariota-led teams would be an amazing feat. 

Even if you like Mariota and co. for Tennessee, Mariota has had some seriously awful moments and has a ton of questions surrounding him as well. Even if you want to blame it on the past coaching staff, to assume the light all the sudden turns on and he meets his previous franchise QB expectations is pretty far from a certainty. 

Watson had a great stretch of games, but crowning him as the next top tier QB is early. 

Luck is coming back from a possible career threatening injury and most wondered if he would play again/ever be the same, and it's still August and we have no idea what to really expect.

You keep wanting to make it as if we have all the questions, but I'd say these other teams have even more. The Jaguars have a legit top 2-3 defense and a top rushing attack. Even if you want to question Bortles, there is far less pressure on him to perform and still be able to muster out wins than any other team in the division (and honestly most teams in the league). If he plays anything like last year (with a far superior supporting cast compared to last year offensively) than there's zero reason we shouldn't be able to repeat unless Watson continues to set the league on fire/Mariota takes a massive step forward. 

Archived