2018 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

vike daddy

11 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

I don’t understand why he would be TE3 or 4 either. So, I guess I don’t understand either side of the argument. Blake Bell is just a guy who takes up a roster spot, nothing special.  David Morgan is more of a true, in-line Y, so he and Conklin play the same position in name only. Conklin is more of a J, and Rudolph is the combination player who can play in-line and split. 

The Eagles, under DeFillipo has three TEs with at least ten catches last year (and a touchdown). If I were to slot the guys on our roster into those slots...

Kyle Rudolph - Zach Ertz (combo player that can move around)

Tyler Conklin - Trey Burton (we did try to sign Burton, J-TE, more of a pure receiving threat)

David Morgan - Brent Celek (true in-line Y)

EAGLES STATS AT THOSE POSTIONS

Combo: 74-824-8

J: 23-248-5

Y: 13-130-1

——

we know that DeFillipo likes multiple TE sets and that the J-TE is well utilized (and something we don’t have on roster), we know that Kirk Cousins passer rating goes up with multiple TEs on the field, and tight ends are among the most versatile contributors on special teams (both blocking and cover units). How is that not worth a 5th round pick when that’s where the player picked was expected to go?

It is not as simple as stacking them 1, 2, 3, and 4 with a position as multifaceted as Tight End. We didn’t select a third or fourth tight end, we selected our potential #1 J-TE after failing to sign one in free agency. 

Maybe I'll have to adjust to our new Offense if it's true that we'll use more 3 TE sets, I just don't see how you can take one of Thielen/Diggs/Cook off the field for extended periods of time to justify using 3 TE sets a lot, time will tell but thats just how I feel.  However if we do end up using lots of 3 TE's sets and Conklin plays that role I'd probably give the grade a B because as I said the talent is there.  As it stands I think we use far more 3 WR sets and traditional sets so without a clear upgrade I just don't see Conklin as anything more than a TE3 for the foreseeable as much as people tend to think Rudolph is cut or gone in the next couple years or sooner, I just don't see that as the case, he's 28yrs old and could very well play here the entire life of Conklin's rookie contract and that to me means he's blocked atleast with how I still envision the offense.  Now as I said earlier if we do manage to incorporate more 3 TE's sets than obviously I feel better about the pick.  With everything time will tell.

2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Where did he say anything about running 3-TE sets for extended periods of time? Even if Conklin is the "TE3", not every 2-TE set will be Rudolph and Morgan. Conklin will still see the field plenty.

He didn't, I did because that's the only way he's getting on the field unless injury happens.  I disagree that he's going to see the field plenty, how do you know this?

4 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Just like how not every 2-WR set is Diggs and Thielen, not every 2-TE set will be Rudolph and Morgan.

No, just like how Treadwell was supposed to see the field a lot, how's that worked out? And at the time of Treadwell supposed to be seeing the field he didn't have the talent ahead of him that Conklin does. He's not a better blocker than Morgan and I don't think he's a better receiving TE than Rudolph. 

DeFillipo has been quoted as saying he wanted a mismatch weapon at tight end; Conklin compares favorably to a, larger, Trey Burton (who we tried to sign) - Burton saw 26% of the offensive snaps last season (would have been closer to 30% but he missed a game) and caught five touchdowns in that time frame. He also say nearly 70% of the teams special teams snaps. Morgan was on the field for us 35% of the time and 24% of the special teams.

There are going to be some formations that call for a two tight end set, but one of the tight ends flexed away from the line... who's better there? Morgan or Conklin? (Easy answer). There will be two tight end sets with two in-line tight ends... that will be Rudolph and Morgan. There may be some packages without Rudolph on the field and just Morgan and Conklin. He doesn't have to be a better blocker than Morgan, or a better receiver than Rudolph. He has to be good at what he's called on to do. Move around the formation, and create mismatches. He's better at that than both Rudolph and Morgan if you're basing it on his college film.

You're making it far too black and white of an argument.

1 minute ago, rpmwr19 said:

DeFillipo has been quoted as saying he wanted a mismatch weapon at tight end; Conklin compares favorably to a, larger, Trey Burton (who we tried to sign) - Burton saw 26% of the offensive snaps last season (would have been closer to 30% but he missed a game) and caught five touchdowns in that time frame. He also say nearly 70% of the teams special teams snaps. Morgan was on the field for us 35% of the time and 24% of the special teams.

There are going to be some formations that call for a two tight end set, but one of the tight ends flexed away from the line... who's better there? Morgan or Conklin? (Easy answer). There will be two tight end sets with two in-line tight ends... that will be Rudolph and Morgan. There may be some packages without Rudolph on the field and just Morgan and Conklin. He doesn't have to be a better blocker than Morgan, or a better receiver than Rudolph. He has to be good at what he's called on to do. Move around the formation, and create mismatches. He's better at that than both Rudolph and Morgan if you're basing it on his college film.

You're making it far too black and white of an argument.

You could be right and if they use Conklin enough(and he proves worthy of being on the field) I have no problem with the pick, I just don't think he'll see that much playing time.  If I'm wrong when the season comes along then let me know about it but you guys aren't going to change my mind on how I see things right now

3 minutes ago, Boda said:

You could be right and if they use Conklin enough(and he proves worthy of being on the field) I have no problem with the pick, I just don't think he'll see that much playing time.  If I'm wrong when the season comes along then let me know about it but you guys aren't going to change my mind on how I see things right now

Not trying to change your mind, just understand the argument.

It's an interesting draft class for the Vikings. I don't actually think there is a weak pick in the bunch, however, I don't think it's that flashy a draft. It's going to be a draft, my opinion, that we look back at and probably see four to five starters/rotation players with Hughes, Holmes, Carlson, O'Neill and another player. It's just not going to be a draft where we have that wow star from it.

2 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

It's an interesting draft class for the Vikings. I don't actually think there is a weak pick in the bunch, however, I don't think it's that flashy a draft. It's going to be a draft, my opinion, that we look back at and probably see four to five starters/rotation players with Hughes, Holmes, Carlson, O'Neill and another player. It's just not going to be a draft where we have that wow star from it.

I'm fine with that. I'll take a solid class that contributes as solid starters and role players than what 2016 has provided us. I think Conklin should also be a solid role player.

I just don't understand the strategy behind this draft class.  It just doesn't make very good sense to me.

16 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Just curious, are people still upset about passing on OL for a "luxury pick" in last year's second round?

I am upset anytime the OL gets little to no attention.  The OL is THE most important unit on a football team.  Thinking that the Vikings will get adequate play from lower draft choices, developmental players, and other teams rejects is simply unconscionable in my opinion. 

Archived