2018 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

vike daddy

33 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Just curious, are people still upset about passing on OL for a "luxury pick" in last year's second round?

Only Feeney was worth it at that point considering Lamp was gone...and Feeney was still there for the taking in the 3rd round, but they ended up getting the better O-lineman in Elflein.  

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

Just curious, are people still upset about passing on OL for a "luxury pick" in last year's second round?

I don't recall anyone being upset.  The reaction was quite the opposite.  The team was in need of an offensive playmaker, so the pick was much more of a need than anything.  Taking BPA and getting great value as well.

23 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I don't recall anyone being upset.  The reaction was quite the opposite.  The team was in need of an offensive playmaker, so the pick was much more of a need than anything.  Taking BPA and getting great value as well.

"Terrible, just terrible."
Prove me wrong, as Cook was not who I would have selected"
"Mixon was the only RB worth the pick but should have been building the trenches."
"CRAP PICK"
"I love Cook, but don't know how i feel drafting him this high when they have Mckinnon and Murray."
"Well. He might be good, but the best runner can't run behind our OL.... "

This is what the aggregate board would have dictated the draft be had we gone with a true, vertical, BPA approach (I'll leave the trades in as well)

1.30 - Will Hernandez - G - UTEP [#25 overall]
2.62 - Justin Reid - S - Stanford [#39 overall]
4.102 -  Josh Sweat - EDGE - Florida State [#57 overall]
5.157 - Jamarco Jones - T - Ohio State [#80 overall]
5.167 - Equanimeous St. Brown - WR - Notre Dame [#83 overall]
6.213 - Holton Hill - CB - Texas [#92 overall]
6.218 - Trenton Thompson - DT - Georgia [#136 overall]
7.225 - Bo Scarborough - RB - Alabama [#145 overall]

Skipped over players to assure multiple positions weren't drafted, and to accommodate injury falls like Mo Hurst and Tyrell Crosby I skipped over them unless they were drafted in the same round.  Example, Josh Sweat fell due to injury, but was selected in the same round as Jalyn Holmes, so I made the selection

9 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

This is what the aggregate board would have dictated the draft be had we gone with a true, vertical, BPA approach (I'll leave the trades in as well)

1.30 - Will Hernandez - G - UTEP [#25 overall]
2.62 - Justin Reid - S - Stanford [#39 overall]
4.102 -  Josh Sweat - EDGE - Florida State [#57 overall]
5.157 - Jamarco Jones - T - Ohio State [#80 overall]
5.167 - Equanimeous St. Brown - WR - Notre Dame [#83 overall]
6.213 - Holton Hill - CB - Texas [#92 overall]
6.218 - Trenton Thompson - DT - Georgia [#136 overall]
7.225 - Bo Scarborough - RB - Alabama [#145 overall]

Skipped over players to assure multiple positions weren't drafted, and to accommodate injury falls like Mo Hurst and Tyrell Crosby I skipped over them unless they were drafted in the same round.  Example, Josh Sweat fell due to injury, but was selected in the same round as Jalyn Holmes, so I made the selection

I'd love that draft. I'm still really happy with how the 2018 draft went

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

This was mine!

Admittedly, my reaction was due to being misinformed of his off the field issues, moreso than the player/position. 

:D I kinda figured as much. Still wanted to use it to fit my narrative though.....

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

"Terrible, just terrible."
Prove me wrong, as Cook was not who I would have selected"
"Mixon was the only RB worth the pick but should have been building the trenches."
"CRAP PICK"
"I love Cook, but don't know how i feel drafting him this high when they have Mckinnon and Murray."
"Well. He might be good, but the best runner can't run behind our OL.... "

Where did you get these? I can't find the old threads anywhere since the site moved.  Im pretty sure I was very excited about the pick.  Would have liked Mixon to but the value was there

On 4/30/2018 at 3:43 PM, rpmwr19 said:

Not trying to change your mind, just understand the argument.

I don't know if I can really explain my reasodning other than what I have.  Until I see a different offensive scheme that would include him more I just don't like the pick.  I can see the reasoning behind it which is why I gave them a C.  I don't think he was this amazing talent that fell and I'm not sure about the fit, I guess I just don't get why people have such a huge problem with my C grade.  He went around where the aggregate board had him going or atleast I believe he did

On 4/29/2018 at 7:03 PM, Krauser said:

Can I ask what you don't like about Hughes? I didn't think corner was a need but if you're drafting a CB at #30, he seems like a good pick based on his stats and his highlights at least. Does he make a lot of mistakes if you watch full games?

He has talent, can't deny that.  I just was never that high on him, what I seen never really wowed me granted I didn't watch much this past year but usually there are a couple CB's that just leave me with that Wow factor and I didn't get that from him.  I've heard people say he has Revis ability so I'm holding out hope that I'm completely wrong and he becomes a stud. 

8 minutes ago, Boda said:

Where did you get these? I can't find the old threads anywhere since the site moved.  Im pretty sure I was very excited about the pick.  Would have liked Mixon to but the value was there

If you scroll over "Browse" at the top of the page and click on "Archive" it'll take you to the old site.

You were a fan by the way:
"Love the pick. I've said all along I wasn't a fan of a RB unless a special talent were available, well Cook is a special talent."

Majority of the rookies #'s are on the vikings site now. 

Hughes #21

O'Neill #75

Holmes ??

Conklin #83

Carlson #7

Aruna #61

Gossett #73

Downs #57

Hill #37

Matthews #38

Thomas #32

Wieneke #9

Pujols #6

Boone #44

Badet #85

Foreman #84

Mata'afa #51

Robertson #18

Pettway #36

Dooley #58

5 hours ago, Klomp said:

If you scroll over "Browse" at the top of the page and click on "Archive" it'll take you to the old site.

You were a fan by the way:
"Love the pick. I've said all along I wasn't a fan of a RB unless a special talent were available, well Cook is a special talent."

Maybe that's the difference for me as I don't view Hughes as an elite talent.  Definitely a talented kid but I think when making a luxury pick when you have needs that the luxury pick needs to be an elite talent.

I think Hughes will be good. I just would have taken an OL (whomever they felt was a starter day one....and there will be several taken after 30). 

I still think the coach's greatest talent is convincing his GMs to keep taking DBs early.....

Archived