2018 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

vike daddy

16 hours ago, MattVikings said:

I'd love that draft. I'm still really happy with how the 2018 draft went

This. I think we still got very solid value. It will come down to how these picks pan out. I'm confident Hughes will work because of Zimmer's coaching pedigree, and I trust Sporano on the OL.

12 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I think Hughes will be good. I just would have taken an OL (whomever they felt was a starter day one....and there will be several taken after 30). 

I still think the coach's greatest talent is convincing his GMs to keep taking DBs early.....

For years it felt like we never addressed secondary and had bad players back there to be passed on over and over. They're still overcompensating for that. 

37 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

For years it felt like we never addressed secondary and had bad players back there to be passed on over and over. They're still overcompensating for that. 

Very few of the people involved in those decisions are still with the organization, so I can't say that...

Furthermore, Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes were taken prior to the coach's arrival...and the likes of Tyrell Johnson, Cedric Griffin and Chris Cook were taken in the 2nd round in years' past to attempt to resolve those issues.  They all failed.  If anything, it was the Denny Green era that failed to address the lack of secondary players, trying to address it with players off the scrap heap and WRs like Robert Tate.

I don't believe they are overcompensating for past eras...they are dealing with the offenses that exist today and the way they have to attack them...which is with a lot more secondary players.  It's about numbers and depth.  They aren't the only team doing it...our own nemesis, the Cheeseheads to the East, have taken 7 DBs in the first 2 rounds over the last 4 years and  the Patriots have taken 3 in the 2nd round in the same period.    

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:
16 hours ago, SouthernViking said:

Wieneke #9

Hmmmmm, the single digit curse...unfortunate. 

Interesting. Isn't because of a lack of numbers,12 and 16 are both available.

Analyzing more numbers, I like Mike Boone as #44 more than Roc Thomas as #32.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

Hopefully Thomas makes the 53 then changes to a better number like #24.

On 2018-05-01 at 1:10 PM, rpmwr19 said:

This is what the aggregate board would have dictated the draft be had we gone with a true, vertical, BPA approach (I'll leave the trades in as well)

1.30 - Will Hernandez - G - UTEP [#25 overall]
2.62 - Justin Reid - S - Stanford [#39 overall]
4.102 -  Josh Sweat - EDGE - Florida State [#57 overall]
5.157 - Jamarco Jones - T - Ohio State [#80 overall]
5.167 - Equanimeous St. Brown - WR - Notre Dame [#83 overall]
6.213 - Holton Hill - CB - Texas [#92 overall]
6.218 - Trenton Thompson - DT - Georgia [#136 overall]
7.225 - Bo Scarborough - RB - Alabama [#145 overall]

Skipped over players to assure multiple positions weren't drafted, and to accommodate injury falls like Mo Hurst and Tyrell Crosby I skipped over them unless they were drafted in the same round.  Example, Josh Sweat fell due to injury, but was selected in the same round as Jalyn Holmes, so I made the selection

Apparently, Vikings' brass think Hernandez's skills don't fit their team's system well, and think that O'Niell will add the needed strength and bulk, and be a top notch tackle in their system, for many years, despite being less effective than Hernandez in their 1st, and perhaps 2nd year.

ESPN draft pundit Todd McShay put out a list of his favorite draft classes from last week and included the Vikings on his list:

"This team didn't have a lot of holes to fill but did a nice job adding some in key need areas. To me, Minnesota's biggest need was offensive line (tackle or guard) -- and it addressed that with Brian O'Neill at No. 62 (and doubled down with Colby Gossett in the sixth). [O’Neill] needs some technique refinement but is one of the most athletic tackles in the draft. I thought Mike Hughes (No. 30 overall) was the second-best cover corner in the draft, so getting him at 30 was a good value. He's insurance if Minnesota doesn't want to pay Trae Waynes after this year. Jalyn Holmes (No. 102) has a lot of potential to contribute to the D-line rotation, and I loved the move to trade up for kicker Daniel Carlson in the fifth round.

Undrafted signings Holton Hill and Hercules Mata'afa could make the roster as well. Minnesota probably got three starters, a couple of contributors and at least a couple of guys with upside in this draft. Nice work by general manager Rick Spielman."

http://www.vikings.com/news/lunch-break/article-1/Lunchbreak-Vikings-Rank-Among-Todd-McShays-Favorite-Draft-Classes/44d5d853-0221-4f73-b53c-9c356e5f13a8?sf188708798=1

The Vikings didn’t waste any time getting four draft picks signed.

Minnesota announced Thursday it has agreed to terms with Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson, a fifth-round pick, Appalachian State guard Colby Gossett, a sixth-round pick, Tulane defensive end Ade Aruna, a sixth-round pick, and Cal linebacker Devante Downs, a seventh-round pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/05/03/vikings-sign-four-draft-picks/

I like the new rookie wage scale. 

On 5/2/2018 at 1:49 PM, Klomp said:

Matt Asiata should forever hold that #44 number as a Viking. Never forget that 3.5 career ypc.

Archived