2018 Minnesota Vikings Draft Class

vike daddy

I think part of the disparity is because there's a difference between the mindset of a fan saying "we just need OL help" and the team saying "we need a OL pick do be able to do X,Y and Z." We just want them to draft somebody. They want to draft the right guy. Maybe someone like Hernandez will be a good player, but if he doesn't fit the things our staff requires from the position, is that really the right pick? Will you be okay with the pick in 5 years no matter what because "hey, at least they addressed OL early instead of drafting another DB"? Or would you be upset about the pick because he didn't fit the requirements of the job?

25 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Doesn't need strength, dude has insane raw athleticism, just lacks in technique. In the NC  State game, he gave Bradley Chubb FITS.

Um... yeah, he mostly definitely needs strength.  He's not a technically raw player. His technique is actually quite good, especially when you factor in his limited time in the position.  His problem is core and lower body strength.

1 minute ago, rpmwr19 said:

I don't find it shocking we've spent many high picks at the corner position. Zimmer came from Cincinnati who drafted Joseph, Hall (back to back years), Kirkpatrick, and Dennard (2012 and 2014). Zimmer was only there for one of those picks, but it's a philosophy he clearly bought into.

First four years as Dallas DC, they drafted DBs in the first two rounds. Seven DB picks in the first 4 rounds over a 5-year span.

52 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

I don't find it shocking we've spent many high picks at the corner position. Zimmer came from Cincinnati who drafted Joseph, Hall (back to back years), Kirkpatrick, and Dennard (2012 and 2014). Zimmer was only there for one of those picks, but it's a philosophy he clearly bought into.

i'm not sure it's a philosophy but more a necessity. the defense we run requires the corners to be able to cover man which is a coveted skill. getting a corner with that kind of talent requires a high pick. conversely, seattle with their cover 3 scheme doesn't need that so they can find big, long corners in the later rounds of the draft and they can do well in their scheme even though they aren't the most naturally talented. 

i still remember a quote from zimmer in his first training camp with us, he told our corners:

You can find a cover 2 corner anywhere, I'm telling ya. We go down to 7/11 at Bloomington and I can get one.

can't find an actual video but here's a vine: 

19 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

Yeah...a tad bit emotional grading there. 

Really not really though, I didn't grade them on talent alone, I graded them on talent plus draft spot. 

- I was never high on Hughes & Josh Jackson(Packers) think I even said so pre draft in one of the threads. 

-O'Neil is a project OT that needs to add strength, I feel with the run on OL that forced our hand to take the best player available only IMO they didnt even do that, time will tell but I liked Jamarco Jones much more. 

-Absolutely hated the Conklin pick, yes there's talent but again taken to early and IMO not good enough to get past the top 2 and possibly Bell as well so IMO I see a 4th TE who might not even make the team.  I still feel Bucky Hodges was a much better prospect and he couldn't make our roster.  

-Holmes I had as average, could go either way I can see why we took him but if it works out IDK thats why I graded a C

-Not a fan of Downs at all, he fits Zimmers mold of liking bigger players but again I wasn't high on him

-As for Carlson, way too early to take a Kicker IMO.  I wouldn't touch one before the 7th unless they were special, I feel like we have another Blair Walsh but again time will tell.

-Gossett was good to great value IMO at our biggest position of need, this is the thing we should be doing adding mid-late round guys that have talent to develop

-Aruna was good value as well. a 6'5" guy that has a bunch of talent just needs someone to mold it and I can't think of a better person than Zimmer, maybe this could have been a C+ - B- but I just decided to go with a C 

So where exactly is this emotional grading?  I'm being realistic even if some of you don't want to see/hear that or disagree.  Ive never been one to shy away from putting my opinion out there and letting the year play out to see who's right because at this time its pointless to argue one way or the other until they get on the field and we can actually see but until then its just opinions from everyone you talk to but no one knows who's right & wrong

How did we do? If history tells us anything, it's that Vikings fans are pessimists, and this class will probably outperform the naysayers' doom and gloom prognostications. A couple guys will surprise, a couple will disappoint. We'll likely end up with a draft class somewhere in the top half when all is said and done. Meanwhile, the draft "winners" will probably have a couple of busts, and when we look back at this draft in 2-3 years, the "winners" won't look as good, and the "losers" won't look as bad. 

Let them play a few downs before calling any of the picks "busts," otherwise, I'm sure Zygi will be happy to look at your resumes. 

37 minutes ago, Boda said:

-As for Carlson, way too early to take a Kicker IMO.  I wouldn't touch one before the 7th unless they were special, I feel like we have another Blair Walsh but again time will tell.

could you explain why...?

10 minutes ago, rpmwr19 said:

I don’t understand how Conklin was taken too early? He went within his projected area. 

I don't really get it either.

I think fans tend to judge TEs solely on freakish athletic ability more than football ability. Everyone was drooling over Bucky Hodges and MyCole Pruitt, while Rhett Ellison gets labeled on draft day as "Jeff Dugan 2.0"

23 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

could you explain why...?

not trying to put words in boda's mouth but maybe it's in reference to carlson's poor season in 2017? he only hit 75% of his field goals.

he was quite excellent the previous two years though. breaking down his makes/misses by distance:

1-19 yards - 2/2

20-29 yards - 13/15

30-39 yards - 17/18

40-49 yards - 11/12

50+ yards - 8/12

total: 51/59= 86.4%

also, his career long was 56 yards so he definitely has a bigger leg than kai forbath. also: even though it's a closer distance in the NCAA carlson was 198/198 on PATs in college.

23 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

How did we do? If history tells us anything, it's that Vikings fans are pessimists, and this class will probably outperform the naysayers' doom and gloom prognostications. A couple guys will surprise, a couple will disappoint. We'll likely end up with a draft class somewhere in the top half when all is said and done. Meanwhile, the draft "winners" will probably have a couple of busts, and when we look back at this draft in 2-3 years, the "winners" won't look as good, and the "losers" won't look as bad. 

Let them play a few downs before calling any of the picks "busts," otherwise, I'm sure Zygi will be happy to look at your resumes. 

I assume we should see them play before calling it a good draft too?

I don't think anyone is claiming to be smarter, or to be applying for a job. I think this is a site to discuss the draft, pros and cons,  but some here clearly don't want that.

The CB will be good. I have no idea if the OL is fixed, I have my doubts. Cousins is not nearly as mobile as keenum, I expect more sacks than last year. The others? The kicker will be here, the others are fairly random in how they will do, if draft data tells us anything.

Archived