Round 1 Pick 28: S Terrell Edmunds

Armsteeld2

The Steelers shocked everyone by selecting Virginia Tech S Terrell Edmunds in the first round of the draft.  Draft analysts were speechless!  Instead of talking about the pick, they focused on Ryan Shazier (which was great) but their facial expressions showed their disdain for the pick.  

Edmunds is a high energy big hitter who has the speed and range to control the back of the secondary.  He also is solid in playing the ball based on the film I’ve seen of him.  Was he someone I thought the Steelers would take in the first round?  No.  This pick itself will be pivotal in the success of this draft class.  For the record, I like.  Edmunds versatility will be huge in the upcoming season.

2 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Seems to bring a lot of confidence and swagger.  I haven't gone too deep on him yet, but I like what I see.  NFL bloodlines and a brother to compete with, sounds like a promising start to a potentially great career.  

He emanates confidence.  He already has an NFL body and hasn’t turned 22 yet.  He actually has 2 brothers in the NFL.  Coach Tomlin is building something special on the backend of the secondary as there are a couple of players added who have some interesting skills.

Safety Terrell Edmunds/Virginia Tech

Strengths:

• Does well in man coverage against bigger receivers

• Does well in covering TE’s across the field

• Good Hands

• Excellent size

• Quick Reaction in Coverage

• Excellent Speed

• Excellent skills as an ‘in the box safety’.

Weaknesses:

• Too often takes bad angles on tackles

• Plays with tight hips too often

• Doesn’t change direction smoothly

• Not a natural “Centerfielder”

Overview: This is the ideal Strong Safety for the Pittsburgh Steelers, a guy that can cover TE’s and help stop the run but still offers ability in coverage; think Troy Polamalu (not as talented as Troy but similar). He’ll play LB in sub-packages and SS on all other downs.

I will point out that his combine numbers are almost identical to Derwin James.  So he is physically close to James.  He had 11 more interceptions in college( but did play 11 more games than James).  He had more interceptions than Justin Reid and Jessie Bates.  All could be system but he has the hands to make the interception.

On 4/29/2018 at 8:29 AM, Armsteeld2 said:

He emanates confidence.  He already has an NFL body and hasn’t turned 22 yet.  He actually has 2 brothers in the NFL.  Coach Tomlin is building something special on the backend of the secondary as there are a couple of players added who have some interesting skills.

His father was a TE on the Dolphins and Colbert was in the FO at the time he was drafted.

Watching these what I see:

1st INT - Bad pass that he made a decent play on.

2nd INT - Stupid pass that he made a really good play on.

3rd INT - Tipped pass with a bit of right place right time.

4th INT - Just....one of those stupid INT's that Ben has where he throws it right to the defender.

5th INT - Stupid pass by the QB, didn't really see him do anything special.  Saw it's a tipped pass on replay.

6th INT - Nice play to outrace the WR to the spot and tracking the ball ok.

So, 2 bad passes, 2 tipped passes, 2 good plays.  Kinda mixed bag with the plays.  Manages to be around the ball a lot if 4 of them are coming off of bad passes and tipped passes.

25 minutes ago, jebrick said:

What do those coaches/execs know?  Draftniks had him as a 3rd round pick.

Or everyone could realize that the Draft is a crapshoot and no one knows if any player will make it.

True.  Athletic traits stand out and some of the better players are great athletes, however, not all of the great athletes are good football players.  Mental toughness and passion are things that can’t be measured.  

1 hour ago, August4th said:

What I’m not a fan of with tweets like this is why say after the draft. Feels like the Seahawks claiming someone called about Penny after they picked him. 

This seems more like after-the-fact justification. It could be that one coach/exec that had Edmunds top 15 was the Steelers.

This just feels like so many other picks the Steelers make. We fans might be stunned that they went that way, but we have no idea what the evaluations and discussions were prior to the draft. 09 Ziggy Hood was tragic, 12 DeCastro was a Godsend, 15 Dupree was a shocker.

As I said previously, if the Steelers had managed to acquire Evans in the 1st, Edmunds was likely there for them in the 2nd. Maybe the third as well. We'll never know.

Archived