Potential Trade?

LuckyIrish23

Curious to see if anyone else thinks that we could make a trade between now and the beginning of the year. With the 2019 1st Round pick from NO it provides us flexibility to get a experienced player now. Just some thoughts:

Denver Broncos- Shane Ray for 2019 2nd OR E. Sanders for 2019 3rd

Any other teams you think that are stacked at OLB/WR/TE which we could trade with?

If I am Gute I have that pick in an envelope in a briefcase in a safe behind a locked door and I won’t take it out until late April 2019.

At that point, with the draft right in front of me, I start scheming how to use it to fleece some of the other kids. 

59 minutes ago, LuckyIrish23 said:

Curious to see if anyone else thinks that we could make a trade between now and the beginning of the year. With the 2019 1st Round pick from NO it provides us flexibility to get a experienced player now. Just some thoughts:

Denver Broncos- Shane Ray for 2019 2nd OR E. Sanders for 2019 3rd

Any other teams you think that are stacked at OLB/WR/TE which we could trade with?

If we believe in Kendrell Brice or Maurice Evans, how about Ha Ha straight up for Ray? Eric Reid is still out there on the market and I know the baggage he comes with. No interest in Sanders at this point. 

Denver would be an interesting trade partner. With the addition of Chubb they now have him, Miller, Ray and Barrett at EDGE. Either Ray or Barrett would immediately be EDGE No. 3 for GB right now. Maybe Denver would part with one of them for a 3rd-4th rounder in 2019. I'd probably do it.

The only way I trade that pick is if NO starts the season 8-0 and it’s clear we’re not going to get a top 10-15 pick out of it. Maybe NO 1 for Demarious Thomas and Denver’s 2 or 3? He’d need a new contract but we have plenty coming off the books l. 

Otherwise I’m holding onto that thing and hoping we have the ammo to trade up for Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver 

FYI, the original post isnt suggesting we trade the No. 1 we got from NO. Several of the responses seem to be missing the point. It's suggesting that because we acquired that pick it gives us flexibility to perhaps deal a 2nd, 3rd, etc 2019 pick for a player to help us in 2018 because even if we did, we still have two No. 1s next year. 

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

FYI, the original post isnt suggesting we trade the No. 1 we got from NO. Several of the responses seem to be missing the point. It's suggesting that because we acquired that pick it gives us flexibility to perhaps deal a 2nd, 3rd, etc 2019 pick for a player to help us in 2018 because even if we did, we still have two No. 1s next year. 

IMO

Possible? Yes.

Likely? No.

I think that 2019 pick will only gain in negotiating power as next years draft rankings, talent pool and needs merge.

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

There's really only two types of players who are realistically going to be available.  The first are the guys who really aren't needle pushers and at best are going to command a late round conditional pick.  Quite frankly, those kind of players aren't going to do anything for the Packers that they probably couldn't find in FA.  Right now, EDGE, RG, and WR are probably our biggest needs.  As we've mentioned ad nauseam, quality pass rushers don't come available very often and not readily available via trade so I wouldn't count on them.  At this point, I'd imagine the Packers are comfortable going into 2018 with McCray, Murphy, and Madison competing for that starting RG gig.  WR probably is the most likely position that they could look for a band-aid, but given how many picks they threw at WR this year I'd imagine they're just going to throw a bunch of darts at the wall and see which one sticks.  Maybe they surprise us and sign Dez, but I'm not holding my breath.

The second type of player is the player whose probably a bit overpaid, and the team willing to deal them is probably contemplating releasing them anyways.  Again, this isn't really the type of player the Packers usually target.

I'll tell you a character of this 2019 NOLA pick that I like is that we can use it next year to bargain for enhanced draft position - plus - securing 2020 picks from that same team.

Rolling over that pick - translating it into additional future picks - can be invaluable.

Archived