Potential Trade?

LuckyIrish23

Just now, Leader said:

I'll tell you a character of this 2019 NOLA pick that I like is that we can use it next year to bargain for enhanced draft position - plus - securing 2020 picks from that same team.

Rolling over that pick - translating it into additional future picks - can be invaluable.

Ooh! I like it. Trade it to a sucky team in ‘19 for their 1st Round in 2020?

3 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Ooh! I like it. Trade it to a sucky team in ‘19 for their 1st Round in 2020?

There's too many variables (now) to nail it down - but depending on what we're trying to achieve - and with whom - yes - we can package swaps in 2019 which include some package (or include) 2020 picks. So you can "roll" that flexibility.

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

There's too many variables (now) to nail it down - but depending on what we're trying to achieve - and with whom - yes - we can package swaps in 2019 which include some package (or include) 2020 picks. So you can "roll" that flexibility.

As you mentioned, it's too early to make any sort of definitive projections but the fact that the Saints are the only team who doesn't currently own their 1st hurts in that regard.  There's a slew of teams who dealt their 2nd in 2019, including the Bears, Jets, Rams, Ravens, and Seahawks.  Those are the teams who if they're good enough might be willing to part with their '20 1st.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

As you mentioned, it's too early to make any sort of definitive projections but the fact that the Saints are the only team who doesn't currently own their 1st hurts in that regard.  There's a slew of teams who dealt their 2nd in 2019, including the Bears, Jets, Rams, Ravens, and Seahawks.  Those are the teams who if they're good enough might be willing to part with their '20 1st.

Exactly. I've not looked (or seriously considered) 2020 rankings at all - but we could be players at the table - and we'd be playing with House money.

Or - if the talent pool is deep enough and we're situated to get PLAYERS where we're selecting - we could cash in and make both selections.

Options. Nothing but options at this point.

Correction.....nothing but good options at this point.

Heck no, I'm double dipping Edge in the first and drafting Bulagas replacement in the 2nd. Someone will overpay Matthews next offseason and I don't see us getting into a bidding war for his services. You'll see a motivated Clay this year, he's a diva and wants another big payday.

13 minutes ago, St Vince said:

Heck no, I'm double dipping Edge in the first and drafting Bulagas replacement in the 2nd. Someone will overpay Matthews next offseason and I don't see us getting into a bidding war for his services. You'll see a motivated Clay this year, he's a diva and wants another big payday.

We said that about Perry a couple years ago and how did that pan out. I wouldn't be surprised if CMIII gives us a hometown discount in the event we would win a Super Bowl this year or came very close. Plus, I doubt he'd want to lose that State Farm sponsorship as a result of parting with Aaron.

I do think we should double-dip at EDGE in the event Fackrell either plateaus or slips AND if Gilbert doesn't take the step forward we think he'll take. On the other hand, will there be two EDGE guys worth it in the 1st? I can't help but think that we either package the two firsts to move into the top-10, possibly top-5, or we trade one away for more picks. We're still sitting pretty due to New Orleans' fanboy move.

The leverage to the NO pick is going to be based on the thought of it being in the late 20's in round 1. It only increases in value if the Saints start to suck next year and it becomes obvious they will be picking in the top half of the draft. By then the trade deadline has passed. 

Teams who would trade with us for either NO's #1 or our 2nd or 3rd are expecting those picks to come at the bottom of the round. 

Having said that I am not for trading next years picks for a player. Given my distaste for Ha Ha, I"m all for trading him for Ray straight up. Only if the coaching staff is convinced in Brice or Evans, or we get Eric Reid. 

27 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Matt Miller previewed 2019 class...two biggest strengths for the first round? Oline and Dline.

I reckon there's about 12 edge guys to watch this year who might be 1st round picks.  Like the entire Clemson DL might go round 1 (Ferrell got a "top 10" DAB grade and went back to school) and Little Bosa is going to be in the conversation to go #1 overall.

1 minute ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I reckon there's about 12 edge guys to watch this year who might be 1st round picks.  Like the entire Clemson DL might go round 1 (Ferrell got a "top 10" DAB grade and went back to school) and Little Bosa is going to be in the conversation to go #1 overall.

I'd take my chances with Bosa right now if they'd let us. 

4 hours ago, Cadmus said:

I'd have to think long and hard about Bosa for our 2019 3rd. 

The facts are the facts.... we can't draft anyone that's even marginally productive in the 3rd Round. 

Which Bosa are we talking about here? Joey? 

It isn't always straightforward projecting the Packers needs (in 2019 draft) this early, but as it stands now, DB should be off the list (for an early pick) as it has been over-invested in recently (seven of the ten 1st and 2nd round picks in 2014-15-16-17-18 have been DBs). High tier Edge players and WRs have been neglected.

I think the Packers will be lucky if they get a starter level outside WR out of the 2018 draft, so that could easily be on the table in 2019's first two rounds.

OT is a question mark. If Spriggs advances in his third year (last chance for him, really), or one of Murphy/Madison prove viable at RT, then the need lessens. If there is no credible RT, apart from Bulaga, then the need is high..........and it usually takes a high pick to get a starter-level tackle.

Edge rusher has been a popular choice for a high pick for years, 2019 might be a good year to finally get one. Also, CMIII's contract ends this year (UFA in 2019), Perry's under contract until the end of 2021. Someone like Ferrell would look good in the G&G, but it might take a trade of both 1st rounders in 2019 to secure him, maybe more.

TE. Jimmty Graham is 32, and there isn't much behind him. Not sure of the quality TEs on offer here. Stanford's Kaden Smith maybe ? This could be a spot addressed later, depending on the value when the time comes to pick.......and the need at other positions.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 8:12 AM, tfalkgopack said:

The only way I trade that pick is if NO starts the season 8-0 and it’s clear we’re not going to get a top 10-15 pick out of it. Maybe NO 1 for Demarious Thomas and Denver’s 2 or 3? He’d need a new contract but we have plenty coming off the books l. 

Otherwise I’m holding onto that thing and hoping we have the ammo to trade up for Nick Bosa or Ed Oliver 

Seriously?

Two possible scenarios for next year with the two picks in the first.  Assumptions: the Saints pick is #30 and ours is #32

1.  Package both and trade up as high as possible based upon their combined value to grab a stud

2.  Use the higher of the two picks to draft BPA and trade the second to add more picks in the second round and beyond.

Archived