UDFA: MLB Matthew Thomas

Armsteeld2

Speed.  Matthew Thomas is fast and explosive.  Thomas went undrafted out of Florida State University but was someone the Steelers had in for a visit before the draft.  The Steelers have holes in their MLB unit and look for Thomas (barring learning the scheme) unseating one of the backups.

Matthew measured 6-3 232 pounds at the combine and ran a 4.58 in the 40 yard dash.  That speed is something Coach Tomlin has been looking for since the end of the season.  Thomas isn’t just a speed player as he takes on blockers well. Why did he go undrafted with those skills?  Supposedly he has a learning issue but that is unconfirmed.

Typical FSU linebacker, very good athlete. Would have definitely been drafted in the middle of the draft if his career wasn’t derailed by injuries and suspensions. Surprised they brought him in being that they are on a high character movement, but he was very good at the shrine game and practices. Sub 4.6 speed, has range and can cover. Could make the club, should make PS.

3 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Typical FSU linebacker, very good athlete. Would have definitely been drafted in the middle of the draft if his career wasn’t derailed by injuries and suspensions. Surprised they brought him in being that they are on a high character movement, but he was very good at the shrine game and practices. Sub 4.6 speed, has range and can cover. Could make the club, should make PS.

What was he suspended for?  I normally don’t check out character and focus only on on field skills.

Red Flags:

Alright so here they are, as a freshman he had to have surgery on his shoulder he missed the entire season.

In 2014 he missed four games due to violating team rules he still played in Eight Games That season.

During the 2015 season his mother died of lung disease and it reportedly affected his focus in school he was deemed ineligible academically until he missed that and out of season.

This is his overview:

"Thomas is lacking in many of the areas teams covet in linebacker play. His instincts are poor, he doesn't always play with a competitive demeanor, he's not a downhill player and he lacks play strength and productivity for the position. However, Thomas does possess a long frame with outstanding play speed and the potential to make plays. It's his athletic traits and "potential" that will give him a shot as a WILL linebacker who will need to excel on special teams to stick with a team long-term."

according to nfl.com

47 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

"Thomas is lacking in many of the areas teams covet in linebacker play. His instincts are poor, he doesn't always play with a competitive demeanor, he's not a downhill player and he lacks play strength and productivity for the position. However, Thomas does possess a long frame with outstanding play speed and the potential to make plays. It's his athletic traits and "potential" that will give him a shot as a WILL linebacker who will need to excel on special teams to stick with a team long-term."

This seems like a write-up on a different guy.  Doesn't sound right AT ALL based on what I've seen. 

4 minutes ago, JLambert58 said:

Take a look at him.  He's like VW on sterioids. 

I posted a few highlights of him and 2 others I think can actually make the roster in the other thread.  When watching the highlights the one thing (flaw) that I do notice is that he seems like has a tendency to over pursue.  I don't see anything wrong with his ability to engage in terms of his speed, he appears physical, he's probably average in coverage he seems like he relies more on 'visual and guessing' than actual instincts there.  But as a raw specimen he appears he has all the tools you want to be able to groom a future 'potential' starter.

If they can keep him clean, watch out. Almost every FSU highlight he is engaged with a OG. He holds his ground and sheds fairly well but hopefully Hargrave/Frazier/etc...can eat up that OG. I feel like I need to temper my expectations. It's unlike me to pour so much praise on a guy. Unless it's a Vol. :$

Archived