How did our rivals do draft wise?(Compared to us)

Calvert28

Pretty simple thread. How well do you think these draft classes helped our rivals and how do they stack up against us.

Dallas Cowboys

1 (19) Leighton Vander Esch I LB I Boise State Broncos
2 (50) Connor Williams I OL I Texas Longhorns
3 (81) Michael Gallup I WR I Colorado State Rams
4 (116) Dorance Armstrong Jr. I EDGE I Kansas Jayhawks
4 (137) Dalton Schultz I TE I Stanford Cardinal
5 (171) Mike White I QB I Western Kentucky Hilltoppers
6 (193) Chris Covington I LB I Indiana Hoosiers
6 (208) Cedrick Wilson I WR I Boise St. Broncos
7 (236) Bo Scarbrough I RB I Alabama Crimson Tide

Washington Redskins

Round 1, Pick 13 (No. 13 overall): Da’Ron Payne, DT, Alabama

Round 2 Pick 27 (No. 59 overall) Derrius Guice, RB, LSU

Round 3, Pick 10 (74th overall) Geron Christian, OT, Louisville

Round 4, Pick 9 (No. 109 overall) Troy Apke, S, Penn State

Round 5, Pick 26 (No. 163 overall) Tim Settle, DL, Virginia Tech

Round 6, Pick 23 (No. 197 overall) Shaun Dion Hamilton, LB, Alabama

Round 7, Pick 23 (No. 241 overall) Greg Stroman, CB, Virginia Tech

Round 7, Pick 38 (No. 256 overall) Trey Quinn, WR, SMU

Philadelphia Eagles

2nd - No. 49 - Dallas Goedert, TE, South Dakota State

4th - No. 125 - Avonte Maddox, CB, Pittsburgh

4th - No. 130 - Josh Sweat, DE, Florida State

6th - No. 206 - Matt Pryor, OT, TCU

7th - No. 233 - Jordan Mailata, OT, South Sydney Rabbitohs (Australian rugby player)

New York Giants

Round 1 (2nd overall): RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State
Round 2 (34th): G Will Hernandez, UTEP
Round 3 (66th): LB Lorenzo Carter, Georgia
Round 3 (69th): DT B.J. Hill, N.C. State
Round 4 (108th): QB Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
Round 5 (139th): DT R.J. McIntosh, Miami

I think the Giants smoked the draft. They got the best offensive player in the draft, got a mauler at guard and a really nice LB in Carter. They are going to be hard to stop on offense with OBJ coming back. 

The Redskins had a very nice draft as well. They made a commitment to improving the trenches and stopping the run. Guice is also a punishing RB who can get the "dirty" yards for them when needed.

Comparing it to our draft, I would say our draft class was just a notch below the Giants (who had the best draft imo), with the Redskins coming in 3rd.  I still feel as though this team needs an impact safety to lead the secondary and a quality run stuffing DT. But getting LVE at 19 then Williams at 50 was incredible. We desperately needed a WR and Gallup was a good selection.

The trade for Austin sealed it for me though. I wanted a speedster so teams couldn't stack the box against Zeke and Austin can run with the best of them.

I think all three of them had really solid drafts.

In the short term, Barkley helps the Giants more than anybody else could at #2. I'm kind of glad they didn't grab their QB of the future. The Barkley pick looks better after the addition of Hernandez as well, and B.J. Hill is another in a long list of solid mid-round DT that the Giants drafted. Carter is interesting, but I'm not sure how good he really is - big upside though. Lauletta can be a decent backup, and I like the value of McIntosh.

The Redskins doubled down on Alabama defensive linemen, and they could pose problems for a while. Guice was a steal that late in the 2nd, and he's going to be a tough back to face for the next several years. I like the value for Settle, and Hamilton should be a nice boost to their LB group. Trey Quinn could become a nuisance to deal with.

Philly made good use of the few draft picks they had. Goedert was my TE1, and pairing him with Ertz is a pain. Sweat was tremendous value - he was poorly used at FSU and should be a better pro. Mailata is an absolute freak of nature. I hope he never figures it out technique wise.

The Giants had an awesome draft.  Barkley and Hernandez will really help their offense.  Carter is a good LB and Hill will become part of their DL rotation.  Great draft.  They are instant contenders.

Redskins had a solid draft.  Payne and Allen in the middle will be tough to run on.  Guice was a steal.  I like the OT and Settle was great value.

The Eagles getting Goedert will be a match up problem.  Sweat has the potential to be one part of the DL.

Our draft?  LVE will be a solid player.  Love Williams and think Gallup contributes from day one.  We still need a safety and don't know what we have in Schultz at TE.  Really like the Scarborough.  Can we figure out how to use Austin?  

21 minutes ago, Northland said:

The Giants had an awesome draft.  Barkley and Hernandez will really help their offense.  Carter is a good LB and Hill will become part of their DL rotation.  Great draft.  They are instant contenders.

Redskins had a solid draft.  Payne and Allen in the middle will be tough to run on.  Guice was a steal.  I like the OT and Settle was great value.

The Eagles getting Goedert will be a match up problem.  Sweat has the potential to be one part of the DL.

Our draft?  LVE will be a solid player.  Love Williams and think Gallup contributes from day one.  We still need a safety and don't know what we have in Schultz at TE.  Really like the Scarborough.  Can we figure out how to use Austin?  

1. Giants have positioned themselves this offseason to minimize Eli and thrive off the run. Like what we intended to do with Romo. With that D and the run game, playaction to OBJ, they have 10 games won already. On paper anyway.

2. Redskins still are going to lack the ability to stop the pass. Tougher up the middle and physical all around on O and D, but their secondary and pass rush still need work.

3. Goedert will be Wentzs best friend. The rest of their draft are contributors at best. They went role player route in the draft. Not usually the best method.

Dallas specific as per your own reasonable statements:

1. Gallup will contribute but has an uphill battle against experienced players. Dont expect him to push for a starting gig until later in the year when he can learn to finish blocks and get Williams off the field.

2. Williams slid for a reason. If he doesnt learn to keep his feet square under him, there will be a lot of defenses that scheme their blitz right at him and bowl him over.

3. The lack of safety or DBs at all tells me they think pretty highly of Woods and expect a real step forward from Heath. Which is fair really - Woods can cover a lot of ground and Heath is always, literally ALWAYS around the ball and in position to make a play. Frazier? Probably finds a nice role in for Woods on certain first downs.

4. Schultz is a do it all type. He can fill Hannahs role and learn to be a bigger role guy as time moves on. Dont expect much, but do expect a guy who helps in every area.

5. Scarborough will be a nice fourth wuarter guy, closing games out in the final 6, 5, 4 minutes when playing with a lead. Dont expect much else. Not fast enough to the hole for too much work earlier in a game.

6. You are asking if the staff that couldnt figure out a better role for Butler or Switzer can find a way to use Austin....

17 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Elite draft? Wow. That’s a lot better than I expected. I thought we had a solid B/B+ draft. I really wanted Mo Hurst, which would’ve pushed it to an A-/A draft. And that Scarbrough pick is MONEY. 

Scarborough is going to really push this teams 4th quarter play forward. With Elliott grinding all game and setting a pace with a lead, you let Scarborough handle 2 out of the final 3 drives and grind both clock and defender when they are at least most exhausted point. 

With Williams at guard, the offense again looks like it is properly prepared to ride the run game to success.

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Wow im surprised we received a grade like that considering all the misinformed outside our team thought WR was our biggest need after Dez.

We knew better than that. Like you and I have argued for years: WR is a luxury pick, not a need pick. 

1 minute ago, plan9misfit said:

We knew better than that. Like you and I have argued for years: WR is a luxury pick, not a need pick. 

Which is why it's surprising. Because Mayock and even Aikman saying it was our biggest need I figured we would have been penalized for that. Can't speak for those other teams but im glad the person who graded at least took a better review of our team then some of the "experts".

I haven't done my draft grade review yet. Usually I do it right after because usually im disappointed with how our drafts end up lol. Usually we get the first and maybe 2nd and 3rd good. Then the rest are very questionable. The only pick I really question was the Armstrong pick. But considering we have Rod and this guy's skill set it may turn out to be a real steal. Still hope we have a shot at Bosa next year though having to draft at pick 32 though. :D

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

1. Giants have positioned themselves this offseason to minimize Eli and thrive off the run. Like what we intended to do with Romo. With that D and the run game, playaction to OBJ, they have 10 games won already. On paper anyway.

2. Redskins still are going to lack the ability to stop the pass. Tougher up the middle and physical all around on O and D, but their secondary and pass rush still need work.

3. Goedert will be Wentzs best friend. The rest of their draft are contributors at best. They went role player route in the draft. Not usually the best method.

Dallas specific as per your own reasonable statements:

1. Gallup will contribute but has an uphill battle against experienced players. Dont expect him to push for a starting gig until later in the year when he can learn to finish blocks and get Williams off the field.

2. Williams slid for a reason. If he doesnt learn to keep his feet square under him, there will be a lot of defenses that scheme their blitz right at him and bowl him over.

3. The lack of safety or DBs at all tells me they think pretty highly of Woods and expect a real step forward from Heath. Which is fair really - Woods can cover a lot of ground and Heath is always, literally ALWAYS around the ball and in position to make a play. Frazier? Probably finds a nice role in for Woods on certain first downs.

4. Schultz is a do it all type. He can fill Hannahs role and learn to be a bigger role guy as time moves on. Dont expect much, but do expect a guy who helps in every area.

5. Scarborough will be a nice fourth wuarter guy, closing games out in the final 6, 5, 4 minutes when playing with a lead. Dont expect much else. Not fast enough to the hole for too much work earlier in a game.

6. You are asking if the staff that couldnt figure out a better role for Butler or Switzer can find a way to use Austin....

One big difference is Romo could still move while Eli is a statue who has planter fasciitis issues. As i am from the NY area as well i watch the Giants as well. Eli can still throw the ball well problem is he has lost almost all of his mobility. He always is scared to get hit and either throws the ball up or into the ground to try to avoid big hits. .You don't see Eli stepping into throws willing to take hits like he used to. Drafting Barkley might help them short term but they are going to regret passing on Sam Darnold. If the Giants can't run the ball like Dallas can i don't think you will see a drastic jump in there offense.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Elite draft? Wow. That’s a lot better than I expected. I thought we had a solid B/B+ draft. I really wanted Mo Hurst, which would’ve pushed it to an A-/A draft. And that Scarbrough pick is MONEY. 

Im guessing Dallas had Hurst off there draft boards. Love the player but huge risk with heart issues. I too was hoping they drafted Hurst as well. 

11 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

One big difference is Romo could still move while Eli is a statue who has planter fasciitis issues. As i am from the NY area as well i watch the Giants as well. Eli can still throw the ball well problem is he has lost almost all of his mobility. He always is scared to get hit and either throws the ball up or into the ground to try to avoid big hits. .You don't see Eli stepping into throws willing to take hits like he used to. Drafting Barkley might help them short term but they are going to regret passing on Sam Darnold. If the Giants can't run the ball like Dallas can i don't think you will see a drastic jump in there offense.

Shurmur and Gettleman both have gone on record and said they viewed Webb as a first round grade in his draft. And when they got to see him throw at their little workout sessionna few weeks ago, it convinced them he has a lot of promise.

Then Shurmur went on to say that the run game they envision will make it possible for a young passer to step in and perform well. 

That said, Ive been saying that passing on a chance for a potential star QB is risky business. But if they truly view Webb as a potential replacement, even as a project who now has a year of refinement (say what you will of McAdoo as a HC, he has helped the release and mechanics of every QB he has had part in coaching up), then locking in a guy like Barkley helps Eli now while helping Webb, or any other young passer, later on. It is not too short sighted to go Barkley when you remember how a good ground helps the passing game quite a bit...and can mask inexperience at QB.

4 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Shurmur and Gettleman both have gone on record and said they viewed Webb as a first round grade in his draft. And when they got to see him throw at their little workout sessionna few weeks ago, it convinced them he has a lot of promise.

Then Shurmur went on to say that the run game they envision will make it possible for a young passer to step in and perform well. 

That said, Ive been saying that passing on a chance for a potential star QB is risky business. But if they truly view Webb as a potential replacement, even as a project who now has a year of refinement (say what you will of McAdoo as a HC, he has helped the release and mechanics of every QB he has had part in coaching up), then locking in a guy like Barkley helps Eli now while helping Webb, or any other young passer, later on. It is not too short sighted to go Barkley when you remember how a good ground helps the passing game quite a bit...and can mask inexperience at QB.

Hmm didn't know they were so high on Webb. I didn't hear or read that anywhere and i listen to WFAN every day. I still would have taken Darnold so i was kind of glad the Giants took Barkley. Being a Cowboys fan in Giant country is not easy at least for the last 10 years. The early nineties sure were nice.

Archived