How did our rivals do draft wise?(Compared to us)

Calvert28

4 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Hmm didn't know they were so high on Webb. I didn't hear or read that anywhere and i listen to WFAN every day. I still would have taken Darnold so i was kind of glad the Giants took Barkley. Being a Cowboys fan in Giant country is not easy at least for the last 10 years. The early nineties sure were nice.

Shurmur was on Wfan Friday before the draft talking about it.Listened to it on my ride home

Its also been in the NY Daily News almost..well..daily.

7 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Shurmur was on Wfan Friday before the draft talking about it.Listened to it on my ride home

Its also been in the NY Daily News almost..well..daily.

Oh ok i must have missed it. I don't listen to the new afternoon drive show. They kind of suck. Listen to Boomer in the morning. I read the ny post so that explains that. I listened to Francesca a lot who always killed Dak so i probably will start listening to the afternoon drive again. I can't stand Michael Kay either. 

2 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Oh ok i must have missed it. I don't listen to the new afternoon drive show. They kind of suck. Listen to Boomer in the morning. I read the ny post so that explains that. I listened to Francesca a lot who always killed Dak so i probably will start listening to the afternoon drive again. I can't stand Michael Kay either. 

They do suck but its that or modern music ... or that 104.3 that tends to play the same stuff every day.

At least Francesca is coming back on Tuesday for a few hours a day

17 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

They do suck but its that or modern music ... or that 104.3 that tends to play the same stuff every day.

At least Francesca is coming back on Tuesday for a few hours a day

I'll take classic rock all day then that garbage they put on WFAN. As much as people hate Mike as he is super arrogant i respect his opinion on sports even if i don't agree with him a lot of the times. I tried to call in when Mike was killing Dak his rookie year but it's almost impossible to get on that show.

28 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

I'll take classic rock all day then that garbage they put on WFAN. As much as people hate Mike as he is super arrogant i respect his opinion on sports even if i don't agree with him a lot of the times. I tried to call in when Mike was killing Dak his rookie year but it's almost impossible to get on that show.

Mike is just good radio. His opinions are usually wrong or miscalculated. And usually arent even his real opinions but more just the least popular comments he can make, said solely for ratings, angry callers, and good listening. Hes awesome, lol

I got through once right before the 2016 draft. I asked him if Dallas would make sense picking Zeke. His answer? That Zeke is the next great draft bust and that Dallas would be foolish to draft anyone who isnt playimg defensive back. :P

3 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

Elite draft? Wow. That’s a lot better than I expected. I thought we had a solid B/B+ draft. I really wanted Mo Hurst, which would’ve pushed it to an A-/A draft. And that Scarbrough pick is MONEY. 

They really, really, really like Michael Gallup.

Like, really like him. To get him and Connor on day 2, is really good value in their eyes, which probably has something to do with their overall opinion of our draft.

Personally, I'm right at a B+. It was a well executed, and pragmatic process, that filled pretty much every need outside of safety and outside of the Indiana linebacker, I don't really have any complaints about a single pick. How that stacks up with the rest of the division, I'm not entirely sure I really care. 

20 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Mike is just good radio. His opinions are usually wrong or miscalculated. And usually arent even his real opinions but more just the least popular comments he can make, said solely for ratings, angry callers, and good listening. Hes awesome, lol

I got through once right before the 2016 draft. I asked him if Dallas would make sense picking Zeke. His answer? That Zeke is the next great draft bust and that Dallas would be foolish to draft anyone who isnt playimg defensive back. :P

Well i didn't want Zeke either. I wanted Bosa or Ramsey but i get why they took Zeke as he fit perfectly to what they wanted to do. I am not someone who believes in taking running backs with high first round picks as you can find very good runners later in the draft. 

25 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Well i didn't want Zeke either. I wanted Bosa or Ramsey but i get why they took Zeke as he fit perfectly to what they wanted to do. I am not someone who believes in taking running backs with high first round picks as you can find very good runners later in the draft. 

You can find any position late in a draft but also just as easily find a bust too. Zeke was a sure thing just as Barkley was. Ronnie Brown, Carnell Williams and Cedric Benson, Trent Richardson, all had some question marks as.top picks. Zeke, Fournette, Barkley...the only questions for them was who was going to be able to stop them. Im a fan of picking the best players...and if you pick early you better select rhe guy you can picture being inducted in canton one day, and Zeke was that guy. Ramsey had questions (where.would he play?) Bosa had questions (Can he overpower NFL tackles like he did in college?) .. Zeke had no questions.

25 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

Like, really like him. To get him and Connor on day 2, is really good value in their eyes, which probably has something to do with their overall opinion of our draft.

Personally, I'm right at a B+. It was a well executed, and pragmatic process, that filled pretty much every need outside of safety and outside of the Indiana linebacker, I don't really have any complaints about a single pick. How that stacks up with the rest of the division, I'm not entirely sure I really care. 

Lot of people like the Gallup pick because they envision WR as the teams biggest need and Gallup has a projection on him as a high target kind of guy. But when you look closer, WR was maybe at best our third biggest position of need, and Gallup has potential as a high target player but projects even better as a do it all target, putting down some athletic sideline grabs, slipping some tacklers on inside catches, and beating the coverage on the occasional vertical stuff. 

Gallup was a really good pick, but people rating him so high as a potential 90 catch guy on an "offense needing a top target" is silly. He is going to be of serious use, but is not going to be an offensive focal point. And he doesnt need to be. Which puts him in a better position to be effective anyway. 

Guess what im saying is, I can say its a B+/A- sort of deal, but not because Gallup is a prime 90 catch guy like rhese "experts" say (the ones who have to study 32 teams with no time to be an expert on any particular one) but rather because Gallup is perfect for competing and contributing in a limited role on THIS offense which seems more poised to have a group of 60-70 catch guys than one guy grabbing 90-100 and a couple others getting 40-60. Wont be that kind of offense and Gallup projects even better as an opportunistic guy who will knock em dead when the opportunity is there, rather than being that feed-em-targets type.

More really good Rb's are found later in the draft the any other position. Not sure how you can debate that as the list is pretty long. They took Zeke i feel more because they knew he was perfect for there ball control offense to keep there defense off the field just like Murray was. Could thy have found a RB who could have been maybe not as dominate but pretty effective later in the draft probably considering how good there offensive line is. Nothing in the draft is a sure thing but with Dallas offensive line you could stick alot of RB's behind that line and they would have gotten 1200 yes. Geez even Mcfadden who is pedestrian at best got over 1000 yds. I remember bitching alot on this site after Zeke was selected. I also remember Blair Thomas being a sure thing as well. There is no sure thing in the NFL draft. Zeke did have character questions which they overlooked.

5 hours ago, Texasmade said:

At the beginning of the season, Gallup was considered by many to be the top WR in the country and Connor Williams was considered the second best OT, so there’s that.

• 1 month later...

After 5 long yrs of no run game & a putrid OL, the Giants improved both this offseason with FA signings & the draft. No longer can opposing defenses play that 2 high safety on us to take away OBJ over the top, they now have to respect the run game with SB in the backfield. Of course, if they wanna play off the box, that will open up the ground game big time, they stack the box to contain SB,  Eli will have OBJ, Shep, Engram & Barkley to throw to. The last few yrs, thanks to a putrid run game, the Giants bread & butter play has been the "slant" to OBJ.   That ends this yr.  With  Solder & Hernandez manning the left side, expect the Giants to be a heavy run team to the left these next few yrs.

You all know how I feel about the draft anymore. Sure it is important to find value and stock up on role players. But the real winning teams are doing it more with FA's and trade players than with draft picks now a days.

With that said, on paper I rank them this way:

1. NYG

2. Tie Dal/Wash

3. Philly

All teams did well in the draft, but to my original point, look what Philly did in FA this year already and then the draft. The ONLY player that will see any real time on the field from their draft will be Goedert. They have 3 or 4 players that will immediately make an impact on this team from FA.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/philadelphia-eagles/

21 hours ago, thanos0341 said:

After 5 long yrs of no run game & a putrid OL, the Giants improved both this offseason with FA signings & the draft. No longer can opposing defenses play that 2 high safety on us to take away OBJ over the top, they now have to respect the run game with SB in the backfield. Of course, if they wanna play off the box, that will open up the ground game big time, they stack the box to contain SB,  Eli will have OBJ, Shep, Engram & Barkley to throw to. The last few yrs, thanks to a putrid run game, the Giants bread & butter play has been the "slant" to OBJ.   That ends this yr.  With  Solder & Hernandez manning the left side, expect the Giants to be a heavy run team to the left these next few yrs.

So you do expect the philosophy to change with the new running talent? The Giants have been such a pass happy team over the last few years, I'm wondering if they are still going to be throwing 70% of the time like always.

Archived