How did our rivals do draft wise?(Compared to us)

Calvert28

5 hours ago, DaBoys said:

So you do expect the philosophy to change with the new running talent? The Giants have been such a pass happy team over the last few years, I'm wondering if they are still going to be throwing 70% of the time like always.

Nope. Gettleman/Shurmer are run 1st type guys. Getting Solder in FA & Will Hernandez with the #2 pick tells me the Giants wanna go back to a smashmouth type O like we used to be under Parcells back in the 80s, early 90s & even under TC  from 2004-2008 when we had Tiki/BJ/AB. Once AB left in 2012, we have been an atrocious team in the running game dept. IMO, the biggest reason we have not made the playoffs 5 of the past 6 yrs. 

Look at the Saints last yr, they ran the ball for over 2000+yds & 23 TDs on the ground, Brees threw a lot less than in previous yrs & had the lowest TD total (23) in yrs & they still won 11 games & should have made it to the NFC title game where they possibly could have beaten Philly & gone on to the SB.

I use to love playing Tiki because he would fumble without fail. Then one day something happened and seemingly overnight he stopped fumbling completely, and was a relevant RB. Then the thunder and lightning with Jacob's. Tiki started doing damage later in his career. Those were some really bad Cowboys teams though

I am actually not a huge fan of the Redskins draft.

I thought Philly got some great players - especially at value. And it is interesting since they are all at positions of strength (TE / DL).

Giants landed two great starters. Hernandez is my favorite pick of theirs.

I have to say I think the Giants killed it. Although they passed on their future QB, all major needs were addressed to compete now. I will tell you I was sweating at the end of the first round, I really thought they were going to make a move for Lamar Jackson. Just think of how explosive an offense that included OBJ, Barkley, Jackson and Engram could’ve been. So happy Baltimore took him

22 hours ago, thanos0341 said:

Nope. Gettleman/Shurmer are run 1st type guys. Getting Solder in FA & Will Hernandez with the #2 pick tells me the Giants wanna go back to a smashmouth type O like we used to be under Parcells back in the 80s, early 90s & even under TC  from 2004-2008

The problem is, as long as Engram is your TE1, I'm not sure if you ever have a top rushing, smash-mouth, offense.  It's the same issue the Redskins have with Reed and the Seahawks had with Jimmy Graham, back when their OL was still respectable.  It's the curse of having a great receiving TE that is a terrible, or even below average, run blocker.

17 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Ahh, got it. Were you anti-Jonathan Allen as well?

He is one of the few I have liked - was pissed as hell when you landed him. My concern (and I feel it is justified) is that Bama players under Saban have been surrounded by so much talent they have to too so much less to 'win' than other college players. Not to say you can't land elite talent or that they can't be exceptional, but more so I prefer to shy way from. Kinda like Florida WR's. 

Just now, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

He is one of the few I have liked - was pissed as hell when you landed him. My concern (and I feel it is justified) is that Bama players under Saban have been surrounded by so much talent they have to too so much less to 'win' than other college players. Not to say you can't land elite talent or that they can't be exceptional, but more so I prefer to shy way from. Kinda like Florida WR's. 

That's fair.  It can also be a negative for them though.  They don't rack up the stats that good players on other teams do b/c they are surrounded by so much talent.  

I wasn't that high on Payne during the pre-draft process, I definitely wanted Vea over him.  And during the draft I wanted Derwin (but not Edmunds) over Payne.  But if Payne plays like he did during those college football playoffs, the pick was well worth it.  I just didn't love what I saw from him during the rest of his games.

18 hours ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

The problem is, as long as Engram is your TE1, I'm not sure if you ever have a top rushing, smash-mouth, offense.  It's the same issue the Redskins have with Reed and the Seahawks had with Jimmy Graham, back when their OL was still respectable.  It's the curse of having a great receiving TE that is a terrible, or even below average, run blocker.

Giants have a couple of good blocking TEs for that. Can't remember his name at the moment, but we got a TE from Minny that blocked for AP a few yrs including his 2000yd season a few yrs ago.  In this day & age, who knows how much of an emphasis on blocking they put on TEs in college. They all wanna catch passes & score TDs.

38 minutes ago, thanos0341 said:

Giants have a couple of good blocking TEs for that. Can't remember his name at the moment, but we got a TE from Minny that blocked for AP a few yrs including his 2000yd season a few yrs ago.  In this day & age, who knows how much of an emphasis on blocking they put on TEs in college. They all wanna catch passes & score TDs.

To have a "smashmouth type O", your primary TE needs to be a good blocker.  You can't tip the defense off on run vs. pass by taking the Engram out when it's a run, and expect to have a smash-mouth, run-heavy offense.  Not to mention, they'll want Engram on the field as often as possible.

I personally think the Giants will be much more efficient running the ball, but I definitely don't expect them to be among the leaders in bulk rushing stats at the end of the season... similar to the Redskins.  And a big reason for that are their respective TE1's.

That may be true, but just cuz you know the run is coming, doesn't always mean you're gonna stop it. They can bring in blocking TEs to sucker in the D & then use the play action to throw the ball. Having a player of SBs abilities will allow us to open up the playbook more than it has been In previous yrs. Opposing defenses cannot just assume we are gonna throw on 2nd & 7 0r 3rd & 5 anymore with a RB like Barkley in the backfield.

If Having Solder/Hernandez improves our OL even by 25% better than last yr, we will be effective in both running/passing the ball this yr. Darkwa & Gallman still managed to run for over 4.0 ypc behind our atrocious OL last yr so behind an even slightly improved OL, Barkley should be getting 4+ ypc as well.

Archived