Draft Grades

bucsfan333

11 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

DT Vita Vea - Not only did we get who we would have taken at seven, we traded back five spots and gained two extra second round picks. A

RB Ronald Jones II - He probably wasn't the best RB available, but with all the crazy surrounding Guice I can't complain. B

CB MJ Stewart - I thought there were better CBs available. But he's not bad by any means. Sounds like he's gonna compete to be our slot guy. C

CB Carlton Davis - We traded back a few spots and still got a better CB than the one we just took. He allowed 48% of the passes thrown at him last year to be completed. B

OL Alex Cappa - We traded up into the third and took him. I really like the pick. He's got a chance to take over one of our guard spots or maybe even RT. B

S Jordan Whitehead - I think there were a few safeties we could have taken earlier that were better. But I can't complain too much. He's athletic and tough. C

WR Justin Watson - Dude's a monster HWS guy. 6'3" 220lbs, runs a 4.42, and has a 40" vert. He's got a chance to learn this year and potentially start next year, once DJax and Hump are gone. B

LB Jack Cichy - He would have probably been a second or third round pick had he not torn his ACL. He has the potential to be a big steal at the end of the sixth. A

I think that gives us a solid B overall. But if you include JPP and the way we were able to turn 1.7 into four picks in the top 100, I think we probably deserve a B+.

No. 12: DT Vita Vea - I would give this a B+. Not an A that James would have got, but still a good grade.
No. 38: RB Ronald Jones II - Again I would give this a- B+
No. 53: CB M.J. Stewart - This is the one I didn't like. I would grade it a - C
No. 63: CB Carlton Davis - Love the pick. Great CB - A
No. 94: OT Alex Cappa - Again love this pick always. A
No. 117: S Jordan Whitehead - There were better safeties on the board C
No. 144: WR Justin Watson - Didn't know him much but after reading it I like the pick. B+
No. 202: LB Jack Cichy - This might be a steal in the draft later down the road. A-

Bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C+ Grade 

Goals Entering the 2018 NFL Draft: The Buccaneers' coaching staff and front office will likely be fired if their team doesn't make the playoffs in 2018. Thus, the front office needs to put Jameis Winston in the best possible position to succeed, bolstering his shoddy protection and making sure the running game is much better. 

2018 NFL Draft Accomplishments: The Buccaneers really wanted Quenton Nelson, so when they saw that he was off the board, they traded down five spots with the Bills. Derwin James, a popularly mocked player to them, was still available at No. 12, but Tampa eschewed the safety upgrade in favor of Vita Vea. 

Vea is a very talented nose tackle, but spending a top-12 pick on a two-down player is questionable. Still, the Buccaneers did well to acquire more assets, as they had three picks in the second round as a result. One turned out to be a major reach (M.J. Stewart), while the other two choices were just fine. Ronald Jones has game-breaking talent, but I worry about him being in Tampa's crazy party environment. 

The Buccaneers finally found some offensive line help near the end of the third round, taking Alex Cappa, a very powerful blocker who should be able to spring open holes for Jones. Two of Tampa's third-day choices were solid, but the team failed to find more offensive line help for Jameis Winston, who desperately needs it. 

If it wasn't for the trade, this would've been a dud of a draft for the Buccaneers. It was still mildly disappointing because Winston's blocking hasn't improved very much. However, Tampa's play in the secondary will at least be better, and that's crucial when considering all of the quarterbacking talent in their division.

From Walter, as @xlfrosti mentioned.

Taking defensive tackle Vita Vea in the first round over safety Derwin James was a puzzling move. Vea is a really good player, and will help a re-shaped defensive line that already added Beau Allen, Vinny Curry, and Jason Pierre-Paul. Safety was a just a need for the Buccaneers and it wasn’t addressed until the fourth round with Jordan Whitehead of Pittsburgh.

Between those two picks the Buccaneers got some starters in cornerbacks M.J. Stewart and Carlton Davis. Taken at No. 63 overall, Davis was a good value at the end of the second round. Running back Ronald Jones II is a playmaker and should get a majority of the carries for the Buccaneers. He may be an Offensive Rookie of the Year candidate. Alex Cappa has good potential at guard.

Sixth round guard Jack Cichy could stick as a nice backup if he can stay healthy. Had he not been injured last year, he may have been a top 100 pick.

Grade: B-

From sbnation.

I like our draft... Vea were the BPA on licht Board.. MJ stewart is the only one that i really dont like because i Wanted Donte Jackson!! But againt I trust Licht when we talk about draft!!! Davis us a steal at the end of the 2nd and Cappa probably become our starting guard.. We have the chance to get out with 4-6 starter down the road and its amazing!!!

28 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

That s quite an indictment on Jones, I hope there is actual real examples of this actually being a problem because this is the type of reporting I find annoying.

Jones' dad was a lifelong military man before he died. He had to organize the clothes in his closet by color. ? From what I've read, it sounds like he's a pretty humble, hard working guy.

I haven't found anything that even hints at there being a potential problem with Jones and partying.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Jones' dad was a lifelong military man before he died. He had to organize the clothes in his closet by color. ? From what I've read, it sounds like he's a pretty humble, hard working guy.

I haven't found anything that even hints at there being a potential problem with Jones and partying.

Thanks for the info.  For Walter to throw that comment out without Jones being disciplined by the team, I find irresponsible.  I think Davis was suspended for a game because of smoking weed with teammates.  I wouldn't even consider Davis situation from college to automatically turn into the ASJ mess while he was in Tampa.  I 'll get off my soap box about the standards for journalism has been flushed down the toilet a long time ago.  ?

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Thanks for the info.  For Walter to throw that comment out without Jones being disciplined by the team, I find irresponsible.  I think Davis was suspended for a game because of smoking weed with teammates.  I wouldn't even consider Davis situation from college to automatically turn into the ASJ mess while he was in Tampa.  I 'll get off my soap box about the standards for journalism has been flushed down the toilet a long time ago.  ?

I think the quote is misquoted he’s not talking about RoJo he’s talking about Jordan Whitehead. He says it could be a good pick but Whitehead comes with off the field concerns so Tampa’s nightlife worries him.

Bucsb_logo.gif Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jordan Whitehead, S, Pittsburgh  C+ Grade  
Jordan Whitehead makes sense as a fourth-round prospect. He's small, but could eventually become a starter if he remains clean off the field. The problem is that Whitehead has some off-field issues, and I'm not sure the crazy Tampa party environment is the right fit for him. 

Archived