Draft Grades

bucsfan333

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

Reading through grades for the draft, it seems like pretty much everyone is knocking us for taking Vea over James.

Pretty safe to say most wanted James if the big three were gone. What's the saying though... the games arewon and lost in the trenches? Vea would have been a Skin if we didn't take him. James last until the 17th pick. Not saying Vea is better than James but safeties got the cold shoulder in FA as well. Build from the lines out. 

Definitely wanted Derwin James. I think he is going to be an Elite Safety. It hurt because he was my favorite player from my favorite college team. He fit a huge need for my favorite NFL team and we had a chance to get him. We passed. It’s over. I’m over it.

Vita Vea I think was a really good pick. Vea has the potential to be elite. With the signings of Allen and Unrein it means we can take it slow with Vea and really maximize his potential. Not to mention we got 2 potential starting cornerbacks and a starting guard. 

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

If this was  Licht s last  draft I 'll always appreciate how he stuck to his board and didnt reach for need.  There were misses, but ultimately scouting prospects I would consider him above average.

I put it at 0% Licht isn't running the draft next year. The town should burn if he's not there. His contracts have been great. Drafting gets a thumbs up from me. He always had a smile on his face. I'm a HUGE fan. 

9 minutes ago, deuces22wild said:

I put it at 0% Licht isn't running the draft next year. The town should burn if he's not there. His contracts have been great. Drafting gets a thumbs up from me. He always had a smile on his face. I'm a HUGE fan. 

I would write a letter.

DT Vita VeaNot crazy about this pick, but I've come to accept it now. If he reaches his potential he could become the best player in the draft. He has Haloti Ngata during his prime potential. However, it's a big 'if' with him. He does provide size and ability to eat the run game though. I hope he puts it all together. I think we left better talent on the board though IMO. C+

RB Ronald Jones IIThink we reached a little here, but with the run on RBs that was beginning I don't fault it. He's a home-run threat every time he touches it, but not sure he'll hold up/develop into a true 3 down RB. Never the less he's a legit weapon focal point in an offense. B

CB MJ StewartI thought there were better CB options still available here (including our next pick). He looks limited to the slot, but could develop into a nice player. I don't think he has a 'high' ceiling though. C-

CB Carlton DavisI really liked this pick. He's a CB with size, attitude and physicality, something we desperately needed on the outside. He fits our scheme really well. Needs to work on his PI penalties though. A-

OL Alex CappaI like that we addressed the OG spot. He's raw, but flashes. He needs to be developed though coming from a small school program. B

S Jordan WhiteheadThis was an interesting pick. I'm not sure I really knew of him. From what I've read though he's athletic and could be a gadget player. Looks like  special teamer though to start. C

WR Justin WatsonOne of those classic HWS guys you take a flier on late in the draft. Has a chance (slim) to be a better pro than college player. C

LB Jack CichyMight have been my favorite pick we made. He was though of as a 2nd round prospect heading into the year and before the injuries. He's very headsy and could push to start sooner than later. Love this pick. A

*Overall, I liked that we moved back in the 1st round and picked up 2 extra 2nd round picks. We filled needs in the 1st couple rounds, but I'm just not sure we maximized value.

Overall grade: B-

Archived