Evaluating & Projecting The Roster

Heimdallr

43 minutes ago, whitehops said:

i will say, i doubt treadwell is a cut candidate since there would be $5,215,900 in dead money ($2,506,360 on top of his cap hit this year). trade is more likely, but i don't think we have anything better behind him and wouldn't trust relying on cayleb jones, stacy coley or any of our new UDFAs to produce if needed.

I agree, there is no chance Treadwell gets cut, and he has little trade value. He will be on the roster.

People forget that he is only 22 years old, and it isn't unusual for WRs to take 2-3 years to really hit their stride. 

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I agree, there is no chance Treadwell gets cut, and he has little trade value. He will be on the roster.

People forget that he is only 22 years old, and it isn't unusual for WRs to take 2-3 years to really hit their stride. 

Might take 2-3 years to hit their stride, but I'd guess in most cases there was steady progression leading to that point. I don't think that's the case for Treadwell. I don't see how he emerges over Thielen and Diggs and he's not going to play in the slot over Wright.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Might take 2-3 years to hit their stride, but I'd guess in most cases there was steady progression leading to that point. I don't think that's the case for Treadwell. I don't see how he emerges over Thielen and Diggs and he's not going to play in the slot over Wright.

Diggs or Thielen are going to move into the slot for 3WR sets. Treadwell makes more sense than Wright as the #3 WR if you are just looking at playing style

Good point about Treadwell’s dead cap, forgot about that. They won’t want to burn cap space to release him, and even trading him would add to his cap hit this year. I don’t expect much from him but it’s totally fair to give him a 3rd year. They can hope that Coley or one of the UDFAs / PS guys can beat out King for the 5th spot, and/or 6th. 

27 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I think Treadwell is going to surprise a lot of people with Cousins, compared to Keenum. 

none of the previous QBs have seemed to trust him very much so i guess on one hand it might be good that he gets a "clean slate" with cousins. 

of course, he has to actually earn cousins' trust which is definitely a question mark.

Just looking, and there are still some veteran, free agent, lineman, that could be interesting additions.

G: Luke Joeckel - former top pick, good fit for a zone scheme

T: Austin Howard - started at least ten games in 6 straight years; 16 game starter at RT for the Ravens last year

G: Jahri Evans - started 14 games for the Packers last year

T: Will Beatty - Zone fit, was with DeFillipo in Philly last year

Not sexy options, but good depth and/or stop gap solutions.

8 hours ago, whitehops said:

none of the previous QBs have seemed to trust him very much so i guess on one hand it might be good that he gets a "clean slate" with cousins. 

of course, he has to actually earn cousins' trust which is definitely a question mark.

It’s not trust, so much as it is having a QB who’s going to read the entire field before the snap, instead of just half, and having a QB who will look at his backside reads while going through progression.  

Its hard to praise a receiver when there is such little production, but when you watch the coach’s tape, Treadwell, and Wright, were not only open a good amount of time, but they were also drawing very favorable matchups in coverage. Keenum missed this far too often because he wasn’t asked to make that difficult of presnap reads, or go through his progressions that deep. Cousins is a guy who is outstanding and diagnosing a defense presnap, and he’ll go through his full progressions, given enough time. 

With Cousins at QB, we should see a big uptick in production from the #3 and #4 receiver’s, who ever they turn out to be. 

Archived