Evaluating & Projecting The Roster

Heimdallr

48 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

You think Robison comes back? He hasn't been working out. His instagram is nothing but him fishing all offseason. I know he doesn't record everything but all these other guys at least show something in the gym.

Is that different from any other offseason from him? I'm not going to judge what a man does with what he does with his 24 hours in a day by what he posts on social media.

IF they keep five defensive ends, I think that Robison is one of them for sure. Weatherly has been passed up by Bower and Odenigbo is a guy they can likely get to the practice squad easier than Aruna.

Bower is still DE3 to me, but if one of Griffen/Hunter/Bower go down, the team would be better off with a vet like Robison bring DE3 over Weatherly/Odenigbo

Griffen, Hunter, Robison, Bower, Aruna, Joseph, Richardson, Johnson, Holmes 

9 d-lineman on the final roster seems about right. I can’t see Zimmer or Spielman cutting Robison and relying on backup/rotational ends with 10 snaps of experience between them. 

5 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

Weatherly has been passed up by Bower

I think Bower is/will be better but he was still a healthy inactive at the end of the year while Weatherly dressed for every game after the bye and both in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t see Zimmer or Spielman cutting Robison and relying on backup/rotational ends with 10 snaps of experience between them. 

I'd like to move on from Robison since he isn't very effective anymore but I agree that he'll be kept as experienced depth. Hopefully one of the younger guys can take over some of his snaps.

Starting DL: Griffen, Hunter, Joseph, Richardson

Rotational DE/edge depth: Bower, Robison, maybe Holmes if they use him sometimes at DE

Rotational DT (early downs): Jaleel Johnson (replaces either Joseph or Richardson)

Nickel DTs: Richardson, Robison, Holmes

Roster inactive or special teams only: Aruna

Pre-OTA projection

QB (3): Cousins, Siemian, Sloter

RB (4): Cook, Murray, Thomas, Ham

WR (5): Diggs, Thielen, Treadwell, Wright, Coley

TE (3): Rudolph, Morgan, Conklin

OL (10): Reiff, Easton, Elflein, Isidora, Remmers, O’Neill, Hill, Compton, Gossett, Collins

DL (9): Griffen, Hunter, Joseph, Richardson, Robison, Bower, Johnson, Holmes, Aruna

LB (6): Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson, Mata’afa, Downs 

CB (6): Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander, Newman, Hughes, Hill

S (4): Smith, Sendejo, Harris, Kearse

ST (3): Carlson, Quigley, McDermott

I have a hard time seeing the team keeping 10 lineman with the versatility in the current core (and the fact that teams rarely keep ten lineman)

Elflein goes down, Easton kicks inside to center and is replaced by Gossett/Isidora. Reiff goes down? Hill or O’Neill kick to the left side, Remmers slides out to tackle, and Gossett/Isidora come in.

speaking of lineman, I’ve noticed that Tom Compton is a rare name on these lists. 

1 hour ago, rpmwr19 said:

speaking of lineman, I’ve noticed that Tom Compton is a rare name on these lists. 

As is Josh Andrews.

I think both will have decent chances at a roster spot.

22 hours ago, Klomp said:

As is Josh Andrews.

I think both will have decent chances at a roster spot.

Andrews could have an inside track given that he's already worked with DeFilipo in a limited fashion.

Even though Compton and Cousins are best friends haha

I really am excited about the young LB depth they brought in to compete for the last couple spots. The top 4 are pretty secure here (Barr, Kendricks, Gedeon, Wilson), with the last three guys (Downs, Dooley, Taylor) probably competing for two spots to open the season (not including Brothers at this point). With the price tag on the starting LBs going up, cheap depth is important.

46 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Someone please stop me from drawing parallels between Hercules Mata'afa and John Randle....

His tape is crazy good. Haven't loved a college DL that much since Aaron Donald. 

Apparently, I never posted this, even though I created it several days ago, but I did modify it slightly now due to Mata'afa's position change.

Here's my early stab at the 53-man roster:

QB (3): Kirk Cousins, Trevor Siemian, Kyle Sloter

RB (4): Dalvin Cook, Latavius Murray, Mike Boone, CJ Ham (FB)

WR (6): Stefon DiggsAdam Thielen, Laquon Treadwell, Kendall Wright,  Stacy Coley, Korey Robertson

TE (4): Kyle Rudolph, David Morgan, Blake Bell, Tyler Conklin

OL (9): Riley ReiffRashod Hill, Mike RemmersNick Easton, Pat ElfleinTom ComptonBrian O'Neill, Aviante Collins, Danny Isidora

DL (9): Everson Griffen, Danielle HunterLinval Hungry, Sheldon Richardson, Jaleel Johnson, Tashawn Bower, Jalyn Holmes, Brian Robison, Hercules Mata'afa

LB (5): Anthony BarrEric Kendricks, Ben Gedeon, Eric Wilson, Kentrell Brothers (will be replaced by Devante Downs for first 4 weeks)

DB (10): Xavier RhodesTrae Waynes, Harrison Smith, Andrew Sendejo Mackensie Alexander, Terence Newman, Mike Hughes, Anthony Harris, Jayron Kearse,  Holton Hill  

ST (3): Daniel Carlson, Ryan Quigley, Kevin McDermott

Practice Squad: Ade Aruna , Cashaud Lyons, Dieugot Joseph, Storm Norton, Roc Thomas , Jack Tocho, Josiah Price, Brandon Zylstra, Jake Wieneke, Colby Gossett       

There’s a very fine line between an old NFL team and a young NFL team.

A few strategic roster cuts and a strong draft can turn a team young in one offseason. Conversely, an active team in free agency that fills holes with veterans instead of draft picks can get old overnight.

Now they are in a position to become one of the league’s youngest rosters in 2018.

It’s not hard to whip up a realistic 53-man roster that puts the Vikings average age at 25.8 years old, considering the moves they made during the offseason (and that’s taking into account about a dozen players getting a year older this summer).

https://zonecoverage.com/2018/vikings/the-vikings-may-have-one-of-the-five-youngest-53-man-rosters/

Archived